Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First scare

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by Jeffco, Apr 29, 2013.

1. I was riding into work this morning heading to Sth yarra using the Monash Freeway as I noramlly do when i ride in usually twice a week minimum.

Nothing different from any other day on the Monash, speed up slow down filter when you (I) comfortable with.

I usually get off at Toorak road and for anyone who travels this freeway will know the Toorak Rd exit banks up a long way back, and my normal routine is travel in the lane next to this and then move arcross as I get closer to thje normal exit.

Same routine again this morning and as i got closer to where I would move arcross I did a quick head check then looked back to my lane to see all the traffic hitting the brakes and coming to a very quick stop.

Fark me was my inital thought as i hit my brakes but i must have hit the back brakes harder cause my arse end started swing out to the right.

Fark me (two) dont panic eased off the brakes managed to get the bike back in control and filter down between the cars and exit off at usual.

Things Im glad I have learnt

Dont panic

always keep GOOD distance between yourself and the vehicle in front you.

Follow the speed limit not the speed of the vehicles around u. This section of freeway is 80kph but most of the traffic does 90-100kph.

Dont Panic

Things to remember

Dont get complacent/comfortable possibly guilty of this, nearing the end of the ride, another day nothing different.

Organise that level of rider training.

Thanks to all those who have given the safety/rider tips for turning and braking etc as i beleive this helped. I didnt panic i rememered the words and survived for another day.

Feel free to leave feedback good or bad about what i could i should have done better

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Good on you for coming on here with something that was your mistake. People will complain all they like when someone else makes a mistake, but from the amount of riders posting their own mistakes you would think motorcyclists must be perfect.

Good lessons learnt, keep a bigger gap and also importantly don't dawdle in your head checks and before you do a head check in heavy traffic try to look over as many cars as you can to make sure nothing is stopping ahead.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. #3 Waldy, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
    I have done the same sort of thing, and like you, I hit the rear brake a bit hard, arse end skidded, released the brake, recovered, then stopped with the front, -then- back brake to hold me still once I had stopped.

My scare occured because I was watching a guy who wanted to come into my lane, and I was making room for him, then all of the cars ahead stopped suddenly.

I think that your solution is correct - leave plenty of room ahead and all around you, and no lapses in concentration - ever!

The front brake does roughly 70% of the work to stop the bike, the rear brake is only good for around 30%.

I think of my rear brake as my low speed manouvering brake, and my "Hold it still at the lights" brake. My front brake is what stops me when I am at speed.

Cheers (y)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hey jeffco, is this you? :whistle:

This footage was taken on my commute the same morning as your near miss, just before the Toorak Rd exit.

Right at the start, after I pass the the truck, far left lane, pretty sure this bike is a Kawasaki EL 250 Eliminator.

If it is you, I must have just missed your near miss.

(y)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks mate the reason for posting was just to pass on to other noobs like myself A: what can happen and B : That you can get yourself out of it if you remember the basics of what has been posted here.

It probably wasnt perfect but it worked o_O

6. #6 Jeffco, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
    Had a good look but I dont think thats me, Helmet appears to be black mine is red, If it's the same bike Ive seen before I think it's a similar vintage virago, but if it is another EL gotta love the choice of ride. :cool:

7. that was smee on the virago, wearing a dress.

• Like Like x 2
  8. You obviously have a lot of faith in the cage drivers you ride between @oz-riley

9. Newbie (3 weeks on L’s) having a practice ride for my second adventure on to an 80km/h 3 lane busy highway – Banksia St Heidelberg.

Had been stuck behind a very slow van with dings all over it and a cracked rear window for a while. Had been a good little rider staying well back.

Came to merging lane head check and no-one in the left hand or middle lane, indicator on, did a good head check to look behind, look forwards again. F*rk! the van has come to a dead stop with no cars in the 2 adjacent lanes:shock:. Closing rapidly, grab the brakes hard. Struth not going to stop in time! Brain has time to wonder if all the dents are from bikes bouncing off the van. Off brakes, counter steer to slip down the right hand side, on the gas hoping the lane is still clear. Thank the lord it was.

I think my heart was pounding quicker than the bikes single.

Is there a Patron Saint for Motorcyclists?

10. #10 oz-riley, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013
    Yes, that rider had a Black helmet, no problem, thought it might have been you.

I have no faith in the cagers at all, have a lot of near misses on these trips.

11. They are some incredibly well behaved drivers. I am genuinely shocked.

Also, good work to the OP for looking to improve what you can help, not allocate blame around.

12. You're kidding?

13. Ive have found alot of drivers to be good, when Ive been riding in, having said that I have more faith in my own instinct, Skill & experience (limited as it may be still) than of those around me.

14. #14 Jeffco, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013
    Well done for surving it and as it has been said many times here before, review it your own mind to see what you could have done better if anything.

My ride in today was far less eventful :D

15. Hmmm I can't even begin to think why?

Perhaps you should alter your riding style if near misses are a common occurrence?

16. I just don't get why some people have so many near misses. I spend a lot of time on the road, most of it on four wheels unfortunately, but I can't remember the last time I saw a near miss involving a motorbike.
    Admittedly I'm in Radelaide and we don't have the traffic density of Sydney and Melbourne, but even looking at NR it seems to be that most riders either don't have or don't rate near misses.
    So what makes some people have so many? Is it aggressive riding style, lack of tolerance, lack of road experience generally or just a sense of the dramatic.
    Not having a go at any one in particular here, just curious to see what other people think of this anomaly, if that's what it is.

17. For me I think its a case of little bike syndrome. I have had several instances where cars have started to merge into my lane I hit horn the driver turns head sees little bike and proceeds to come in regardless.

I don't post about those instances cause there's no point I've learnt to adjust my riding to allow for the fact that small bike standard horn = car drivers (a lot of them) not giving a fuvk.

18. Be seen to be aggressive or not be seen at all.
    Ride big and mean and always pussy out.
    Also a loud exhaust helps.

19. Think I need a bigger bike with louder exhaust :)

20. Isn't that the default state of existence?

• Agree Agree x 1