Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First slower speed crash

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by Captain115, May 17, 2012.

1. Hey everyone,

So I've been riding for 5 and a half months now, started on the 5th of Jan this year. I bought my first vehicle as well, a 2006 CBF250 that was in great nick considering it had been used as a learner bike before me, no nicks or scrape etc. As I had previously just driven my girlfriend’s car around, having my own mode of transport was like leaving home again; the sense of independence and opportunities. I washed and cared for my bike religiously and was very proud I had to avoid the normal learner curse of dropping the bike soon after getting it.

I rode to uni (~5km journey) and then started the return ride home at 2ish with light traffic. Two lanes each way (60km/h speed limit) and I was in the left most lane, right wheeltrack. Came up over the top of the hill, through the intersection, but was headchecking to make sure the bloke beside me in the right-hand lane had seen me. As I wasn’t sure, I started to move from the right wheel track to the left of my lane, to increase the buffer between me and the car. I turned back from the head check and saw the three or so cars in my lane had slowed right down/stopped and so braked. However because I had been looking at the car beside me, I had missed a bit of time before noticing the stopped cars so had to brake quite hard.

That was when I hit the patch of liquid (oil, diesel etc) that was between the two wheel tracks, and that I had stupid aligned myself with by slowly changing from the right to the left wheel track. Combined with the hard braking, the front end collapsed with the bars twisted to the left, so the bike went down on its righthand side and I got to watch in horror as it spun off down the road with me sliding behind it. As soon as I stopped I got up and tried to turn the killswitch off, but was disorientated and kept missing the switch. A tradie travelling behind me was nice enough to stop and lift the bike onto the sidewalk with me, and the girl behind him offered to call an ambulance etc for me which I appreciated but didn’t need.

I called my dad, who has been riding since he was very young and has come off on both road and dirt multiple times, and told him what had happened. He got me to survey the damage and if I thought it was ok, ride it home, which I did.

I’m into skateboarding so I’m no stranger to falling off moving objects onto the road and in fact most of my skating injuries have been more severe than this, so in that sense I’m quite lucky. Probably hit the ground at about 30-40km/h, which made me particularly glad that I’m a all-the-gear kind of guy.

Damages to bike: bent indicator, scratched exhaust can, lever, bar end, headlight, some scuffs on the fairings and worst of all, a broken piece from the housing of the instrument cluster.

Damage to myself: a small graze on my knee and a hole in the draggin jeans I was wearing.

Lessons learnt:
    I should’ve done a quick headcheck as opposed to watching the car come up beside me
    Should have either stayed in the RH wheeltrack or quickly changed over
    Probably left a larger buffer in front of me which would’ve allowed me to brake less hard/have more time to react

Cheers,

John

photo 1. photo 2. photo 4.

2. Glad you're ok mate. Good to hear about people stoping to help :)

Rest up well - are you going to go to the docs for an xray of the knee?

Those kevlar jeans don't really hold that well do they? slow speed slide and its worn through to the skin. Or is that graze a 'kevlar burn'?

3. Hey mate glad to hear that you came out of it ok. If you have ANY doubt tho, get down to the hospital and get checked out.

There's lots of "maybes" and "what ifs" in life, but the main thing is that you are ok and have learned from the incident.

Don't get caught up on what you did wrong, just realise we are all human and get riding again.

4. I am a massive fan of knee pads. I have a slip on pair of Knox direct on the knee and pads in the knee section of my Sartso Killer Kevlar jeans. I have read horror stories of smashed kneecaps needing to be replaced every 5 years, no thanks.

Good to hear you are largely ok and in one peice.

• Like Like x 1
  5. +1 for knee armour. Takamii's kevlar-lined jeans come with them, are very reasonably priced and offer excellent protection. I can personally attest to the latter from a 10 metre slide with the bike atop me. The denim covering the right knee was obliterated, but my knee was unharmed.

Take care.

6. Did you go back and have a good look at the liquid on the road surface? ie was it freshly spilled diesel (=very very slippery) or was it just normal road crud?

More ideas for your lessons learned list:
    Buy a bike with ABS; there is a reasonable chance this may not have happened if you had ABS.
    You may have front wheel braked with the handlebars still turned.
    Wear knee armor. Knees are hard to repair and kevlar jeans only offer abrasion protection, not impact protection.

But the leave a bigger gap to the vehicle in front is the best bet; even with no ABS and front wheel braking with the handlebars turned, if you had a bigger gap in front it wouldn't have happened.

Hope you and your bike are ok soon :)

7. Mate, that's a pretty lucky escape all things considered, and not a huge amount of damage.

I second the Takamii kevlar jeans recommendation - they're brilliant, have armour on the knees and hips, you wouldn't have had any damage at all to yourself in this case (maybe some bruising eh), and extremely well priced.

Cheers.

8. Glad you came out ok. That mark on the pipe is just a character mark.
    I wasn't there but seem to be missing something - looking in front before you started to move to the left of the lane.
    It seems as if you reacted to the car next to you without also checking where you were heading (in front) before moving over. Headchecks are needed but they consume time where conditions in front may have changed so it seems wise to reassess what is in front first. There may be times when you simply can't and need to react.
    Not trying to come down on you but more trying to assess what I can think of doing differently on top of what you have mentioned.

9. Thanks for the suggestions and concern, I sure will invest in some kneepads for the future. As Myke said, I think it might not have been a graze from the road as much as a burn from the kevlar.

But really the worst thing about this was the impact to my knee, cause a day after it became really swollen and difficult to move. I am quite paranoid about my knees so the extra (impact) protection offered by kneepads seems worthwhile. Certainly will be investigating these Takamii jeans!

Cheers,
    John

10. I'm trying to find takamii jeans but can't find a damn thing... can anyone point me in the right direction please?

11.  Top
    • Like Like x 1
  12. www.rhok.com.au

13. #13 Gord, May 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Thanks guy. Looks like they don't make them in my size :(

14. #14 Takamii, May 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    we do all sizes - as we also custom make for a small extra fee

15. ^ I got a custom pair via Tak, well worth the effort and the small extra fee; fit me perfectly and eveything sits in exactly the right place.

Send him a PM and take it from there.

Cheers Jermy

16. Yeah, PM'ed him, he told me measurements he needed, and a week and a half later.. perfectly fitting jeans arrived. Just give him the measurements from your best-fitting pair of jeans that you have, and they'll be sized for you, and the armour will go over the right spots.

No I don't work for him, I just like his products. :)

17. PM sent. Cheers guys!

18. I almost had this happen to me when I started commuting to work. Its really easy to get caught out when traffic ahead stops suddenly and you're checking the mirror/lane change.

Looks like you've gotten off reasonably well. The bike is easily fixed but you're not!

19. Yeah cheers for the heads up on Takamii's jeans, I definitely will be putting in an order for some when I gather the required funds. Knee protection is at the forefront of my mind now, I can see how bad this may have turned out.

Definitely, I'm glad it was only a little off and that the car behind me stopped before hitting me or it could've been a lot worse.

20. I use a pair of RS Taichi Stealth knee guards and wouldn't be without them. Had them on under Takamii's Motolegion Jeans yesterday for about 5 hours. Only rode for 2ish but left the guards on.
    They fit directly over your leg are in an elastic sleeve with a velcro strap. They are only light so you hardly notice they are on. Won;t give you ultimate protection (if there is such a thing) but balance comfort, protection and "wearability".