Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First Ride to Phillip Island

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Ninja03, Mar 2, 2009.

1. EYy Guys!

This weekend im planning on riding to phillip island with 2 mates. My mate just bought his first bike so we were thinking of bootin down to P.I for the long weekend. Just woundering if anyone could reccommend a good route to take for learners from melbourne (East Doncaster) to P.I. Ive done a few longer rides but its my mates first decent sized ride. I typed it into google maps and it basically is all freeways to get there. Can anyone reccommend any better routes to take (Obviously not to long because we are beginners) but avoiding to many freeways?

Thanks Guys

2. To avoid the Bass Hwy a bit, the road from Korumburra to Wonthaggi, through Kongwak is quite good with a few nice corners and nice views. Just turn off the Bass Hwy and onto the Sth Gippsland Hwy to get to Korrumburra, and then right half way along the main st of Korrumburra and follow the signs.

If you're feeling particularly adventureous, you can head to Warragul along the Princes Hwy first, and then go along the Warragul-Korumburra Rd. It's very twisty, but not sure what the road condition is like at present (anyone else been along there recently?).

Either way, look out for slow moving locals (tractors and milk trucks!).

3. freeways are probably the best way to get there. you can go to Loch and cut through to Dalyston but the road is not that easy. Korumburra to Wonthaggi is nice but a bit longer.

4. You shouldn't go via Powelltown - Noojee at the moment due to ongoing fire threat, which is a shame. Warragul - Korumburra is a brilliant road but requires care. Same goes for Drouin - Poowong (even more so, milk trucks, tractors and cowpats are a real menace anywhere in South Gippy).
    There are heaps of good little roads in the square between Korumburra, Wonthaggi, Bass and Lang Lang but they require careful navigation.

I hate the Bass Hwy with a passion, unless it's GP day.

5. How did it go, did ya have a blast??

I did my first interstate trip on the bike, and rode over to the Island too. Was aweome :cool: