Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fitting a Ventura rack & bag for an '01 VTR250

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by VC, Jun 3, 2005.

1. I just bought a 2nd hand Ventura rack & bag for my VTR250 (2001)... it came with the bag, pack rack, and L-brackets... but I'm not sure what to do with it. It didn't come with any screws, bolts, nuts, washers, etc. Do I need them? Anyone out there with advice? Cheers.

2. Find out where the bolts would fit through the bracket and the bike. Then get the thread sizeand drop by your local hardware like Bunnings and buy yourself some long high tensile strength bolts (they aren't really strong, but that's the strongest they stock). Buy some washers as well and fit them on.
  3. Err... this might be a stupid question but what do you mean by 'long'... and long enough for what? Should I be looking for a hole in the bike frame to which the hole in each L-bracket lines up?
  4. Well, I have the ventura bracket for my ZZR-250. If you buy a ventura rack for your bike, it usually means its 'supposed' to line up to a set of threads somewhere. For instance, on my zzr, I just unscrew the silver bag hooks that come with the bike, and use the remaining holes to screw in the rack. I assume there's something similiar for the vtr250?

Anyways, when I mean long, its supposed to go through the bracket and onto the bike. I'd take pictures to show you what I mean, but bike's currently in repairs.
  5. Thanks. I think I've got it now. I went and had a look and it seems to make sense. I think I just need to get the longer bolts like you say. Nothing much else needed by the looks of things. Thanks for the tips.
  6. Just restarting this old thread as im in the same circumstance- just bought a second hand Ventura rack with no bolts for my Honda VTR250, and I have no idea how to fit it. Contacted ventura, and they wont email me a PDF.....could someone please help me- i've tried to work out how it all fits- but i'm totally stumped!
  7. Have a look here for your bike. Click on the pictures & see if you can figure it out from there.
  8. Hey, thanks mate- i spotted that yesterday- i can roughly work out positioning from that, but am stumped as to how to use the rear mounting on the L brackets....cant find any close up pics.

Mine is an 04 VTR- but i dont think that would make much difference.
  9. Hey STriple,

My old bike came with a Ventura rack. I'm pretty sure that the L-brackets are specific to particular models of bike. You may have to re-purchase a new set to suit, but once done, they should fit the other components as they are standard. I'm pretty sure a set on Inhex screws suitable to the bike will come with any new bracket.

This is cut from the Ventura website:
    L Brackets
    These are individually designed and engineered for each different model motorcycle. One of the design criteria is to make them look and fit in with the overall design and concept of the bike. As you can imagine, this can vary considerably depending on the model. Full fitting instructions and fitting kits are supplied with each set of L-Brackets.

You should be able to pick out what model number L-Bracket you need here:
    Perhaps this one:

Best of luck!