Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

first wet weather ride

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by greenrider, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Did anyone of you more seasoned and experienced riders out there have any apprehension about getting out there in the wet. I'm pretty new at this only been on the road for three months and hadnt rode in the wet until the last few days ... (thanks Melbourne!!). I was told that it would be best to avoid conditions such as rain and excessive wind but I didnt agree and gave it a go. I didnt think I was doing myself any favors by being soly a fair weather rider as I guess you do at some time come across some and definately need the experience in all conditions. Because Im riding to work daily I cant see the piont in getting out there when the sun shines only. So far I didnt find any problems with it (riding in the wet) as I slowed down, breaked gradualy when required and kept larger distances between me and the cagers, avioding those white lines and keeping well away from those oil slicks that rise to the top at lights. I have to go down the western ring road and found that the spray from passing traffic is abit annoying. What are some of the other things that I need to consider when riding in the wet besides the things I am doing. Id like to keep riding in the rain and would hate to be put off by doing somthing stupid that I didnt know about.

2. Being a new rider myself, I'm not sure I really have much to offer in the way of tips or experience at the moment. But I do know how you feel when it comes to caution in the wet.

The my very first ride on my new shinny machine, it was a little overcast, but I wasn't going to let that stop my rush of adrenaline. So I off I go, with Voyager kindly keeping an eye on me. Well, the ride was going well......right up until the overcast sky turned into torrential rain, bordering on hail.....

....I tell you what, never seen big bad bikies ride like scared chickens for the nearest cover!

But we waited it out....and in spite of the 3 litres of water his leather jacket soaked up Voyager was even enough of a good sport to keep riding with me for a while after the rain stopped.

So off to an early start with the wet weather riding for me...but it was good. I think it was only after it happened to us 2 more times on the next two rides that Voyager decided it might be time to name the bike "rain god".

Thankfully though, we managed to break the bad run of luck with the fantastic beginners ride to Merrideth that voyager organised.
  3. basically it seems like your doing all the right things from what you have mentioned
    Phil and I got a soaking this morning as well riding in
    I really do enjoy riding in the rain
    BUT that could be just because of the fact we moved down here from Darwin a few months ago :p
    and I have missed the rain immensely since we have moved down.

One thing that I keep telling myself is we can be even more invisible in the wet due to the lack of visibility and that goes for ours as well with wet visors and fog ups

Your doing really well heading out there and experiencing it and learning how you and your bike performs in the wet

edited because I forgot to mention I am only a newbie rider myself
  4. Sounds like your doing great. Just do what your doing nice and easy.
  5. Yep plus when you're able to get above 80k's turn your head slightly as the rain will blow off your visor! Remember visibility is reduced both theirs & yours! I ride every day but adjust my riding to suit the conditions!
  6. One thing to be really careful about is being able to be seen if the roads are wet and other drivers have their lights on . The worst time is sunset. The lights from cars driving towards you in the opposite direction create reflection and glare on the road and you may only appear as a silouette by the cars behind you . The threat is being rear ended .
  7. And it goes without saying that if you make sure your tyres are always properly inflated and have the right amount of tread when it's dry, they'll be your very best friends when it's wet.
  8. Thanx for the replies all. ONe thing mentioned that I never even considered is the invisablilty factor is magnifed in the wet. I suppose too it is only made worse by those cagers that dont wash their windscreens and have distorted vision as a result. Just makes me want to slow down that little bit more.!!! Turning your head to let the rain drops run off is a brilliant idea will have to give it a try next time. Its funny because I too actually enjoy riding in the rain too and I know this may sound abit sad but was actually hoping we would get the forcast rain today this afternoon so that I could ride home in it after work and get to wear my new waterproof pants once more... :cool:
    I know I have a lot to learn and cant take anything for granted and really dont fancy finding things out the hard way so all the great advise really helps.
  9. Thought about tyres too. Im lucky coz mine are all but brand new. since I have been riding they dont look like they have lost any pressure. To be honest Ihavent checked then since I got the bike... (three months now)... Proberbly a big NO NO ... I guess i better get into the habit. :oops:
  10. Meh who cares if you bike is responding well and handles fine then whatever, i think im going up to 4-5 months on my rear and 2-3 months on the front.
  11. Top advice from someone who has lost their licence....... :roll:
    Your reckless attitude to pretty much anything to do with riding has no place with regards advice to novice riders (of which I suspct you are yourself).

Regards, Andrew.
  12. The only thing keeping you upright in the wet, is your tyres ability to shed the water away. The less worn they are the more adept at getting rid of the water, ergo. much safer! :D

Speaking of the dirty windscreens on cars and such, the same can be appled to visors. Nothing like a dirty, blurred visor to make riding in the rain absolutely no fun at all. :)
  13. :applause: +1
  14. Oh wow, i loose my license and suddenly i don't know how to ride, thats great, don't worry about the fact that i can actually live through everything i do means something and no its not luck because i have the worst luck.
  15. Maybe its not the fact you lost your license, maybe its the fact your telling someone whos new to riding that one of the most important factors, isnt that important.
    When i first started to ride i checked my tires once every month or so, now its nearly everytime i get petrol.

Just rememeber that little bit of rubber is really the only thing between you riding safely or you sliding down the ground on your arse. other then common sence and safe riding, which alot of riders seem to lack lately.
  16. ...Havnig less air in the tyres isn't a bad thing it increases your contact patch, although the bike won't drop into corners as fast or handle at faster speeds aswell as it would with the right air pressure, not that learners should be going 150km/h+.
  17. So the bike will corner differently and won't travel as well at speed,
    oh, and in the wet you're buggered because the grooves won't work as designed. :roll:

Lower tire pressures are an advantage for stunting - but hardly ideal for new riders
  18. I've never had trouble in the wet and true for the stunting but is fine for learners, also its fine for speed but you have to work a little harder.

Im not talking heaps im just talking 5-10 psi.
  19. Christ! Cleverlie..that IS heaps!
    This is just bad advice to be giving any new riders...
    Dropping your pressures 5-10psi because it's raining is just plain incorrect advice for the reasons you state.
    It has merits under specific circumstances, but they do not fit in this thread, for newer riders, mate.

Keep your tires at or near the recommended pressures for dry AND wet riding, so that the tread remains opened up. If anything...tyres could be up a few psi in the wet...but not too far or they are adversely effected.

20. I never said drop your PSI..just that fact you don't have to check everytime you go out/get petrol and if your tyres get in the area or 5-10 psi low then you pump up all i was saying is you don't have to be anal about it.