Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First-timer on the Gold Coast

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Evvy886, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Hi all, I'm Evan. I joined the site as I have become very interested in purchasing a motorbike.

I have not quite figured out where to post my more specific questions, as I have a lot of them ha ha.

I have never ridden a motorbike before yet am keen and excited to delve into this new world. I am turning 28 in August so I have had over 10 years of driving experience and at this stage am looking for something fun and new such as riding a motorbike.

I live on the Gold Coast and I work part time as a courier/delivery driver and I also study full time at Griffith Uni.

I am currently in the process of looking at some affordable used bikes, I have budgeted upwards of $3000. This includes the bike itself and all the necessary apparel etc. This is not including the Q-ride and associated tests etc (Learner license).

I plan on sitting my Learners test this week sometime once exams are over, which will then allow me to progress in this process. I have being looking at bikes on various places such as eBay, gumtree and bikesale and others in order to gauge what is out there for my price point.

I came across one bike that was on eBay and was being sold by a local bike dealer, it was a 1990 Suzuki Bandit 250, there were no other details on the bike e.g. the GSF250V name, but apparently this bike is LAMS approved even though I could not find it on the list of approved bikes?

I've read plenty to not settle on the first bike you see, hence my continuing searches. But it seems that this bike is quite affordable, has received good reviews from other users on this site and it is actually quite a nice looking bike to me.

So it seems I kinda really want this one, I believe it will meet the LAMS requirements and also suit myself physically (I'm 177cms and appx 80KGs).

This is a bike that is powerful yet not to over the top and is ideal for a daily commuter which is what I'm after. I am sure I will enjoy the power it gives yet allow me to learn at my own pace, being completely fresh to motorbikes I want to take my time and enjoy the process, whilst being safe too.

I do have a question regarding the Licensing here in QLD, after getting the Learners license and then the updated card etc is it then allowable to ride the LAMS bike un-supervised? On that same note I am also planning to attend Q-Ride and complete that course.

I know I have more questions but I don't want to make this thread too long plus I am getting tired.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Regards Evan
  2. Welcome to Nutrider! :wacky:
  3. welcome to Netrider, heaps of QLD member that can help you out :)
  4. Hi Evan
    The Bandit 250 is LAMs as it is 250cc and does not appear on the list as a prohibited model.
    See pg 2 of the LAMS list pdf on the TMR web site where it lists prohibited machines (top of page 2).

You will need to be supervised while riding on your Ls
    but once you have successfully completed your QRide course you will then have an RE licence
    so will then be able to ride unaccompanied.

Best of luck :)