Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First service

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by I Adore Vic, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Hey all,

My bike's due for its first service at 1000kms. So far I've done 700kms on it and I'm just wondering whether the 1000km service requirement is set in stone.

I expect to be doing a fair amt of riding over the weekend which should get that 700kms up to around 1300kms and I intend to get the bike serviced early next week. Is it okay to get it done a few hundred k's over?

Sorry if it sounds like a silly question. :) Just want to look after my bike :)

2. 1st service is very important. Shouldn't be too much of a drama if you're a couple of hundred Ks over, just take it in as soon as you can after it hits the 1000 mark.
  3. Normally you'd dump the oil well before the 1000km 1st service. Typically 200-300km you dump just the oil. Then Oil, filter and general check up at 1000km.
    If you want to err on the side of caution you could drop the oil now and then get it fully serviced after the weekend.
    On a XV250 I wouldn't bother. Just ride it this weekend and service next week.
  4. From what I was told when running my bike in ....... is ok to be over a tad. Is more to the point of 'how' you're running the bike in - ie: keeping the revs down, running thro the gears, etc. Just check the chains well lubed & not loosened off too much before the weekend or anythings come loose which is what a 1st service entails along with dchanging the oil :)
  5. just as a comparrison, my first service was $100
  6. The dealership's providing the first service for free. :)

RE: running the bike in - 0 - 1000km's I'm advised not to use prolonged throttle operation over 1/3rd.

1000 - 1600km's it's 1/2.

Thanks all...will get it in there first thing next week. :)
  7. The run in period is designed to deliberately wear the engine to make sure parts match together properly. The 1000km thing is really just the manufacturers estimate of long the process should take - a couple of hundred kms either side of that figure should be close enough.