Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First Ride!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Kiku, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Hi all. :) New rider here.

So I guess this should count as my first official rider post, I hope I'm in the right place! It's probably been too long to remember but I joined a long time ago, back when I started looking for my bike. The search is finally over and I've found myself a Honda VTR 250 which I'm looking to pick up this Saturday.

Kinda nervous as I will have to ride it from Carrum Downs to Point Cook for my first ride. My total experience is a learner's/license course way back in 2007/2008, and a more recent learners' (to refresh) a few weeks ago. To my surprise I picked it up quickly but I know I'm still only at about 1% experience. x_x

I've never driven in traffic before, and originally would have had a friend come along with me on his bike, but as circumstances have it, I might have to go alone. (I'd ride around the residential streets for a bit in that area before getting on the Eastlink and Westgate to go home.)

Should I post in the mentor thread to see if anyone is free to help out a girl rider this Saturday? lol

How did your first rides go? :)
  2. My first ride was wicked :D

I went around the backstreets, got up to 90k's, and used an entire tank of petrol, and then filled him up again!

Filling up for the first time was the proudest moment of my life! I was thinking - SHIT! I'm part of something HUGE here! This is me! I found myself!

Massive thumbs up on the first ride!

3. Congrats. There's nothing like the feeling, is there?
  4. Well done and all the best for you and your new bike.

I loved my first ride which was in mid January this year. Though I didn't trust myself to ride it back home from where I picked it (70km from Officer-Broadmeadows) up after the bike got home I drove around my block a few times and was the happiest person. I stalled it right in front of my house but that all added to the excitement.
  5. Definitely, and on here as well (as you have done) :)
    Sorry...I am a mentor but cannot ride at the moment or I would be happy to assist you.

Let's see if there's a rider out there that will take up the challenge and show that chivalry is'nt dead...(That's a challenge to you men on bikes) - if you did'nt get the hint!

6. ..
  7. Thanks for the replies so far! It's cool to see how you guys found your first rides.

Haha, raven. :) I've made a post in the mentor thread now. Cheers for the tip!
  8. Fell in love with riding from the very first time I rode a bike on my own two years ago, and the thrill and total enjoyment of it hasnt dimmed one bit, in fact, I've become more and more obsessed with riding and bikes, if that is possible. You might be the same!
  9. congrats on the first ride u never forget it ...
    when i was 22 i watched so many R1 videos on youtube that a month later went to the bank took a $9000 loan and went to Gosford to buy a 2001 blue R1,with 22000km never rode a motorbike in my life.
    To test the motorbike i asked if i can just sit in the back as the rider/owner just went through all the gears (as i wanted to make sure the box was ok). Then when i showed him my licence when bike was sold he then understood i was a Learner...
    Took it home sat on it and just went for a ride and it came all natural. Slow obviously.
    Same day later went national park, went a bit wide a couple of times (at slow speeds) but later that’s i discovered counter steering and from then it did not go wide anymore i loved it when to the blue mountains months later. did 6000km on that bike then had to sell it as still was on my learners and the cops always pulled me over as back then they thought it was stolen (must of been a popular bike to steel) or they just wanted to check it out.
    On my Ls it was only 70$ for no L plate and $70 for riding a bike with prohibited power.
    When i got my P plates i had no choice but to sell it as the fine for the same shit is $500. Sold the bike for $9000 got my money back and that was the best time of my life .... I never appreciated engineering until i rode that thing ....
  10. Hi Kiku,
    Congrats on the new bike! Well done. Loved my first ride on mine (only a week ago, still fresh in mind).
    Enjoy :)
  11. You're home now.

Tell us about it.......

12. This is for you Doug - "IT WAS AWESOME" :D :D :D

But seriously, I wouldn't have been able to go so far on my first ride without you guys.

The weather was amazing, and I was trying not to get too excited on the drive to Carrum Downs where I'd pick up the bike, but I won't lie - it's hard to be nervous and excited at the same time - you're either a little more nervous or a little more excited, and I think nervousness won out several times.

Started with just going up and down the street - thankfully it was wide for beginners' u-turns - then tried going around the corner, into the next street and back. Did that kind of stuff a few times. It took a little while to gain confidence in the back streets, but slowly we ventured out. Made a short trip to a McDonalds where I got to learn a bit about parking too, then set off down to Nepean Hwy.

Traffic at the start was busier than I expected. There was an accident on one of the main roads that banked the cars up a bit - ironic, you try to avoid the traffic by going on a weekend but it seems like something will always happen. But I figured I'd have to get used to it anyway, so I just did my best. At least it made me practice slowing and stopping...

It was also pretty windy. The first time the wind hits it was an experience, but at the points I could remember to relax, I rode it, and it was a great, great feeling.

On the way to Port Melbourne, we made a detour to try some cornering on Albert Park, and I didn't realise I'd ridden around the grand prix circuit until later. :-O My first left turn in was wide, and I think I freaked out a white 4WD, but after that I think I got a little better here and there at corners. I'll be thankful for the day when you don't have to think about technique, when the right movements will come naturally.

The ride along the coastal road was great, and the Westgate Bridge and Princes weren't so bad (there was one truck that decided to squeeze in behind me at some point). Speedbumps seem make me think of riding a horse.

It's amazing how much SCOPE you get on a bike. I've always felt boxed in when driving a car - even if it's a convertible you'll always have the thick edges of the windscreen or the line of glass and the giant dashboard and steering wheel in front of you. But over the handlebars, it's basically just you and the big bad world. haha

I made my fair share of mistakes, I'm pretty ashamed to say, dropped the bike (cringe), stalled at the lights (ffff!), turning too soon at corners... but it also made me remember to keep going - I would have a lot to learn from here on in. But I'm in it for the long haul, and determined to push through that inexperience and become a great rider.

