Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First track day in 10 years... any tips?

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by lemonchili, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Hello there,

I'm planning on doing a track at Morgan Park in November which will be my first track day in 10 years... Eeek!!! I've only ever done three before, all at Eastern Creek, all in the novice group, but I had a ball. I plan on going over the bike (a Buell X1) before hand and checking everything is tight and fixing a minor oil leak, removing the mirrors, maybe indicators too. I'll be driving out there and taking a stand and tools for suspension adjustments etc.

Any tips on other things I should check or should take to the track? I don't have full leathers, so any tips on where to get reasonably priced leathers and boots? I was thinking of getting 2-piece leathers so I can use them for saturday rides, but a couple of friends have commented that 1-piece are more comfortable to move around on the bike.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated,

2. Unless you like struggling in and out of one-peice leathers on the side of the road every time you stop, under the harsh Qld sun, then be sensible and buy a 2-piece set.

Don't get stressed about how long you've been off the track. A year or so ago, I did my first track day since 1984 and it just came flowing back, the smoothness, the line, the braking points, everything.

You'll be fine.
  3. And it's a ripper track too. :grin:

Food and water, I don't think the canteen is open for track days.
  4. Unless your racing 2pc suits are so much more convenient. Easy to take the jacket off between sessions too keep cool and when your out on Sunday rides you can just wear the jacket with some jeans so you don't look like a knob in a sardine suit while riding down to the shops.