Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fitting heated grips: Questions

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by mattb, Jun 29, 2010.

1. G'day All.

I have a set of the below cheapo universal heated grips. They came with no instructions, and I've never fitted such things.

1) I'm guessing the red rubbery plastic stuff goes over the bars? And on the right side, over the throttle? With the heat pads placed over it.

2) Should I lay my foam grips straight over the heat pads, or wrap some electrical tape over the heat pads first?

3) I'm thinking I ought to wire the thing into the headlight wiring, so that it gets turned off when the ignition is off (as opposed to draining the battery).

4) Should I be concerned that I'm putting too much drain on my Hornet 600's electrical system? Should I be doing something like fitting LED indicator bulbs to lessen the drain?

2. Not having fitted heated grips myself, I can't really advise on how they fit physically. However, on matters electrical, I'd offer the following points.

I doubt if any modern electrical system will have any problem powering a set of grips, unless you're loading it up with all sorts of other stuff as well.

Personally, I would go back to the fuse box and look for a spare, ignition switched fuse position and feed from that. Hopefully Honda will have had the decency to include one. Given a suitably rated fuse (grip wattage divided by 12 and plus a bit), that would be a better bet than relying on the headlamp wiring, which is often a bit marginal anyway, and you still can't leave the grips on.

Failing a spare fuse in the factory box, I'd take a feed from the unfused (but still ignition switched) side of the fuse box to an inline fuse holder, then to the grips. Equally good functionally but not as neat.

Whichever way you go, a fuse is pretty much imperative. Or make sure your insurance covers fire. Electrical faults are the number one source of vehicle fires (followed by cig butts, but that's not a problem on a bike).
  3. I appreciate your need/desire to go down the budget route, Matt, so the only question I can answer from my use of Oxford grips is, no, they don't adversely effect the Hornet's charging system, and I have mine wired directly to the battery..
  4. The red stuff looks like heatshrink, (is it tubular?) you would slide it over the bars & slip the heat pad inside if that is the case, then shrink down the heatshrink to hold it all in place.

Then your grips would just slide over the heatshrink.

How much was the kit BTW? eBay special?
  5. Fitted a very similar set to a sv650 a few years back. Then there was no red foam.

When fitted the left bar was definately not as warm as the right as it was placed directly on the alloy bar which acted as a great heat sink. So definately fit the foam to left grip.

Not really necessary on the right as the twist grip is usually plastic

Power draw was not an issue. As per your suggestion good idea to take power off a switched circuit so battery doesnt go flat.

I simply put the original rubber grips directly over the heating elements and it was fine. A little trick I used was to spray hairspray into the grips which acted as a lubricant to get the grips back on but then set like a glue when dry.

I think you said you had foam grips. . . .isnt foam a natural insulator . . .a bad thing for your application??

Good luck
  6. I have foam grips over the Oxford Grips,I was consered they might melt but its not a problem,they are a bit thick though but it helps with the Vibrations
  7. Yeah I was thinking the same thing, looks like heatshrink to me too.

8. Never fitted those types before Matt.
    Regarding possible battery drain, I've got my oxford grips wired directly to the battery, in-line fuse. I've also fitted a relay that takes it power from the ignition circuit which automatically cuts the power to the grips once the engine is off.
    Relays are cheap, easy to wire and may save you being stuck with a flat battery if you happen to forget to switch the grips off.
  9. I bought (ebay, USA seller) and fitted these Oxford Hot Hands a month ago to my CBR600F4i ... these are NOT heated grips, but rather velcro fastened heated wrap-arounds on the existing bike grip:

Overall, for what I paid (about AUS $90 incl postage), it's done the job, but if I had my time again I would pay even twice more to get the Oxford Hot Grips, not only because they are cleaner looking (being integrated replacement heated grips), but because they have an electronic heat-adjustable thermostat. My Oxford Hot Hands simply get too hot after about 5-10mins, requiring a switch off and switch on again when things get cold - it's still much better than frozen hands, but would prefer a controllable thermostat version like the system on the Oxford Hot Grips.

I also hooked these heated units up to an existing RELAY that I installed to power a 12V cigarette lighter socket (to charge my mobile) - no problems at all, these heated wraparound grips don't take that much power (I think it's way less than 100W, comparable to two headlights).

Yeah, so your heated elements should do the job well - just hook them up to a relay, which is very easy to install - Jaycar Electronics will advise on how to hook one up to the battery and ignition or whatever other voltage trigger. I would personally not hook them up directly to the battery without a relay, because I want EVERYTHING on my bike to switch off when I take the keys out of the ignition, just to be sure. The last thing you want on a cold winter's overnight trip out to Woop Woop, is forgetting to switch off your heated grips overnight, only to be greeted in the sub-zero degree morning with a flat battery, and you have to reach a booked motel somewhere else 300kms away ....
  10. Those elements look exactly the same as the ones I just bought but different coloured heat shrink, and yes, it is heat shrink. I was thinking of wrapping some electrical tape or something around the left bar for insulation, then the elements, then the heatshrink over that to keep it all tight.

I've had a work mate re-solder the wire connections on the switch as one of them was loose. And once I get my soldering iron and solder I'll be doing the same with the connections on the elements themselves as they look a bit weak. Not bad for about $5 off eBay from hong-kong though.

I'm liking the idea of putting a relay in from a switched circuit. I was just thinking of attempting a sort of warning buzzer that would sound if I were to switch off the key but leave the grips on. A relay would be more practical though.
  11. Thanks all.

The supplier is currently out of these, but when they get some more in - and I snap up a couple more! :) - then I'll post up a link for purchasing them as you can't scoff at...$6!

I hooked it up temporarily to the battery yesterday - nice! :)
  12. $6? You're kidding? I'll be in that!

Edit: Any idea when that will be? There's an Icicle ride coming up very soon...
  13. I don't suppose anybody has come up with a creative way of something similar for pillions?

My hands get cold, but nothing I can't handle. My poor Girlfriend on the back though has really poor circulation and her hands actually go straight past blue and turn black. Thermal glove liners are helping but is there some sort of heated gadget for pillions that would stop her hands from scaring the kiddies?
  14. Mate of mine at work just showed me a link about 30 mins ago for battery operated heated gloves. I think it was on web bike world or something.
  15. Cut some holes in your jacket so she can play with your belly hair as you ride along!
    Is she holding a grip or bar somewhere? You could wrap something like matt's warmer round the grip or bar an it's do the same thing
  16. Hi Matt, how do you find the heated grips, are they hot or warm.
    I've just purchased a few sets myself and noticed the switch is just an on off switch so I'm curious if they get to hot.
  17. Oscar, I've not fitted them yet so don't know yet, however I temporarily tacked them onto the battery and held them in my hands, and I'd say they'd be warm rather than hot when sitting under grips and felt through gloves.
  18. Thanks Matt, I've ordered some from ebay and have found quite a few sites last night on how to install them so I'm looking forward to warm hands soon.
    I'm not the best with electricity so I might have to get my father in-law involved if I have problems, he's a sparky. He's a grumpy bustard who dislikes bikes but a bottle of wine and pizza might tempt him to take over for me if needed.
  19. That's right (a message to all) they're back in stock and on ebay. I can't access that site from work, but it'll be pretty self-evident what I'm talking about!

I've bought a set for each bike, plus one to experiment making a heated jumper with (to give heat in the pectorial / shoulder region).