Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First ride to work

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Jimi, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Finally, having picked up my first bike a little over a week ago, I had the confidence to ride to work today :D (42km in peak hour) :shock:

Just thought I would put up a post to share my excitement 8)

Next task: Join one of the Netrider organised rides.... :twisted:

2. Well done Jimi, 1 step at a time and before you know it, you will wonder what made you so nervous in the 1st place :applause:

3. Congrats, peak hour too! I am looking forward to my first ride with nervous anticipation.... :D

4. hey jimi, you wouldn't have a teal Across by any chance??
    I saw one with a L-plate near my building! :)

Unfortunately, the screw on my left handlebar decided to give on one of the few FINE, SUNNY, WARM, BEAUTIFUL, NO CLOUD IN THE SKIES 22 degree days Melbourne's seen in a few weeks!! So, it was PT to work today :shock: ARRGHHH!! :(

5. Well done Jimi!!!

Sure does make the drudgery of the travel to and from work WAAAAY more fun eh? :)

6. as soon as you learn to lanesplit, it'll be traffic? what traffic! hehe...

congrats dude, and keep practising

7. Way to go Jimi!

42km? Where do you work?

I still remember my first ride in to work, it was also the first time I got completely drenched on the bike. :D :D :D

8. Congrats Jimi!

I was going to do my first ride to work today, but chickened out... again...

9. Way to go Jimi what route did you take? I couldn't stop smiling all the way down the fwy today as the cages went nowhere & lane split the whole way! woohoo!

10. That's great, well done!!

I remember when I first did that - practised on the Sunday to be ready for Monday morning. That makes me laugh now, but just shows we all started somewhere!

11. Nicely done! Bet it will be the first of many.

My first ride to work was actually a pretty relaxed affair - was expecting it to be more harrowing to be honest.

Will probably ride in tomorrow since the weather should be nice. Like you, I'm about a 40km trip, so it took me a while to eventually decide to do it.

12. Congrats Jimi.

The first time to work and home is usually the hardest one.

13. I hear ja Jimi. That ride is a real significant milestone (at least it was for me..). I assume you spent some time on the freeway with the lunatic drivers. Their unpredictability becomes easier to predict in time!!
    Don't be in a hurry to lanesplit, this comes with confidence and practice and basically you will know if/when it is right for you.
    well done, get on a ride soon (I waited too long personally to discover the joys of it).

14. Thanks all :D

It was a milestone ride. I feel good today having done it. No freeway riding to work, just going from Elwoodish to Keysborough along the Nepean Hwy and up cheltenham road.

I managed to lane split a couple of times, but am not overly confident at it - especially because I tried to lane split for the first time the other day and got so nervous I stalled, causing several shouts of abuse from the 4WD behind me :oops:

Anyway, looking forward to my ride home, it has turned out to be a great day, and will only get better :wink:

15. Leave the lanesplitting for another day Jimi, there's no rush.

I've been riding 2.5 years now, and I've only just started doin it, but still only when I get the balls up.

16. Congratulations Jimi! You'll be an old hand in no time....just take it easy out there. Remember (and I know its hard) that you have an L plate on the back of your bike for a reason, so if you make mistakes and someone gives you a hard time, just try to take a deep breath and ignore them.

I nearly killed myself on my first ride from work...which was also the first day of me having my license!

Enjoy yourself and we'll see you on the next ride!

:D :D :D

17. I agree with Mizz ZZR on this one! Leave it until you are more confident, I was encouraged to start trying it b4 our Sydney ride & guess what we didn't lane split once on that ride! I'm more confident in peak hour traffic than on country roads, corners scare me more than cars!

18. ah
    sounds like someone should be getting out on more rides.....
    Reefton GOR Kinglake sound good :p

19. See ride announcements re tomorrow night!

20. Congrats Jimi.

Before you know it you'll be looking back at how you used to ride... But make sure you take everything at your own pace.