Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First Ride Suggestions

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by Carlos Vanegas, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Hi Everyonre,

Around 5 months ago I acquired my first motorbike, it's a BMW G650GS, after commuting to work every day and riding on the weekends I want to go on a 3-5 day ride trip.
    I'm based in Melbourne and was thinking in going down to Tassie and ride from Devonport to Hobart.
    Do you guys have any suggestions/tips/advice?
    Maybe other destinations?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Vic High Country is great for a new rider, heading up there next week, depending on your budget you can get an extra couple of days up there (without the boat fare)with minimal travel
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Thanks Rus Ler. Will have a look at the options.
  4. Heaps of good roads there could easily get lost for a week, thats what I plan on doing next week
  5. Y
    Yep, luv to do it but I'm booked up on the long weekend
  6. Hi Carlos, Tassie really deserves a longer period than a quick trip down and doing the Northern Coast only. I would save it for a 7 - 10 day trip. As others have said Victorian High Country is a good option. GreyBM also pointed you at the Multi State Meetup in Jindabyne in March on the long weekend if you like. He is also taking an extended version of that trip covering 5 days if you are interested. Everyone is welcome.

If you want a trip on your own then a 3 day trip could be

Day 1
    Day 2
    Day 3

A fairly easy run for your first 3 day trip, covers the Awesome loop in the high country.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Everyone loves Tassie, just be careful though!

If you ever head north, check out the Oxley Highway in NSW! The road from Wauchope (near Port Macquarie) to to Walcha is AMAZING! You have 60/80/100 KM hour zones with so many nice tight hairpin turns for 45KMs before you get to the top and it breaks out to reach Walcha.