Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First ride this morning

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Otis_27, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Well after a month of waiting I finally had my first lesson today.
    First time I had ridden on a bike and it felt good. Thankyou to all the posters here for the tips, I found that i already knew a lot of the things you have to be wary of the first time you ride.
    Did a few laps of an empty car-park and just got the feel of turning the bike and starting and stopping.

Didn't get out of first gear but it still felt quick haha. The hardest thing I found was just the throttle control and keeping it at a constant rev level.

Can't wait for my next lesson, I'm hooked!
  2. That's a really good way to learn, well done and keep it up :)
  3. You'll find this easier out of first gear. Good to hear your having fun
  4. +1

first gear is very violent, only real way to over come it if you don't want to shift to 2nd, is to ride the rear brake
  5. Excited? :grin:
  6. First gear is hard to control, on most bike second gear is good for low speeds, but you wont get sudden bursts of acceleration. Also be careful of using throttle when turning and u turns, it can quiclkly change the lean of the bike, putting you off balance. Im currently teaching my little bro how to ride, it is surprising how easily i forgot what it is like to learn to ride, all the things i now take for granted, it all takes time and patience to learn. Good luck, and welcome.
  7. What State are you in? You should do the pre L's course if you're in NSW..
  8. Hey, (my first post too :) )

Great to hear people so enthused about their first ride on a road bike, I was the same way.

I had ridden dirt bikes a bit when I was 10-12 years old, and hadn't riden again till I did a one day "Learner Course" at DECA in shepparton. Was a really really great way to get your L's and I can't tell enough people.

Honda have one in melbourne and I'm sure there are others around, they tell you all about the bike, the controls and then what to do during the learners test.

I have to agree with everyone posting so far, you can still idle along in second, you'll find that the bike is alot smoother to accelerate and wont be as "jumpy" as first gear is.

Hope you keep us posted on the progress :)