Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First service almost due - can I do it myself?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by stivor, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Having owned my bike for about 2.5 weeks and already clocked up over 550 kms, it will not be long until I am due for my first service (1000kms).

I looked at the service schedule and it doesn't look like it is anything too difficult. The valve gap adjustment looks like the trickiest bit, but if I can do that on a tractor I assume I can on a motorbike. I have also located a service manual which I will read when I get some time.

My question is what will it cost to get the first service done by a service centre and will I gain anything (apart from the knowledge that it will be done properly:)? In the long term will I be better off doing my own work?

The bike is a Suzuki DR650SE.

2. Try and find a mechanic like mine, lets you work with him on your bike and teaches you along the way. I'm assuming your bike is new, one thing to consider is the new bike warranty. However initial service doing valve clearances? wtf?? That's not usually due until 20,000km or something?? Start contacting mechanics and make friends...

BTW, 2 weeks 550km, come on, ride the fukn bike!!! :biker:
  3. DR650 is a piece of the proverbial to service yourself. Mine (bought new last year) has never been in the hands of a professional. I accept thart the warranty will be stuffed, but you can have quite a major blow-up for the cost of a few pro services. The cost-benefit analysis worked out for me. It might not for you.

I found a factory manual online. It claims to be incomplete but I've yet to find anything missing.

Tappet check at 1000 km is (I assume) 'cos it's a screw and locknut arrangement and likely to settle during initial running in. Mine are all a fraction slack but not so much so that it justifies the three handed stuffing around necessary to improve the situation. They haven't moved in 15,000 km.
  4. Hmmm, thanks for the replies. Considering the warranty issue I guess I will get a pro to do the first one and I'll look at doing subsequent ones.

Yeah, I know... but that's still 550 more than I've ever ridden before.

5. I still remember my first 40km;

"wow, I actually brought one of these things..................."

then it all began.............................

6. An experience myself and I'm sure many, many others happily share. Still catch myself thinking "wow, best vehicle purchase EVER" and I'm still on a 250!
  7. Hi,
    I would get the 1st service done by a licensed Motorcycle mechanic,not necessarily from the dealer you got it from.1st service is usually the most important.
    Let them stamp the book for warranty purposes & then do the next services yourself.
    Ring around a few places near you,i wouldn't expect a single cyl bike would cost the earth to do a 1st service on.

8. My new DRZ400 was about $145 for the first service.
  9. Check your warranty conditions VERY carefully, they may stipulate who must do your 1st and possibly other services till xxxx km's are done.

Basic warranty claims could become null en void if you dont.
  10. Warranty is your issue here. (As mentioned above multiple times)

Its ALWAYS advisable to get your first service done at the dealer you bought it from, just so you can say well your authorised dealer said it was all good at 1000kms.

Services beyond the 1000km check, need to be done by a REGISTERED/QUALIFIED mechanic with genuine parts. This does NOT have to be a dealer.

The reason for this is that a few years back someone took a car manufacturer/dealer to court over a warranty problem. The dealer/manufacturer stated that its warranty was void because it hadn't been serviced by a licensed dealer for that brand of car.

It was ruled in favour of Joe Blow because a mechanic at a dealer is qualified under the exact same qualification as the bloke at the independent mechanics and there for shouldn't be any difference in the ability of the service to be carried out properly.

BUT NOTE: it must be a registered & qualified mechanic and the services must be done using genuine parts & the fluids specified by the manufacturer (ie. if they say 10W/40 synthetic and u use mineral oil at a different grade, well then they wont cover it)
  11. I dunno why people are saying checking the valves on a bike like this is unheard of. A fair bit of carbon builds up when running in, and they'll probably be a bit tight.
  12. How often you check valve clearances depends on the arrangement in the bike.

Typical arrangements using shims usually last 10,000 km or maybe even twice that.

However when the arrangement is tappets adjusted with screw and locknut (as in this bike according to the owner), then the check interval is usually around 3000 to 5000 km. And then they usually do need adjustment.

I am not surprised to hear they are checked after the initial 1000 km.
  13. OK, my first service cost me $283, including a new tube which wouldn't normally have been part of the deal. That included $200 labour and an enormous $53 for oil plus disposal.

I suppose that's not too bad, but next time I will at least replace my own oil filter and oil and check my own spark plugs.

14. What tube are they talking about?
  15. I had a puncture.

16. Ah, gotcha.

As you were, gentlemen.
  17. Considering the DR holds about 2 litres, $53 is way over the top. I s'pose if it was some fancy synthetic you could just about justify it, but Suzuki don't specify synth so I doubt if the dealer would bother. Time to find another workshop or start doing the work yourself methinks.

18. In my first week i did over 800kms! and thats on a 250!

whatya doin?
  19. It's not my only toy.