Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First Ride to work on my new Z750

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by awseome, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Hi all,

i finally did it rode to work, was nervous as hell but it all worked out once on the road. i did notice a few riders on the freeway who were riding beside cars
    in the same lane. isn't wrong to do that? also is it ok to get ahead at red lights i noticed not many car drivers lke it. being one myself i never had a problem with that. any advise you guys would give a newbie like me to ride in the city and be safe.

2. It's called lane filtering or lane splitting. Use the search function, there is a bazillion threads on this subject.

Me I do it all the time. :grin:
  3. And no, it's not legal.

Having said that - I'll probably filter when I have a lot more experience riding and it's safe to do so.

4. Its not legal. Use some sense when you do it, I avoid doing it when the drivers look potentially dodgy, eg. utes, p platers, souped up cars, etc.
  5. i think i will go like agro once i have enough experience... seems a good way to get ahead only thought is is it worth it? if some dodgy old man has a fit and turns on u..
  6. It's not a good idea to ride beside cars if you can avoid it. But sometimes you can't. If that's the case, then make sure you are not in their blind spots anywhere, and pick a position in your lane that gives you the most room. ie...if the car is to the right of you, then ride in the LH wheel track of your lane.

As for "filtering" through to the red lights...it's not legal, but you can get away with it providing you don't make an ass of yourself and their are no police present. Most car drivers really don't mind, and for those that DO mind - F*ck 'em!. You are'nt doing them any harm in terms of their progress - you are just bending their ego's.
    Try not to be timid, or look too meek...take your place in the traffic - you have every right to be there.