Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First RIde

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Prime, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Well ok technically its my third hehe, but its my first real ride since buying my cbx250, I went for a ride from mitcham to Camberwell and return, and man, how cool is riding, I stuck to the left and didnt go stupid or anything, just played it safe and enjoyed the ride, all I wanted to do when i got back was keep riding hehe....

Many more rides to come :)

2. haha yeah man how awesome is it?

my L permit, instructor told us that a bike is much more brain thrilling as well because unlike a car where after a while you get relaxed and into a false sense of security, on a bike your always alert and will continue to be. i hope that's true and i don't slack off! =]

i went for my first big ride today hehe i hit 80k's and bordered the city. still need heaps of practice though.

keep enjoying your ride man, peace!
  3. Thats cool as :) I have yet to go on my first big ride - woke up on sunday at 6:30 especially so I wouldn't have too much traffic and my pos bike wouldn't start becuase of the cold!!! disappointed much!

Am looking forward to losing my proper bike riding Vplates and joining the club :)
  4. this is a long post, but i just wanted to vent myself:

I got my L's this morning (saturday) and took my CBR for a spin. All went well except for one close call.

I was going straight on a main road (warringah road) and made contact with a lady who wanted to turn right from a small street on the left of warringah road... if that makes any sense.

I thought she was going to wait until i passed before she made her turn. How was i wrong... I made my eye contact, and then ignored this risk and paid attention to the road ahead because i assumed she was going to stay put.

Two seconds later, she decides to take off and make her right turn. This took me by shock, as i only saw her comming once i was about 10~15 metres away (like i said earlier, . I was doing about 80kms and hadnt practiced emergercy braking. I paniced and locked up; my bike started shaking (ie fishtailing). At this point, the woman applies her brakes and stops in the middle of the road.

I was still fishtailing, but what happens next is very vague in my mind; I passed in front of her car and somehow regained control. All i remember was telling myself whilst the bike was doing its 'death wobbles' is "oh shit, i'm going to fall over".

Lucky for me, i didnt fall over and i got out of that situation unscathed. I was so angry all of a sudden. All i could do i was swear on the top of my head.

But here's a site that gives you a few risk management tips. I should have read this before taking the bike out: http://www.hartridertraining.com.au/riding+tips/street+strategies.htm
    "Cars Waiting to Pull Out" - is what i just described in my post.
  5. Sounds like a very close call mate .
    First ride i stayed off the main roads and for my 4th 5 ,6,7,8,9 ride i still stayed off the main road ,you got to spend time ,as you said.... learning to emergency stop ,once i had this as good as i could ,then went out on the main road.

And ALWAYS expect the cars to turn in front of you, as the coachs in all sports say ,DEFENCE, DEFENCE, DEFENCE always wins the game.

Take it easy out there guys ,and you think its fun ,now it just get better and better.

Cheers Sled.
  6. Biceps: good to hear you managed to keep it upright and reain control..

i have much the same story(close calls just on l's).
    yesterday went for a ride (my third ride) and almost home going round a blind left hand corner and as i got to the middle of the corner i was to the left of the corner when a guy in a falcon overtakes me (in the same lane) on the outside in the room i needed. I do realise this was partly my fault as i wasnt controlling my lane, but he should have seen the L plate and given me some room.
    I told him what i thought at my next oportunity to which he didnt care too much but ive felt bad about it since.

I think ignorant drivers is something we need to expect and put up with..

stay safe and practice some emergency braking :)
  7. Good to hear that even though you haven't practiced some basic skills, you still managed to wobble your way out of it.

Oh, and watch out for the naw-shaw women drivers, I thought you knew that :LOL:
  8. Good one Biceps, I'm sure I heard all this at the HART training, but have fogotten it since. And well done for staying upright, you may not think you had much to do with it, but I'm sure some of the efforts of the instructors have rubbed off. And the fact that you knew you shouldn't have slammed on the rear brake shows you how much you really do know, but just need the practice and experience.

keep on riding. and make it safe.
  9. Do you mean the left lane, or the left of your lane?
  10. Yeah, its just i'm use to my push bike: I tend to lock up my back brakes and then swing the back wheel out - the technique usually allows me to stop within a metre or two regardless of what speed i'm doing. Its very different on a bike - and it's something i thought never happened on a bike(death wobbles [this is a skating term for when you board rocks left/right like crazy until you fall off]).

As for the first ride; i've got mixxed feelings. I was very confident (due to my bmx & mtb riding experience) under the impression it was going to be all fun and games; but its not! You dont realise how much danger your in until you start doing high speeds on the main road. I dont know if you guys know this area, but the scariest part of my ride yesterday was the Rosville Bridge. The whole time, i was hoping not to go over a pot hole - and was cautious of drivers that was going to cut me off.

Al Bundy: the falcon driver - that's just plain shifty and bad driving on his behalf.
  11. Left lane I ddint go overttaking or anything like that heh
  12. Prime..top stuff
    Biceps..well done...but never assume.
    Assumptions are the mothers of all stuff ups.
    A few years ago in Perth, while using a roudabout to do a U-turn, a cage on ly left as I was about to exit the roundabout continued on, assuming I was only turning right. Fortunately I stopped with my front wheel about a foot from his door.
  13. This is a BIG tip "owning your lane" ,you learn all about it in the P's test day ride ,thats if you make it to your P's test in one piece.
    IMHO at the very least a 10 minute video showing you ,about owning your lane and buffering should be in the L's course.
    If its a 1 hour lesson in the p's test day ,they think its a VERY important to know,..But the RTA says ...... we will show you that when you come back in 6 months :roll: .
  14. Sleddog, I totally agree, I have read enough about riding and should have known better. In some ways im glad it happened with me surviving as it was a big eye opener to some of the things that can come out from seemingly nowhere and how careful you must be.

I read the riding bible before going for my l's (all 227 pages),
    somewhere in their it talks about road craft, controlling your lane. i think its a good read for any learner..
  15. I always point at the driver, make eye contact and then do a little "stay there point" or just put a finger up off the grip to send the dont come my way signal (they probably cant see it! lol) but it gets me ready to clutch aswell so its all good.

sorry to hear about your close call Biceps, it will happen, and you will get used to your emergency stops and it sounds like you handled the bike very well to reamin upright if you were fishtailing at 80km/h.
  16. Well done Prime for hanging on and staying upright. :)

Rules must be real different over your side of the country as when I got my L's I wasnt allowed to ride without an Instructor.
    My first time on a 250 he had me riding the bike I borrowed from him around his street until he was and I was confident with braking and shifting ect.
    Then it was out onto the main roads,the time of the day was good as it wasnt peak hour and I felt so alive and invigorated.I couldnt wait till my next ride with him.

Now I ride everywhere and in almost all weather.

Remember the old saying to Assume makes an Ass of U and Me

Keep it up and stay alert always.
  17. Well done boys. Just the start of your real learning process.
  18. Assumptions are ok!

Every time I ride I assume EVERYONE else is blind, retarded and cut their license out of the back of packet of Corn Flakes.

It keeps me safe :)
  19. Driving my 1.5 tonne cage ;) (look at me, I'm converted already) I'm always looking out for all these things, so I always thought riding would be ok. Still I was hit once by a girl on the phone.

Anyway, my day to go and get the bike nears, and boys, I'm not ashamed to say that I'm a little scared. I always planned on practicing on weekends in this industrial area where there's no traffic on weekends at all near my place. BUT...How the hell do i get the bike home?? It'll either be Victoria Rd (Sydney), or pacific Hwy, Epping road... all very busy roads, at all times.

Yea, I've been sort of sweating over this :) To be honest with you, I dont think the L's 2 day training prepares you for it. :) No sh*t eh? ;)