Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First time - I'm so excited!!!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Trisha14, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Now before everyone gets carried away and thinks I've only just lost my virginity or something....

:p :p :p :p :p

I did my first lane split on the way to work this morning!!!! Oh my god I can't believe it. I was only just thinking that it would be ages before I ever attempted such a feat (I know it's common for all you experienced riders but hey I'm a newbie!!), when I saw the gap between the cars was bigger than normal. I thought hey f*&k it!! And there you go - the rest is history!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

2. Well done!
    Don't let it get to your head though!
    ALWAYS proceed with caution when 'filtering'.
  3. congrats..... just be careful of cars changing lanes and some of the gaps cars think they can actually fit in
  4. nice one, it's a great feeling to get home 10-15 minutes earlier through peak hour traffic thanks to the filter :D i love punt road in the afternoon as i get to smile as i cruise past all the suckers in their cages :p

edit: hey deafwish you're the odd one out this was a zzr250 only post until you contributed :p
  5. Well done mate!! It's exciting stuff. :)

I've only recently started lane splitting and only when I feel comfortable. I agree with Daz, proceed with caution.

:D :D
  6. Hey congrats... It is exciting! I started doing it about two weeks ago, and just tapped my first mirror (doh!)
  7. LOL!! I've only been splitting for 3 or so weeks, it's great huh! I haven't knocked a mirror yet though!

I knocked a mirror right off a car a few years ago, but that was from the back of a horse!
  8. :LOL: What was the persons response to that?? lol
  9. I have to say, I feel so much better that there's others out there who are a bit iffy about lanesplitting.

I've been riding for several years, and some days I feel up to it and some days I don't.

I often feel like a bit of a dill sitting back in traffic, dithering about whether to give it a shot or not, but generally work on the theory that if I have to dither, then I'm best off not doing it.
    Though when it knocks so much time off the trip home along Dandy Rd, it's veeerrry tempting.

I was very proud when I first did it, too :)
  10. I remember my first time... on a freeway where the traffic was at a standstill, then 3 kawa riders went past me and i though "WTF am i doing just sitting here??" and went for it. great feeling.
  11. misty, thats how i decide to lane split too, sometime, i just can't be bother on the concentration required to lane split, and would rather just sit in my only lane and just crawl along.... Although this feeling of sitting in traffic is very rare
  12. Well, you CERTAINLY know how to create interest with a topic, don't you????

Congrats, anyway.
  13. Cheers - was rather happy with my comedic abilities with this one

:p :p :p :p :p
  14. Yep, proceed with caution, don't take any risks. I call it "getting away from the trouble", and please don't do it when the cars are moving, thats called "how long have I got to live".
  15. You don't commute on the Monash in peak-hour, do you Steve?!!! :LOL: