Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

first time rider nerves!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by hippo, Aug 12, 2007.

1. hey everyone,

i got my learners a few weeks ago, and the course was so ridiculously easy that i was way too overconfident. so i bought a bike, and thought i'd ride it home.

that was such a big mistake!

there is this massive difference between cruising around on a big empty space, and riding in traffic! also with an unfamiliar bike. especially in the city.
    good thing it was a second hand bike, cos i ended up having to replace both clutch and brake lever :(

so the bike is being delivered on monday, but now i'm too nervous to ride it from my house to the nearest carpark to practice! what do i do?

and is there anyone in the south east melb area (near springvale) who had some spare time to help me overcome my paranoia?
  2. Suck it up, take it easy and ride like everybody is out to get you. Also, stick to the least busiest routes, even if it takes you longer to get home. There's no other way of overcoming your fear other than meeting the challenge head on. Best of luck!
  3. My advice would be to get up early and ride around your local area. Just start off small, 10 mins here and there. You want to build up your nerves and get used to low speed riding with the clutch, taking off from a standing start etc.
    Give it a week or so of that, then head off somewhere nice and early for your carpark sessions. Just push your comfort zone a little at a time and you'll get there.
    Late at night can work, but it's dark and there's lots of wankers out then. At least in the mornings the sun is sort of up.

Regards, Andrew.
  4. i live pretty close but can only ride on sat/sun
  5. That's what I did. When I got home from work, I'd jump stright on the bike and ride around the streets for about 30mins.
  6. on monday when your bike arrives, sit on it and think... "what would Chopper say?"

7. What had happened to me on the first day of riding I got my bike and had a 20min ride then when straight to work on it.... Took me more than on hour to get there (normally 40min).

But if you do get a chance take it for a ride slowly around the block.
  8. I'm in the same boat. I didn't make it out of the driveway before I dropped it (don't attempt to adjust your jeans while sitting on a bike), a belt change later and I suddenly found myself on a busy road trying to go 60kph so I wasn't mown down by traffic when on the L's course I'd only ever done 25kph and hadn't even made it out of 2nd.

Every time I sit there with my bike idling, waiting to go, I feel sick, like I'm about to vomit and I don't want to do it. I think of a set of twisties that I love driving in my car and think that I have to do this to get there. I have to master the streets to get to the twisties.. I have to get out of my driveway make it onto that road trip with my best friend.. I have to look like an absolute twit in low riding jeans to look like a sexy biker babe eventually.. ok, maybe not that one but am I making sense?

I refuse to be the girl who lasted 2 minutes on a bike 'cos she was afraid. I clunk my baby into gear and go.
  9. After going solo in a plane 10 years ago during my pilots training I am not afraid of anything any more. Wow... stress and exhillaration at the same time, and no room to 'drop' it at low speed. But seriously stay local for a while.
  10. Yeah, I can probably help out.

I'm in the CBD, but don't mind riding out after work (except Tuesday), or on the weekend or something?

Does that sound useful? :)
  11. When I first got my bike after my Ls I had the guy drop it off at my place then took it for a ride down the street and came straight back. Couldn't handle the difference in riding conditions between the learner parking lot and the streets. :oops:
  12. Just take it slow and don't be hard on yourself. You'll learn soon enough and when you do you'll be very proud :)
    It took me about 2 months (weekend riding only) to stop the bad nerves and feel confident enough to ride through traffic.
    I still get nervous but just think, each time you hop on its experience and each mistake is something to learn from.
  13. Thats a pretty rough start man. Sorry to hear about you dropping your bike too Hippo, but dont worry, you have to start somewhere.

I would be sitting on the bike every chance you get. I am not sure if they do this in the Vic L's course, but in NSW they get you to feel your friction point out by moving one foot at a time, thats a really good way to get used to a new bike, quick.
    If you have enough room (and its flat enough, maybe the driveway?) practice riding your clutch and riding as slow as possible in a straight line with your feet on the pegs. Dont be afraid to put your feet down when needed, after a while you wont need to anywhere near as much. Then paddle your bike back to the start and start over.
    Im sure some of the guys who have offered on here will be a huge help on the weekend, but get them to take it really slow with you until you feel comfortable again.

It can really shatter your confidence when you underestimate a challenge, but the end result is worth facing the fear again.
  14. When I got my licence and my bike I thought I'll ride around my immediate neibourhood for a week or so then mabye I'll ride to work, however in the end I did a couple of blocks, a few roundabouts said to myself "remember your training, be alert and get out there and enjoy the experience". I rode out to work that afternoon as proud as punch and havn't looked back.

It is daunting but trust in yourself and relax any new challenge can be frightning, but once you face it your confidence will soar and you will wonder what the drama was. Remember the reasons why you want to ride, don't give up and enjoy learning.
  15. Heh. I was too busy flying and concentrating to be stressed...till I taxied off the runway! Then I was nervous!

Regards, Andrew.
  16. i can teach how to ride fast. but no stunt yet :grin:
  17. Would you be interested in helping a couple of learners out? :grin:
  18. um... depends :grin:
  19. why not do some extra training. when i did the hart intermediate course there were a few people like you there: fallen off their bikes on the first ride.
    they also have shorter and cheaper practice sessions where you can just ride around the course on their bikes.
  20. When I got my bike, I took it really slowly. Baby steps everywhere.
    I put on all my gear and sat on the bike and got familiar with using all the controls first. Did a few rounds of "pretend" starts, gear changes and stops.

Then I just rode up and down my street which is pretty quiet. I would ride one direction, put it back in neutral and walk it around a U turn and ride back. Eventually I'd get it up to 2nd gear.

It's a lot different on a road. You have to REALLY check for cars coming.

Once I got comfortable, I went around the block.