Massive thanks again to Doug and David, for your patience and support. You guys are great mentors, and I learned so freaking much from the get go. Now to let it all sink in...

So there was my first day.

I went for a little practice tonight as the sun went down, just around the back streets. Still fluctuating between tense/nervous and calmness... but I'm not sick of it yet. :D I look forward to many more rides and much more experience to come!
  13. Kiku,

You did well! I think I was being nervous enough for both of us on your first trip up and down the street not to mention the first U-turn where you suddenly got a bit of throttle, but you got smoother and smoother as you went.

I wouldn't worry about the stalling. Easy to do on a bike you aren't used to and I didn't really brief you about starting on a hill.

Look forward to seeing you at Sat morning practice.
  14. Well done!...just don't get overconfident....as you may have noticed already, coming unstuck and finding yourself in a bad situation on a bike happens veeeeery quickly. Nice and easy is the way to go, for now. :)
    And yeah...get to the training sessions...they'll help you heaps!
    Welcome to world of riding..:)
  15. Thanks raven, no I'm definitely not confident in the least... I'm still pretty unskilled and have a long way to go. Nice and easy sounds good to me. :)

GreyBM - I'm still practicing my stopping and starting! See you on saturday! :)
  16. Congratulations....

You are right, it's the feeling of freedom that grabs us.

I look forward to watching you grow as a rider and will help where I can.

17. congrats on the bike :)

i remember my first ride....i was soooo nervous....

but after the initial adrenalin i was like wow i am going so fast (really i was only going 35-40km/h lol)...

I still remember my maiden voyage on a semi main road with a traffic light....it was at night (not much cars) and i was like omg i am on a main road .... then the lights came and i headed back home lol....(i was such a scardy cat)

Next time on the main roads was the day of the training session at Homebush, with Ozyoda and his son, that way my maiden voyage on the real roads....i can still remember the feeling.....stalled it on a hill a couple of time..and made Ozyoda's son wait behind me lol....

You will always remember you maiden voyages whenever you go somewhere new on your bike that you haven't gone or experienced before. Cherish those time, your only a noob once :p

now need to go practice U-turns :)
  18. Cheers infinityx! It's good to know everyone goes through this stage of nervousness at the start... haha you don't feel so alone.

But speaking of alone.... I just got back from my first solo mission!!! Ahhhh!!! Posted some letters at the post office, then went for a short trip down the freeway to refuel... (yes I racked up 200ks since saturday... is that a good thing? :D) the most nerve-wracking part was the first bit - the post office is only about 5ks away. But the carpark was pretty full so finding a parking spot quickly became a mini slow-maneuvering practice... haha hazards galore (shoppers, mums with prams, parking cars, workmen standing around, and the old people with the shopping trolleys...! I picked a great time to go to the post office.) I think I circled in and around that carpark about 4 times before deciding to park in a space along the road that went around the back of the carpark.

As I stood in line at the post office I could still feel my heart beating like mad... ahaha. Thankfully it was a slow day, and I could just stand there and breathe calmly while the guy in front of me took ages to sort out his mail issue. As I walked back out to the bike, I was telling myself "hard part's over - you've accomplished Mission 1: Post Letters" haha and that helped. :)

So on to Mission 2: Refuel. I had several options and ended up taking the freeway for the very next exit, that was easy enough. Still taking a while to get used to clicking into first gear... I'm slowly finding out that the best way is to go to neutral though. I think I'm going to make neutral my checkpoint from now on.. (probably should have done this from the beginning) but after that... I managed a successful hill start!!! (the Hoppers Crossing entrance to the freeway was on an incline and I never realised until now.)

Refuelling was...interesting. I'm not sure if I did it right but I had to hold up the fuel nozzle so that I could almost see the end, and watch the fuel inside the tank slowly fill up. Is there a more efficient way to do this? I know filling up cars is so easy because of the spring flap that prevents fuel from leaking out, but I had to be really careful with the bike tank. I think I did okay though. Didn't bother taking my helmet off... haha I even got a wave from the guy in front cause he'd been taking a while in the servo to get back out to his car... I didn't mind waiting. I was concentrating on staying calm, slow and steady, so the wait was probably better for me.

So anyway... without a drop or a stall... MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! (I'm still a bit wobbly though. haha)

19. Never spill petrol on your tank!...You cannot qualify as a true biker unless you can manage that....it is part of correct biking ettiquette. Not one drop!...righto?

You filled up your tank the way we all do...just make sure you wait till the last drop of petrol is off that nozzle before removing it.

Two reasons...it will ruin your nice paintwork or plastics, and it stinks the bike up.
    ++++Plus, it's just retarded to spill petrol on your bike.

All shaking and heart-beating fast etc, is usually your adrenal glands running at hyper-speed...filling you with adrenaline, because you are'nt used to these new situations....it will settle and finally go away for the most part. THEN you will REEEEEALLY start enjoy the ride. So there is MUCH joy to come, Kiku.
  20. Just give it a go mate. My first ride was in Thailand on a bike way too big for me...tips of toes only touching the ground, had to lay bike over about 5 times because when it wanted to go down it had made its mind up, don't underestimate the power of the front brake when potting around at slow speed :p Also I think if I can survive the drivers over there are you should be fine :D (They're still all out to kill you though)

Just be careful, assume no one has seen you, leave huge distances for everything. Another thing is to make sure you've got the clutch work down pat. Nothing more dangerous than stalling when turning right across traffic.. :angel:
    Have fun :D