Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First ride on a sports 600 (Rf600)

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by kols_kebabs, Sep 30, 2006.

1. I finally got some cash together, and was able to pay to upgrade to my full licence today. I mainly did it because I've been pillioning a bit lately, and I don't want to have to worry about getting caught any more, and also I'll be driving about 200km's this weekend, mostly freeways, so I'd like to be able to do 110.

Out of the blue, a mate called up this arvo and asked if he could come visit- a mate who owns a Suzuki Rf600. For the uninformed, the Rf600 was Suzuki's sporting 600 back in the early 90's. It makes 100hp (in a brouchure, actually more like 80hp at the rear wheel).

So I took it out for a spin. The power!! Now I know how god must feel when he rides a powerfull bike :shock:
    I'm used to being able to use full throttle, for at least a few seconds whenever a decent straight appears, but this thing was just insane. I never got it fully cranked open. You apply throttle in any gear and it will rocket you into tomorrow. These things have way too much power for the street. This isn't even a newer model, but it's still insane.

I absolutely agree with restrictions for L and P platers having ridden this. Without a few months or years riding experience, you would get seriously hurt riding one of these things. Even if you have some experience, you need a lot of maturity to be able to know your limits when riding something like this, and to not push them.

It's true what they say about sports 600's- no low down power. Roll the throttle on from 3000rpm and its much less responsive than my SZR660 (single cylinder grunt). However once the revs start to rise- watch out!! 5000rpm onwards is very quick acceleration. I didn't go past much more than 8000rpm- I mentioned this to my friend and he said that's where the real power is just starting. Between 10-13000 it's wild apparently. It's rediculous, because redline in first gear is 80km/h, so there's no way you can ever use all of the available power on the street.

Having said it has no low down power, they are very smooth, even running barely above idle, and will pull from as low as 3000rpm comfortably with no hesitation. It's just not arm tearingly quick in that range. A very easy engine to use, if you watch your throttle hand you'll have no problems.

Compared to my cramped single cylinder bike, the ride was super-smooth, such a comfortable, vibration free ride, and the large riding position was so luxurious- SZR660's really are nightmarishly uncomfortable compared to this. It is so stable, and very composed in corners. However the downside to this stability is it is much less flickable, and a lot more awkward through roundabouts and slow speed manouvering.

The biggest challenge for me was changing from a single cylinder to an inline-four. The single has huge engine braking- I roll off the throttle, or change down a gear and my bike slows the fcuk down. My engine braking is actually much stronger than my conventional brakes (although possibly my brakes need a service :p ). On the Rf600 I was hurtling towards an intersection and rolled off the throttle, expecting to slow down- and got no slower in return. These things have no engine braking. Thankfully its brakes are hugely powerfull and pulled us up easy. Just a different riding style is required obviously.

In the end, I loved the smoothness, and great stable ride. I can't wait till I can afford to own something like this. However the power is excessive, and undesirable in a roadbike from my perspective. You have to keep yourself constantly in check, and feed on the minimum of power. There is so much temptation, and it's hard not to use the power. My friend loves the bike, and it's perfect, he's the most sensible rider I know, but even he is worried about the temptation of the power, and has considered selling it for that reason.

If you want a smooth, comfortable, good looking ride, then by all means upgrade from your 250. A 600 will do most things easier.
    However if you find yourself always showing off, challenging others, and being a general hoon on your 250, and you think you'll be tempted to try and use all the power of a 600, then I would recommend you take a look at your attitude and take a little fear with you next time you ride.
  2. I just had a similar experience i posted 2 days ago i was a on a gixxer 600 coming from a postie, umm a little faster...
  3. mate well done... i think that's one of the most sensible and unbiased "reviews" on not so much a particular bike, but the switch from 250 to a bit bigger. if you apply that same maturity to your riding you'd be fine i think. (having said that i'm not exactly a seasoned veteran but i think your comments were thougth out before being posted!!!)
  4. I'll agree about thr rf600, in all honesty i have the 900, first goes to over 100 or so and i always have to keep myself in check and shift gears at a max of 4500-5000 when commuting, this thing just has way too much power.

