Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Fishtailed, but no spill

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by bulby, Feb 10, 2012.

1. I fishtailed going down Westgate Bridge. No spill, luckily.

There was a piece of styrofoam sheet on my lane - the thing was big enough to cover most of the width of the lane. It also came with free extras like cage in front braking hard, tailgating cage on me arse and no room on other lane.

So basically, here's my reaction:
    1. Clutch in and stay in
    2. Front brake, released it when going over styrofoam, reapply after
    3. Didn't apply rear brake until after I've gone past the styrofoam
    4. A continuous chain of profanity all the way through

I applied both brakes progressively, but rear tyre broke traction quite early - I've applied more rear brake before doing the same speed with no dramas.
    Analysing the situation, I might have applied the rear brake a bit too early (i.e. I haven't cleared the styrofoam sheet at the time).
    Or, maybe it was because I was going downhill?
    Road condition was average, apart form that evil styrofoam sheet.

Anyhow, got to the office, checked everything. Bike is fine, no signs of any involuntary discharge in my pants
  2. Morning Bulby, I would have kept in gear, rolled over decellarating and not touch the brakes 'UNLESS' space up front was reduced to dangerous level
  3. #3 jag131990, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Mate your brake locked up your rear more than usual because you need to stay in gear. You remove all compression/engine braking to the drive and its much easier to lock up the rear this way. Especially when hard on the front brakes and all weight transferred there
  4. Note taken. Thanks, guys.

@goddie. There wasn't enough room to slow down by rolling along in gear. I got distracted by the shiny white object on the bitumen and was a bit late with my anticipation and reaction. (Another BIG mistake on my part)
  5. #5 robsalvv, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    True, but studies show that the fastest and shortest ebrakes (only by a small margin) are when you do declutch the engine from the rear wheel.

Bulby, I think it's more likely that you were amped and used more rear brake than you think you did. It was put to me once, than in an ebrake, you can't use much more rear brake pressure than what you get from stepping forward with the right foot and then pressing down with the big toe.

In an ebrake you don't want to leave the rear brake step to later. It should be one of the early steps. Plenty of advice on ebraking on NR - have a look.
  6. main thing bulby is, You are ok, kept the bike upright.
  7. That makes sense too. I'll go through the posts again and refresh my memory.

And yeah. I was literally lol-ing after the initial shock. Lesson learned, glad nobody was hurt :)
  8. The reason your rear brake locked up the back wheel, was because you used it :)
  9. Bit harsh Raven... ;) remember he's on a 250 and the brakes probably aren't up to the standard of the Tona. I used to use the rear on my 500F yet I hardly ever go near the rear on my 675.
  10. Yeah...that came across a bit wrong...sorry.

I was alluding to the fact that rear brakes on a bike are quite prone to locking up, especially in the hands of new riders.
    But yeah....one usually can't rely on the front brake alone, on regular 250 bikes.
    Bit of a tough spot for new riders.

I use the rear, mainly just to keep my sense of touch with it, but the 675 does only require the front for true braking.
  11. Down hill will do that to you every time. The weight is already partly transferred to the front.
  12. ^ :rofl:
  13. :). You saw my veiled attempt at humour, Bulby. :)