Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First ride with a pillion

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Mick M, Sep 28, 2015.

1. No longer on my LAMS restrictions, as of yesterday. Hooray!

So, I took my daughter out today for a trial run and she loved it. Only travelled 80km, but it seemed like more, probably due to the increased concentration level compared to riding solo.

Tomorrow, we're off to Seymour via Kinglake, Strath Creek etc..., so should be a decent second ride.

My bike did way better than I expected. She had plenty of get up and go and decent braking performance, too. Suki's just full of pleasant surprises.

The trickiest part was pulling up to stop. I'm normally a fairly confident, left foot down, right foot on rear brake, kind of guy, but I found 2 feet down was the order of the day. The bike just wanted to fall over as soon as we were stationary. Jess is 55odd kg incl gear and I'm just not used to having all that extra weight up high.

We ran into a swarm of bees at 80km/h and I got stung on the neck, so it was very handy having my girl there, to pull the stinger out.

I now have to learn how to be super smooth with the controls, which should make me a better rider, all ' 002.JPG 004.JPG round.

The photos were taken in my driveway and taking off. In case you care...
    • Like Like x 21
    • Winner Winner x 5
  2. Did you read up on the pillioning threads ?
  3. Great stuff Mick MMick M , I took my son out 1st day off restrictions too, he loves it.

You get used to the weight pretty quick. Its just taking off and stopping without causing to much bouncing or helmet clunking thats the trick.

Most of the time I can still just sit at the lights with left foot grounded, takes seat time for the pillion to get stable.

I strongly suggest if your daughter loves it, to invest in a set of Sena's or similar BlueTooth communicators.. Saves all the rooting around with hand signals and crap.

Mind, you, my lads autistic, making hand signals more interesting. Good investment.
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. Just about to, mate. Cheers.
  5. Thanks, Gooza.

Yeah, I just found myself having to read the road and traffic even further ahead than normal, to allow for gentle inputs, particularly braking. That was quite taxing on the old grey matter.

It's all a manner of practice, I guess. Tomorrow should feel a bit more natural, now knowing what to expect.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Mi first time with my girlfriend (on the bike) resulted in us tumbling at the first intersection, she went to put her foot down and we over balanced, I still blame her :whistle: Now she knows to trust me and let me do the whole keep the bike upright thing, but def a plus being able to talk to each other!!! On the head sets I mean......
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Never had that happen to me PompyPompy. I would blame her too :chicken:
  8. So Mick MMick M , howd the girl go up the hills into Kinglake, that should have been interesting....
  9. Nice way to celebrate.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Well done. And lucky girl to have such a cool dad ;)
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Great stuff Mick!

Now I have a ride home if my bike breaks down on any of our rides haha
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Thanks, Cris.
    She'll be in those horrible teenage years soon, so I've gotta build up the brownie points, while I can.
  13. The infamous Red Lantern breaking down... I won't hear of it.
  14. Good on you :)

My 10 year old daughter always wants to go for a ride with me..She loves it :)

We are still getting to grips with some things but we are both gaining more confidence each time we go out.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Went off like a fish in the sun.
    We had a great time, especially in the sweeping bends from Kinglake West to Flowerdale. She rode home with me from Seymour as well, and is ready to go again.

It definitely felt more natural today. Especially slow speed turns, which I found stressful yesterday.
    I'm so proud of her pillion skills, after just a couple of rides.

I've got to thank Stever42, who took her out over Mt Dandy, a few months back.
    Cheers mate. You did a great job with the basics. I owe you, (again).
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Nice. Did Whittlesea thru to past Yea on Monday with son in tow. Kinglake West to Flowerdale has some really nice sweepers. (y)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. What's the load limit for a pillion I'm 94kg and my wife is 70kg I ride a duc 659 would that be pushing the envelope? When I get on my fills of course
  18. Iv'e got a 5 year old son who is desperate to get on the back of my bike. He has a good few years left, then he has to convince his mother.
  19. I think total load limit was around 180kg on my bike from memory, it should say in the owners manual.

Edit: Just checked my manual and its 188kg for my bike, probably be a bit less for yours but you should be fine. Found it on the first few pages in the safety advices
  20. Not sure why I was quoted BUT I guess it would vary from bike to bike.

Would be something best checked with the manufacturer of your bike.