Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First scare on my bike.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by pete AU, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Just getting used to my HyoGT250 on some quiet roads in the semi rural area I live in. Seems a bit harder to U turn then the CB250 I did my training on - so im working on this when I over shoot the road and end up in the 'marble'-like' hills gravel on the side of the road. Its quite ruff - uneven and basicly just loose gravel. Anyway - I apply the breaks and it starts to slide , I'm thinking I dont want to slide over so I just lay off the breaks and bounce along the gravel and scrub for 10m until i can get back on the road. Running in 1st the bike seemed quite stable in dirtbike terrain.

Anyway - stopped the bike and took a few deep breaths then headed home.

The things they dont prepare you for in training. :!:
  2. Nice job staying rubber side down!

3. Well done on staying upright :grin:
    Unfortunately there's lots of 'interesting' situations that they're unable to prepare you for when you're out in the real world - including gravel, melted road, suicidal birds, rampant wildlife ..... :shock:
    Have learnt it just doesn't pay to become complacent whilst riding & you never stop learning :)
  4. Good to hear that you came out of your off road experience with no tears. :)
  5. I know exactly what you mean. I have the faired version GT250R and I am practicing for my P's test. I am struggling to get the bike to do a decent u-turn! I tried doing it on quiet rural roads but found I was ending up in the gravel like you. I found it easiest to go down any cul-de-sac I can find to do a u-turn. If there is a turning circle at the end of the road there is usually enough space to u-turn even if I overshoot it. Avoid doing it if there are cars parked on the road. I almost cleaned one up!!!!

I am finding it works best at about 25kph going into the turn and then look well back over my shoulder before leaning and turning. Don't take my advice though cause I still only get 1 in 5 right! Hope that helps.
  6. U-turn like a pro:

1. Come in as far the the opposite side to the turn as possible.

2. Ride the clutch slightly through the turn and adjust your speed using the rear brake. Apply harder to slow down, release pressure to speed up.

3. Turn the handle bars to full lock.

4. 'sit' on the high side of your bike to counter balance the weight shift slightly. e.g. if turning right then sit your bum 'high' to the left, maybe even slightly off the seat.

5. DON'T roll off the throttle during the turn as the weight shift will throw you off balance and you will prolly bin it. Like i said before, keep the throttle riding slightly (stops a jerky, sticky throttle at low speed unbalancing you) and use the REAR brake to adjust the speed.

6. LOOK where you want to go and not at the road in front of the bike to see if you are going 'to make it' around.

7. Breath, it's not as nerve racking as you think.

I can turn the ZZR around in about a 4.5 - 5 Metre box and it has a pig of a turning circle.

7. Thanks for the tip - didnt think about weight shifting - i'll be trying this next trip out...
  8. Yeah it just helps with making the bike feel more balanced and gives you the confidence to keep the turn going. Start by just sliding your bum higher up the seat and see if it makes a difference for you!
  9. If you're in a rural area there should be plenty of paddocks available? Find yourself a reasonably open _grassed_ area and practice there.

You'll find the lack of obstacles/distractions and the 'soft' earth, should you drop it, will provide you with some much needed confidence and the ability to focus only on your technique. Provided it's dry, there should be plenty of traction...
  10. More importantly it enables you to lean the bike - allowing for tighter turns.

The only other thing I'd add is to turn the bars to full lock as quickly as possible. Many people starting out seem to find this the hardest part. They tend to just increase the amount of lock gradually throughout the turn so they're not at full lock until they've almost run out of room.
  11. Good u-turns are all about counter leaning IMO, at least that's what I used to do wrong when I started out.

Give me a cb250 and I can scrape the pegs doing u-turns now! You do end up sitting on the side of the seat whilst doing it though.

The GT250 would be a little more top heavy than a cb250 I would think, making it a little more awkward.
  12. Don't try _this_ in a paddock! You may well run out of traction then... :)
  13. Had a scare myself tonight AGAIN!! Charging system is on the blink on my bike.. Keep blowing headlights and blew one again on the way home from work bout an hour ago (coming down Mt Dandenong Tourist Road...!)

Pretty scary! Gonna get it fixed tomorrow, but need advice bout a good mechanic.. Usually go to BTX but were booked out last time i tried to book service..
  14. Hey PETE AU - Good to see Perth people on the forum - and good to see that there was no polish taken off your bike. ;)

Oh and best of luck HARRIER for your P's ! Keep those U turns SLOW and STEADY..
  15. So one night on the Kat coming home from sunbury the popup headlight went down. It stayed on .. but was shining on the front tire. Now that was interesting.
  16. Don't be afraid to use your feet in a slow u-turn (especially if it will save you from running off the road into gravel), you might get points deducted at riding school but in the real world it can make them much easier.
  17. Good stuff keeping it upright...You can never plan for these things but it's good to see even as a newb you knew what to do and what to expect.