Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First VFR mods - where to start

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by Garido, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Hi all,

Bought my 2004 VFR a couple of months ago. Previous owner kept all stock and I'm now wondering what mods other VFR (or other) riders suggest?

I quite like the look of the bike as it is, but I'm sure there would be some worthwhile mods to be done (pipes for one thing).

Cheers

2. Take a look at vfrworld.com for a start. There are a lot of Aus owners there. Also ozvfr.net

Good luck with it. I've had my 2008 since new and have kept it mostly stock except for heated grips and a laminar lip screen.

3. Are you talking performance mods or looks mods or both (I guess).

Rear pipes are an obvious start, plenty of choice out there and plenty of opinions.

Also - velocity stacks (that fit the air box), sprocket size changes (either for top speed or acceleration), header pipes, spark plugs (can make quite a difference), throttle control, etc...

After that you need to get inside the engine.

As far as looks - all VFR's look great already, although you can go street fighter radical...

4. Can't believe no one has mentioned suspension. Or brakes. Get it set up for your weight and riding style. Stock VFR suspension is soft. Especially the forks. Adjust the ride height at the rear to sharpen up the steering geometry a bit. Makes a huge difference. Can't really see the difference, but will definately feel it when riding. And that's what it's all about.

5. Good point there - I always forget to consider suspension.

Also, look out for the famous dodgy regulator/rectifier on the VFR's...

6. Thanks guys, much appreciated. Will start with the suspension, than take it from there.

7. they make a really good supercgarger kit for them as well. worth considering.

• Like Like x 1
  8. A few owners shim the rear shock mount to raise the rear a bit and sharpen the steering. It works out about 3:1 - 4mm at the mount making about 12mm at the wheel. You'll find details at those VFR forums (add VFRD forum to the list). Different models have different hardware though, so check up for your model.

The simplest and cheapest suspension improvement for the most gain is to get springs for the forks suited to your weight (the stockers are almost firm enough for the weight of the bike with no rider aboard) and have the damping sorted to suit. The rear can be improved as well, though I find the front seems more undersprung and the higher priority, but the rear OK unless you're loading the bike up somewhat. Rear damping can also be improved though, even if the spring rate is right for you.

The dedicated forums have reams of good info on this and plenty of other stuff, with VFRD being the pick, IMO.