Might be a partial reason why my license was pretty much f*ed within two months of buying the RF (30-44 over = 3 months walking once i pay the fines), plus i'll be on good behaviour for a year thanks to running ot of points in the process :-/.

They are a good bike, you just have to remember to restrain yourself :oops:
  5. "with great power comes great responsibility"

nice review :)
  6. The irony is i was usually a good boy on it too!! :oops:

One thing i sure as hell know im going to do is enrol in sbk school and then a few trackdays to get it outta my system :twisted:
  7. hah, nice plug!
  8. nice review of 250-bigger.

I'm coming off restrictions in 2 weeks so am looking to upgrade.

From what i've read it seems like the supermotards are fun around town within the speed limit. Naked vtwins are good for low down power so it'll probably be between these two types that i'll upgrade to.

I'm no speed freak or track day junkie so i think any 600 supersports is excessive and much too hard work around the suburbs.

Having said that i've only ridden my 250cbr so i really got no idea!
  9. Of twins vs fours Of the two i'd recommend the twins as they are a bit more road friendly in that you dont need to start getting the revs through the roof to start having silly fun or pulling away quickly.

Fours are good, but the "fun" is mostly at the top end (particularly the lower capacities, a good example is the gixxer 600's which im told you've got to get it above 7 thou to get it rockin along).

However the larger the capacity, the less this is apparent (one reason i got the 900). My old 750 (1987 model) started to boogie from about 4.5, and got going at 7k, however the 900 starts to go at 3k and is really pulling like a train by 5k, with a redline of about 12k.

I'm not a speed fiend, but i must admit that the acceleration rush and induction noise IS addictive. SBK school would be one way to reduce the temptation of doing anything stupid on the road and screwing myself up royally.

Motards though, damn they are fun :)
  10. Sorry to say it but anything feels faster after riding an SZR!! :LOL:
    I remember buying a 1980 model GS 1000e as a successor to my SZR, even that thing felt like a missile compared to the sizzler.
    The only time my SZR felt 'fast' was in corners.
    I rode a FZ1N the other day, that thing is F - A - S - T!!!!!!!! :shock:
  11. Nah, I've got around 100hp at the rear wheel and a first gear that does up to around 100kmh, and I find that a friendly and useable amount of power for city and street riding.

On the open roads, I often find myself wanting more.

You'd get used to the 600 in a short amount of time, sure it's powerful after the SZR but believe me it's nowhere near unmanageable.
  12. Don't get me wrong- it's heaps easy to ride.

So easy to ride, you feel like you should be going way over the limit, and anything less is difficult.

Yesterday, the rf600 owner was a bit hungover and possibly over the limit, so I agreed to pillion him home riding the rf600. Shortly into the ride he gave me a punch in the back and told me to slow down. It's just hard not to use it- my licence would be in jeopardy more than anything.

Had no troubles otherwise, even riding the ridgeway on the way home.
  13. Try one of the older litre bikes; you may find it's more to your liking. Enough grunt down low that it'll remind you of your single, but more than enough mumbo in the mid range and up top to require a change of underwear for the inexperienced.
  14. I think the easy way to explain it is that below 150km/h a 900-1000cc bike has enough power to keep most entertained. When the speeds rise above that then i too have found myself wanting a fair bit more. That said with ~115hp at the rear wheel of my current ride, any of the newer 1000cc bikes would probably give me enough of what i want. :grin:

/Tim Allen
    'Moooooorrrreee POOOOOOWWWWAAAAAHHHH!'

edit: I do not have 1150bhp... might be fun though.
  15. I think you get used to the power pretty quickly, the main thing is that it is an unknown quantity until you get used to the bike.

Only a few weeks back I went from the Across to the Blackbird - a huge jump in power (~40hp to ~150hp). But I'm quite comfortable on the 'bird. You just have to be sensible and get away from the city and traffic occasionally to have your fun.

I think if you have a sensible attitude about it you are probably okay. I know I'm glad I didn't have the blackbird when I was 17 (though the bike I had was no slouch).

I'm actually finding when some punk in a ricer fangs past me, rather than taking the bait I usually just think "well I could take you... if I wanted to" :p