Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

first weekend on my 02 ZX9R

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Camoridz, Jun 3, 2008.

1. this is an instant response to the other thread 'sick of seeing small bike reviews etc...' I bought a 2002 ZX9R last week and did near 900 kms over three days on the weekend.

Sydney- out and around blue mtns-canberra-out and around canberra nad a long way home to sydney.

Coming off a thundercat i am immediately pleased with the extra power- its lazy around town but has plenty of punch when asked of it- i did not time it but even without full throttle the time to go from 100-200kph was miniscule.

One problem i found with the thundercat was that on australian country roads the bike would bounce over the bumps in the road- fiddled with suspension a bit but could not match my dads R1200ST for sucking up the bumps. This problem is sooo much better on the slightly heavy ZX9R. From all i could read befor i bought the bike (and a strong reason i sought one out) is that it is supposed to accomodate taller riders (me= 6'4) and its a little heavier- but a better bike for country roads then its immediate competitiors.

Fuel range is about 250 a tank which i though was a little down at 250 a tank- but will watch to see improve post a service (NB: Anyone know a trustworthy kawasaki mechanic in sydney?).

I still have meny more trips on the bike but wish i had gone up to 1000cc (or actually 900cc) bikes earlier as its sooo much more fun.

hmmm... will i get complacent about the acceleration of this bike and go for a ZX12R next? :grin:

Cheers

2. hmmm... will i get complacent about the acceleration of this bike and go for a ZX12R next? :grin:

Cheers[/quote]

Yes, you will...have fun.

3. Flywheels in Alexandria are supposed to be pretty good. i say 'supposed' because my own experience with them so far is limited to a routine service so I can't fully vouch for them. But they seemed OK, and I heard good things.

4. ahhh this is what I like to see.

Nice bike!

5. I agree with everything in your review. I've had my 02 zx9 for almost 2 years now. It was my first upgrade from a 250 and i dont think i got used to (or complacent about) the acceleration until after a year or so. After then I would consider a bike with a better power to weight ratio (eg a more modern litre bike) but realistically there are few times in my 50 km a day commute that i would get to use the extra power to weight (that might change the longer I ride) .

So i think the zx9 will keep putting a big smile on my face twice a day for quite a few years from now. The riding position really suits me and is a good compremise for someone my size, 5 8", who does a lot of commuting.

The zx9's seem to be one of the best value bikes around second hand and I don't really know why.

The only things I could complain and they are:

I get <230 km per tank.

I can't find an insurance company that will offer me a reasonable price for comprehensive (less that ~1200 pa). I have a quote for 350$ comp for a cbr125rr and I would probably be more likely to crash that bike, becuase I'd spend more time surrounded by cars.

But I believe that the extra fun I get easily makes up for those two small niggles.

6. hey nick, good call

maybe their pure rip-your-arms-off acceleration doesn't match some of the other 1ltr stuff but it seems quite practical for a Jap muliti. I have spoken to some who bought a ZX9 years ago and although they moved on to other big jap multis they came back to the ZX9 cause its a better all rounder.

Interesting about the insurance- my quote was over $2K but my father did the same quote on his name (just for interest sake) and got about $350 for comp insurance!

MEanwhile i will be riding with a smile on my face and booking in to another track riding course so i get the most of my bike- and do it as safely as is reasonable.

Cheers :grin:

7. ZX9s are hardcore bikes, and in the right hands will keep up with any of the latest tackle on the road. Enjoy.

8. woot. thumbs-up. Good bike choice!!

If you don't want to attract Ktulu's vengence rulez. then: sign_pics. nopic.

I average about 220km to reserve, often less, but when I pootle around I can get as much as 300km to reserve...

The ZX900F1 and F2 are the last of the line and the best of the line too. A pipe and filter would be a very simple mod to unleash some more power... and you probably wont even need a carby adjustment since they run a little on the rich side when tuned to factory specs...

You'll have many many years of joyful riding... :grin:

9. you're right slav, where are my manners...
    aVemiRi.

aVemllr.

bike is stock right now... had 10-15mm chicken strips on the B020 tyres so (along with other reasons) i was content with the idea it has been cared for in it 19K kms...

10. you're right slav, where are my manners...
    aVemiRi.

aVemllr.

bike is stock right now... had 10-15mm chicken strips on the B020 tyres so (along with other reasons) i was content with the idea it has been cared for in it 19K kms...

11. :cool: I have the same bike... with a few modifications though to personalize it. :) ...you'll have a long and happy life with it!

It's a mega pillion (chick) friendly bike too... especially if you refoam the pillion seat...

Um by the way, it's salv... slav is my east european country cousin. :LOL:

12. Awesome choice of bike, I have been really happy with my '98 model (even though I've heard some mutterings about the C1 I haven't had any trouble). It's very comfortable (I'm 6'2") and has plenty of get up and go, it's also pretty nimble through the twisties, it's the best allrounder I think (but I am biased :wink: )

13. Yep they are a great bike,in the 2 1/2 years i have had mine i have done 100,000 ks on it and no problems except a fuel pump so enjoy your bike :grin: