Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First the peg, now an endo.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by TheYak, May 29, 2007.

1. Just got back from a quick fang around the 'burbs. I'd like to remind everybunny out there, that when a cage in front of you slows down and pulls to the left of the road, looking like they'd about to park, they just might be giving themselves more room to do a snappy u-turn :eek:

So, there's the first endo, was almost a smidsy :shock: The Draggin's are going straight in the wash :rofl:

2. lucky you managed to stop mate! Endo's are way cooler than superman impressions :roll:

bloody cagers *flashbacks*
  3. oh man I fear the first moment I this happens to me :shock:
  4. Heheh Duffa, I thought I was going to go over the front...decided against it as I wasn't outside a hospital :LOL:

Kursed, practice your fast/emergency braking as much as you can, and not just from low speed; you'll no doubt need it sooner rather than later. I know that if this had happened in my first fortnight of riding, I'd have ended up in the backseat of the car or lowsiding :eek:
  5. I haven't even endo'ed my bike yet, but i'd be looking behind me once i'd reached the point that i wouldn't collide with the car so i could make a snappy take off if required; so i wouldn't reach the point of endo'ing

If you didn't do that this time, then don't forget the next time! Stopping in time is one thing, avoiding the cager behind you is another ;)

You should have slowed down a bit when the car moved to the left, and moved yourself to create a bigger buffer as well... Did you?

You should be learning off each (near) accident you have... Preferably you wouldn't have anything to learn from it, but we don't live in a perfect world.
  6. hahahahaha to right!:rofl:

Nice work on avoiding it mate, always good to come out of it ok with a story to tell rather then laying in the ICU having others tell the story for you. :nopity:

Just reinforces that fact to cover the brakes when such stuff happens and be prepared for the worst.
  7. Did you also have the unfortunate introduction between your nuts and the fuel tank?
  8. Never forget. Every driver in every situation is capable of doing this. You will get a sixth sense but they are ALL out to kill us and we have to ride accordingly. Glad you got out of it though.
  9. Thanks for the feedback, sorry if it sounded like externalising....I just didn't want to spew forth ideas while still :tantrum: I've been thinking about it a lot as it scared the crap out of me, and have come up with a few possibilities, probably in descending order of preference :)

- I did the right thing, just not well enough. I could have rolled off -more- speed and been on the brakes already. I could then have been able to stop faster and more safely. I knew there were no cars behind me; I suspect if there were, the cager making the u-turn would have seen and waited for them to pass.

- 3 second gap could have been left until the car came to a complete stop (which it didn't end up doing).

- I could have overtaken faster. This doesn't sound safer but would have been. In essence, I left myself in the wrong space.

- Any other ideas?

The car didn't indicate at any point, was probably on the phone, looking at a map, GPS, or was just 'lost'. Danger Will Robinson :LOL:

Scottatron, not this time, but they're already well acquainted :rofl:
  10. Its good you didnt lock up!

All you have to do now is work on modulating it a bit.

Its a very good idea practise your emergency braking EVERY time you ride. From 40 klm, 60klm and 80 klm. Basically whatever speed your regulary doing. One day it WILL save your life! Or atleast an accident!

BTW Did you get your P's?
  11. Hee, I do this! Every time I head home, 3-4 emergency stops in the backstreets.

I'm sure it's improved my braking, though I nearly came a cropper one night (fatigued, cold + wet road) when I grabbed the front brake too hard too soon. Two reflexes fired simultaneously: (1) release front brake to stop bike lowsiding. (2) stick right leg out and give ground a kick so mighty that the earth itself was pushed away. Mm, shin splints. :)
  12. It improves several things:

Confidence in the front brake and tyre
    Reduces over-reaction
    Maximizes its effectiveness
    Since your also used to braking hard, it allows your brain to process other things while hard on the anchors instead of focusing 100% on your brakes, its already an instinct. Such as run off or obstacle avoidance, reducing damage if an impact is inevitable.
  13. At last you get to practice emergency stops. You now should have more confidence :grin:
  14. Only because you said it mate, not becuase I said it 1 post before