Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First time clutchless *ahem* shifting

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by JL, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Phew!

Just now on the way back home from the wreckers with my interim clutch cable, decided to take the scenic route via the yarra blvd... all going great, from the guy in the truck pulling left and waving me through at the start, to the many headnods from fellow riders coming the opposite way, until....

... the clutch cable finally snapped. :shock:

Luckily the old man had told me to yank the cable hard to change gears in this scenario as he had been caught out like this in the old days. Managed to make it back to Hawthorn only stalling once.

I know I probably shouldn't have been riding to the wreckers in the first place but what a hoot!

2. :roll:

3. [img:487:650:673ce0ac38]http://www.uploadthis.co.uk/uploads/Ktulu/eatedcookie.jpg[/img:673ce0ac38]

4. :rofl:
    I had a frayed clutch cable the other week, down to 3 or 4 strands.
    Anyway, I tell my bro about it and he says go and get a new one and I'll change it, so I go and kit up, in the meantime, he went and pulled out my clutch cable so I could not ride to the bike shop!
    I was a tad pissed off that I had to endure aver 90 minutes of traffic to and from the bike shop in my cage, but he was adamant that I was not going to ride there, cos if it snapped mid journey he would be the one that had to come and get me. I told him I would do clutchless shifts all the way, but it was too late, the cable was in the bin.
    Ok, so now after reading your post, I'm glad he took the cable out before I left :)

5. My cat looks like that when I forget to feed it, but its never made me a damn cookie. :roll:

6. JL -

You'd be surprised how often you can do without it. Granted, it's pretty darn handy in traffic and for downshifts, but on upshifts in the hills I seldom use the clutch. Changes as smooth as butter.

But yes...nice to have in traffic, eh?

Glad you got home in one piece!

OB

7. Yay constant mesh box!!