Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First there were ambo motorcycles... and now, there are firefighting motorcycles.

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by robsalvv, Jan 19, 2012.

1. http://www.7days.ae/article/news/national/bikes-replace-firetrucks-32332

Bikes to replace firetrucks

Dubai Civil Defence introduces the Firexpress bike, perfect for tackling fires in heavy traffic and hard-to-reach areas

Fighting fires in hard-to-reach and traffic heavy areas of Dubai will now be an easier task thanks to Dubai Civil Defence's novel initiative of replacing cumbersome fire trucks with motorcycles as first response vehicles.

The DCD introduced the 'Firexpress Motorcycle', developed in Denmark, at the recent Intersec security exhibition in the emirate.

Firefighting equipment of two 25-litre tanks filled with foam and water solution and a 30-metre hose will be built onto a modified BMW 1,170cc R1200RT motorcycle. The bike is to be tested before being rolled out for use by the DCD, but is expected to be operational soon.

According to the developers, the system has been succesfully implemented in China, Singapore and Malaysia with a similar initiative in place in Saudi Arabia. The move comes in conjunction with ongoing fire safety training being carried out by DCD in schools, homes and offices.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Whatever you think about the efficacy of a motorcycle being a first responder fire fighting vehicle, this is a prime example of motorcycles being recognised for their traffic congestion beating advantages. I like the idea. :)

2. Lady:"So what do you do?"
    Man:"I'm a motorcycle firefighter."
    Lady:"Sleep with me now"

How do I apply?
    • Like Like x 14
  3. Hmmm. I've had a few motorcycles that seemed very keen to start fires (I love the smell of MZ wiring in the morning :lol) so I s'pose it's about time someone came up with one that stopped them :D.
  4. Yes because the sand in Dubai is extremely flammable
  5. The sand that is dripping with oil?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Sooo, its got 50L to put out a fire.

Like no offence to the idea, but it would need to get there bloody quickly with that limited about of fire fighting fire power!

Just wait til they attached a ladder to it Wallace and Gromit styles!

But yes, the point of bikes being recognised for their mobility in congested traffic is great.
  7. I think this is more a case of

- We did it because we can

Rather than an item of practical use...............

Oh wait - we're talking about the United Arab Emirates, those who build islands in the shape of tacos, palm trees and Marvin the Martian just - because they can.

Sounds like business as usual then.........carry on
  8. I think the 30 m hose that I assume can be plugged into a hydrant would be pretty useful. If it beats a truck by 5 mins it could do a lot to save a life or a building. Given the size and acceleration of a fire truck I'm sure it could do better than that. Plus having a professional there earlier will do a lot to keep people calm.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Where do you mount the water cannon? Please respond.
  10. You just need someone there with a caba (compressed air breathing apparatise) to get people out and close the doors, the sooner the better.

I think a lot of fire alarms are false or small electrical fires so two people ariving quickly on bikes would be appropriate. I wouldn't be going into a fire by myself.
  11. 50l of foam.......
    I would think that would go a long way in extinguishing an liquid fire (oil spill etc..)
    (its foam... expands and smothers)

also im guessing it would help in protecting potential hazzards.... like a gas cylinder.

but im not experienced with these things.... only guessing
  12. I think it'd be great at the scene of car accidents. Traffic backed up, fuel dripping scenario. It'd get to the scene faster and prevent / minimise the fire till the trucks showed up.
  13. Not only that, but you wouldn't be allowed. SOP's are 2 persons in BA to enter any structure.

Quite right. Sometimes 50lt is all it takes. We've had many incidents where all that was needed was a quick squirt with the hose to knock the head of the fire down, or a 9kg dry chem to put out a kitchen/cooking oil fire.

Sometimes even just having an incident controller on scene 3 - 4 mins before larger appliances is crucial, as they can provide sit reps, do a size up, and inform command that X number of persons are reported missing, and we need X number of appliances.

I think it's fantastic that they're using them, and it's only a matter of time before they prove how effective they really are! Australia should invest in some for Sydney/Melbourne CBD!

Oh, and they should give me one too!
  14. Yes, fair call. Along with the points others have made.

That said, you really do need at least 2 people for one of those hoses. They have a lot of kick.

Gotta admit though, on first look, it is kinda funny.
  15. It would be interesting to see if they keep data on them. I would love to know how much they beat the trucks on average responce time.

One downside may be that they could actually slow down the truck behind them. An emergency vehicle can cause a bit of traffic buildup when they run lights as everyone has to stop to let them through. Especially so if theres heavy traffic already.
  16. yes, or under control by the time they arrive... when an engine comes out for such a purpose the owner of the building gets slugged for THOUSANDS if a truck responds... good idea to get a scout out and report ahead of the cavalry!

but yeah, more ambo bikes would be awesome.... such a useful idea, those bimmer sure can store a lot of junk in their trunks!

17. I reckon you might be onto something there. I lived there for a while, and the way people drive, an accident on any main road tends to be above and beyond your usual bingle.

When I lived there the speed limit on the main drag down the centre of town (Sheikh Zayed Road), used to be 120, but the cameras didn't go off till over 130, so this is the mentality of the people driving there, although I think they've reduced it now, both the limit and the cameras.

I lost count of how many times I drove past buses, trucks and cars that looked like they been hit by a freight train just sittting next to the road post accident. I saw a truck accident once where one semi had cut across a lane into another, and sheared the entire front end of the prime mover off, would've made your hair curl.
    Anything that can get ambos, firefighters or police to the scene of that kind of accident faster might make a real difference. Hate to be the guy riding it in that traffic though, those guys will be getting world-class training I'll bet.
  18. I hope those tanks are well baffled. Can you imagine the effect of 50kg of liquid sloshing around while you're leaned into a corner?
  19. No. its physics.
  20. Don't blame me for gravity, I voted for velcro.