Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First service for new bike - back to dealer?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Masakali, Apr 2, 2012.

1. My new CBR250 is approaching 1,000km's so its time for its first service.

I never took my car to the dealerships because they often used unsupervised apprentices, and I preferred my local mechanic.

Is this the same for bikes as well? Especially since it is PS which doesn't have too good a rep here...
  2. I took mine to local mechanic and never had any issues. THey just cant do warranty work so make sure you always get your book stamped to proove you have done the service. Pricing is around the same between dealer and local I have found.
  3. where do you live? If you're around the city (Melbourne) check out E2W. If you're around Notting Hill, check out 60 Degrees. I would rather chew of my own legs that take my bike to PS, but, that's just me.
  4. I always take the bike back to the dealer for its first service so they can, in theory, have a look over it.

Shortly after I take it to an independent mechanic to be checked properly (I used E2W).
  5. 1000kms is a long time to leave the original oil in your bike.. I cant understand why that is recommended for new engines. 100kms is long enough thats when I always get the contaminations out of the sump.

The most important thing is to get fresh oil and a filter into it.
    That can be done at home easy peasy.
  6. I took mine to the dealers for the 1k service... Figured they have a reputation to uphold, seeing I bought the bike off them, and they'll know i'll be back if they stuffed up a service of all things..

.. and my first service was a freebie :grin:
  7. That sounds like the way to go then, first at dealer, then off to 60 degrees or something. Thanks everybody!