Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First service at dealership or preferred mechanic?

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by Mpfprocess, Oct 12, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Hi,

My first bike (2015 Honda CBR500RA) is about to need it's first 1000km service and I am wondering whether to go to the dealership to get it done or to a preferred mechanic in the area.

I don't know anything about motorbike maintenance or mechanics as this is my first bike but I have been recommended by a few people a mechanic nearby and I know generally they are cheaper than the dealership servicing it (or at least is the case with cars).

Do I go to the preferred mechanic or to Honda dealer I bought the bike from, reason I am considering dealership is because the bike is only a month or so old so still under warranty.

2. For mine, I'd go to the dealer for the first service. Particularly if there were any issues or adjustments that needed to be done under warranty. After that a qualified mechanic should be ok as long as the service is done by the book and at the intervals specified in the book.
    Having said that I've always taken my bikes and cars to an authorized dealer but that's just my preference.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. It does not need to be a dealer to protect your warranty just a qualified mechanic. The first service is a very simple one, I would tend to agree with McSenna and let the dealer do it but if the dealer is inconvenient because of distance or time then let your local mechanic so it. Take your User Manual so he can stamp it with the service history.

4. I asked about that when I bought it and the dealer said this one was all good but I will check that just in case! Try and find my VIN number haha.

Thanks guys, I think I will go to the dealership for the first few at least, peace of mind.