Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First solo freeway rides

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Jane Deaux, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Hey guys,

Only have about 500km under my belt and only taken the free way with friends. I really want to start taking the bike to work soon [Monash freeway from SE suburbs to Richmond] but I've been deterred by the dark and traffic ridden mornings. Looking for advice about lane choice... When riding with my friends we hog the right lane [merging left to allow over takers] Are there any firm do's and don'ts when riding the freeway

Would appreciate any advice :)

Cheers

2.  Top
  3. If your on your Ls or Ps please don't stay in the right lane doing under the speed limit. No on really should be in that lane unless their doing an indicated 10kph over the limit. Thanks

4. Hi Jane,
    Middle to right lane is good. Less people trying to merge into you, and fewer ducking around slower lanes of traffic.
    You still need to be hyper aware of the traffic around you, particularly 100m in front.
    You need to be ready to slow up when the car in front of you who wasn't paying attention has to brake hard.
    I say slow up as you don't want to jam on your brakes and wake up the cages behind you who really wasn't paying attention either.
    Can you split comfortably ?
    There will be places that it would be really handy, almost lifesaving.

Don't rush it. If you don't feel you are ready try taking a few of the main roads first ( Dandenong Rd, Barkers, Bridge Rd etc) so that the traffic isn't flowing as fast.

5. If riding in the left lane, and there is an exit coming up, be prepared for a vehicle on your right to cut across in front of you to take that exit. They're not looking out for you, they only care about not missing their exit.

Always leave a decent gap from the vehicle in front (on any road).

Read the traffic ahead, are there stop lights going on? Is the traffic dodging an obstacle on the road? Do you have an escape route? The list goes on and yes, it's a lot to take in but eventually it will become second nature.

Happy travels:)

6. Try a Saturday first to get quieter preview.

• Like Like x 1
  7. There are probably no firm dos or don'ts. Traffic is too fluid for simple rules.

You should put yourself in the position that offers most escape options if things go pear shaped. As things will constantly change, you need to be constantly reassessing potential hazards and changing your position when needed.

All things being equal, the furthest right lane is good. It means you only need to worry about traffic on one side and unlike the left hand lane which also has traffic on only one side, there are none of the hazards caused by traffic entering and exiting. The big problem with this advice is that things are rarely equal.

Also think about where you position yourself within the lane. I usually sit close to the white line on the left as this keeps me in the car mirrors, that is out of the blind spot, longer assuming they choose to look. Close to the white line also means that in the event of an emergency I am likely to be lined up on the gap between cars in adjacent lanes, giving me an extra escape option.

If you are riding along next to a car if possible get slightly ahead rather than slightly behind the driver. That way the driver is more likely to know you are there.

As said earlier, don't hog the right lane if you are travelling below the speed limit. That's likely to get you a car sitting up your rear which is a disaster if traffic slows suddenly.

8. Cheers for the feedback guys, regarding the right lane and slowing traffic, I always merge left if there is someone approaching behind. As an experienced car driver this is a sensible thing as much as a common sense thing. Very supportive of the NSW police now booking right lane hoggers in NSW.