Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First time wet riding

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by port80, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Today was my first time riding in the wet, by that I mean it was not just spitting but leaving large puddles of water on the road. It was kind of fun, except for the slippery bits.

So I was thinking about ways I need to change my riding from dry days to wet days.

Obviously I need to allow more stopping time, about 1 second more depending on how bad it is. I cannot go as hard on the throttle too early exiting a corner, nor can I corner too hard.

A foggy visor was my main problem, I tried some green spray stuff that came on a pump action bottle but it left my visor very murky and streaky (helmet is KBC VR-1). The Dririders worked well as did the alpine star gloves.

Drivers were worse today than usual, the P plate commodore driver who must have better stopping power on his car than an F1 as he only needed a 1m gap. Also he didn't understand that I needed a 3 sec gap and over took me and sat right behind the other car *boggles*.

Is there anything else I should look out for as I will be riding all this week and the weather looks to be much the same.

2. generally man you got the idea take it easy be even smoother than usual and reduce lean angle in corners and this is usually done by reducing speed a little.

anyone else got anything else?

3. Tram tracks: ride across them at an angle avoid going parallel and avoid smooth metal roadwork plates, if you can.

4. Oh and coming up to the traffic lights I try to ride in the car wheel tracks. Sometimes there is a build up of oil in the middle of the lane. When it first rains this can be slippery.

5. So rain-x is good for helping rain bead [sp]. I went to my LBS and got that green liquid in a pump bottle, it proved to be useless. Better suggestions for anti-fog? Catcrap?

6. dishwashing liquid (although you need to do it oo regularly for my liking)

or just spit in it like a scuba mask :)

7. A good preventative to fog is just to make sure that the inside of your visor is VERY clean. I don't know the science - but apparently if it is slightly unclean then the water molecules now have something to attach to and thus fog will form easier. (Note: cleanliness won't stop fog, but will reduce it and will make it clear faster).

And of course - riding with the visor partially up...

As for things to look for... I think you already saw them all. In rain I do take it easier. This includes not lane-splitting as readily at lights. I still do it, but only when I know I have ample time to get to the front - last thing I want is to need to accelerate while riding on a white line...

8. You have some expertise with dish-washing liquid, Dan?

9. Trust me if your riding in the wet leave more than 1 second more.

Leave the distance you usually travel + at least that again, especially if you're inexperienced.

Trust me i know :cry:

10. apparently toothpaste works great as well. (This is vic's suggestion)

11. I had my first ride in the wet last week. I found it bloody terrifying!

My own tips for In the wet:

* Everything everyone else suggests - they're all much more experienced than me.

* GO SLOW. Make it 4 or 5 or 6 or 10 seconds stopping distance - whatever you're comfortable with. If the traffic's whizzing past you, who cares? would you rather get there half an hour late and wet, or 20 minutes late, wet, with scratches all down the side of your bike (this is the best-case, "not-wedged-between-two-mack-trucks" scenario)? Personally I'd rather spend a year being underconfident in the wet than drop my bike.

* PRACTICE. If you can, take some time to get away from traffic in the wet and just check it out. I spent about half an hour the other day just whizzing up and down this wet little backstreet near my place, practicing stopping in the wet, and getting a feel for what my bike could do, i.e: how much traction I have on different surfaces in different conditions: Try stopping in the relatively dry patch, then try stopping in a wet patch, then try stopping in a puddle, then on that oilslick in the middle of the road, then on the metal grate, just to get a feel for how the bike grips different surfaces when they're wet. After doing this I felt MUCH more confident in the wet (although I'm still nervous).

I think that these are really the two main things. Basically it boils down to: Be carefull and take your time building your confidence and your skills.

Once you know what you're doing, then you can worry about fanging around and doing stupid stuff... :D

or at least that's the theory I'm working on...

(Note: As sagelike as this post may sound, I should point out that I'm new too and so there's a good chance I don't know what I'm talking about...)

12. Be wary of painted white lines and those big arrows at intersections they tend to be slippery in the wet - be careful not to lose your footing when stopping at lights. As for cleaning visors I find that a little bit of metho on a cloth works well and helps prevent fogging.

13. I would have thought that the dishwashing liquid inspiration would have come to him when he was at the sink!!!

And yeah, stay away from the toothpaste (at least on the visor, anyway)

14. I used catcrap for a while, it's pretty bloody good but a bit too much time and effort to apply for this lazy fella.
    Solution to fog?
    I got a foggy mask, kinda like the fogoff things but it's only the nose piece and velcro's onto the cheek pads of my helmet. NO FOGGY VISOR NOW!