Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First time in the wet!!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by ~DadAgain~, Jul 8, 2008.

1. So its been p*ssing it down all night and there way no sign of any reprieve when I woke up and I figured it was going to be time to do my morning commute in the wet.

'Mumagain' lay in bed and begged me to catch the bus this morning - but I stayed firm and pointed out that I have to ride in the wet eventually so today was as good as day as any to start.

I put on all the gear, but wasnt quite sure how waterproof it would be - so had a complete change of clothes in the gearsac (in a plastic bag in case THAT proved to be leaky). I had no idea what my visibility was going to be like and had nightmares that I was going to be trying to wipe my visor every 5 seconds so I could see where I was going. Still it was only 6:10am and there was going to be very little traffic - so it seemed like a good time to get out and see what happened.

Turns out I had no visibility problems whatsoever - which means EITHER I have a magic visor which somehow repels rain or... I dunno what - but I'm not complaining!

My $30 waterproof overpants from the Kathmandu sale did a fantastic job and kept the trusty draggins completely dry and my dri-rider jacket did indeed keep me bone dry - FULL points to all the gear!! :grin: :grin: (Even the inside of the gearsac was bone dry so my 'double-bagging' strategy was complete overkill!)

All in all I have to say I really ENJOYED the ride! :? Not sure if that makes me some kind of freak but there was a certain pleasantness to being completely warm and dry and yet feeling the gentle pitter-patter of the rain whilst I cruised the gentle curves of waterworks road at a comfortable 70kmh.

All in all - another good day! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

2. all i can say is i have been there - only I had shit tyres and it was impossible to ride on them without losing traction no matter what lean angle you were on.. :?

got a set of pirelli's on now and today was the first time in the wet - really wasnt much different from when the sun was out and shining.. full marks ! just dont get too confident with the wet surface and go a little *too* hard :D

3. Yep .. welcome to the loony-bin ya freak :p
    Well Done! I ride in whatever the heavens care to dish out. I think once last year I chickened out in heavy flooding. I enjoy the feeling of being bone-dry whilst riding in a downpour. ( except for yesterday when my gear failed me :roll: ). What I enjoy mostly is the game of strategy I play whilst in poor visibility, trying to place myself in the safest position whilst reading the traffic, predicting possible actions of others. My wife and most of my friends & workmates think I'm a 'freak' . Better to be unique I say :wink:

Congrats on getting out there, however be very alert and take things a little slower.

4. Well done. :applause:

I've had a few good rides in rain so far and apart from the little white death traps (any road marking), it's been fun. Yesterday morning, there was suds all over the roads, but at no point did I feel like the bike was sliding.

5. That gentle pitter patter’s alright…it’s the violent buckets that getcha! :grin:

What they ^^^said plus:
    Bad weather is often blamed for accidents, but the real reason is not riding to conditions. You’ve got two main issues, changes in traction and changes in visibility. For the former increase your stopping and following distances, and consider using a 50:50 split between front and rear brakes; make your acceleration ‘delicate’ or ‘normal’ but not firm. As it dries up a dry alley may form between tyre tracks; have a think about if it’s best to ride there.

For the visibility issue maybe your ‘magic’ visor keeps the mist away but there’re a lot of other road users without such sorcery and consequently they might not see you, so think about how you might ensure you get their attention, positioning, lights, clothing etc. A lot of the other road users are warm and dry and they have no interest in your problems. Oh and watch for pedestrians running for cover from the rain, and…ooh necroposting…bummer.

6. there's somthing enjoyable about engine braking into a round-a-bout with the back end going a motoGP style slide out to the side! only seem to do this in the rain. it's fun.

7. but it is also true that the stupidest drivers to come out in the rain too!!

8. with the tyre problems. i have arrow max its been fine but all i did was changing the pressure of the tyres. so when i think its going to rain the next day or through out the week. i put the tyres to 29 front 32 rear. so has a lil more grip on the road.

9. PRO!! i'll be pooping myself if it even fish tail only about 5cm.. its not much but it feels a whole lot different when ur on the bike and it happened to you.

10. As everyone with wet riding experience has said...Riding in the rain is really quite refreshing, providing you ride within yours and the bikes limits, AND account alot more for the knuckleheads, you will be quite safe. :grin: And don't try to hurry!~

Lucky you had good visibility, but don't always count on it...at worst it can be like trying to see what's on the other side of a goldfish bowl full of water. :LOL:

John.

11. Just take it easy, err on the side of caution. Glad your visor handles it ok.
    I use RainX on my visor - water beads off.

12. I love the extra camaraderie between riders. "Hello, equally crazy person!"

I hate that cold, damp feeling in your pants 5 minutes into a ride when you realise that it's once again time to re-waterproof your overpants.

(Not to be confused with a warm, damp feeling in your pants, which would best be solved either by going to the bathroom before you leave, or Depends).

13. I hear ya, how awesome is it! :grin: ...I got caught in a major storm about 2 months ago ...that was scary ...

14. Can you use that one mirrors as well? I was caught in the rain today and had a foggy visor covered in drops of water and to top it off couldn't see a damn thing out of my mirrors.

Not a fun trip :?

15. Yes, I need to re do mine.