Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

first ride on the road

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by longhorn, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Just got back from picking up my newly acquired cbr250rr and got my very first ride on the streets. I will freely admit that i was fairly shakey to start with and being out in the rain certainly didn't boost the confidence. I managed to get the hang of it but still had a few moments of forgetting to brake or changing gear in the wrong direction.
    I think I'll stick to the suburban streets for now till I really get the hang of it.

I just wanted to ask a question of you all. At what sort of revs should I be changing gear or to take off (When I noticed, I think I was doing it at about 8000-10000). From the sound of it I felt like I was over-revving but when the gear engaged I lost all my power. I was pretty much trying to judge based on my experience driving a manual car. But I've now relised that it is quite different. Of course its not completely impossible that I was trying to take off in 2nd gear.

Plus I even managed to get my first nod to a fellow rider today also, I felt so proud.
  2. Motto of the 250 rider...

"Life begins at 8000 RPM!!"

Great to hear you're out and about, and don't worry about the rain, just allow extra time for things to happen and read up on some of the wet weather riding tips in here.
  3. And continues a lot higher than that. You'll never need to wory about over revving a CBR250. Just ride as you're comfortable and you'll get the feel for it.
  4. Well done mate and 10/10 for getting out in this crap weather.

Hope to see you on a ride soon.

:D :D
  5. When i test rode my bike before buying it, which was the first ride I'd ever done on the roads, 5 minutes into the ride another rider nodded at me... I was so shocked!
  6. Cheers for the clarification guys. I don't think I was quite giving it enough revs, plus I may have been letting the clutch out a little too fast.

Got to break those pesky manual 'cage' habits.

It was a very step learning curve today in traffic, but glad I got it out of the way and look forward to getting out again
  7. Hey longhorn,

Congrats with the new ride,I got a Babyblade too and they love to be revved right up to redline, and the power only really kicks in between 10,000 and 15,000 rpm.
    I noticed you live in templestowe if you want to meet up for a ride sometine pm me cos i'm just in the next suburb over and don't really have anyone close by to ride with.

-Michael :D
  8. I know where you're coming from... I've only been riding a coupla months and those edgy first few rides a still fresh in the mind! Just get your skills smooth on the backstreets before you try anything fancy!

Your truly was none too bright, and from his second ride on was commuting to work through traffic (and the return journey was a night ride in the pissing rain - talk about on the waiting list for a Darwin Award!). To make matters worse, an RS250 is not a bike that was *ever* designed with commuters in mind! :oops:

Just wait till you take her out and throw her round a few curves on the Dandenongs or the Great Ocean Road for the first time though, then you're living...! (Eyes glaze over and he sighs....)
  9. So you passed the first test of owning a bike and got it home in one peice even in the rain, the second test is too stay upright. Well done and enjoy this wonderful means of transport or leasure.
  10. I wouldnt be taking off at 8,000 rpms - If you drop the clutch too quickly you will be in for a nasty surprise (2,000-3000 rpms should be enough for a take off).

A way to check if you are in first or second is to kick the gear lever up into neutral, if the neutral light comes on you are in first, if it doesn't you are in second or a higher gear.

Well done on braving the rain
  11. or just click it down till it won't go down any more
  12. 2000-3000 rpm on most little 4-pot-screamers isn't likely to get much of a rousing response. On a GPX, yeah the 3/5ths of poofteenth torque might help do something at such low revs, but on a CBR/FZR/ZXR you don't really get even 1/5th of poofteenth (;)) until you get it to about 4000-5000.

Try being gentle on the clutch (not excessively slipping, but not just letting it go), and taking off gently from the lights using ~4000rpm. Should see you on your way comfortably.