Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First ride, maybe first bike too...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Mormegil, Sep 19, 2006.

1. After hours of reading and stuffing about on the net I have finally ridden a motorbike as opposed to just thinking about riding one.

My brother in law took me down to an old industrial estate behind the airport and I zipped around for a while on my sister's zzr250.

Bearing in mind there was no traffic about, I was surprised by how easy it was to handle the gears, etc. I thought my first ride would involve my stalling and kangaroo hopping around at 10km/h. After about 15 minutes I was happily zipping about at the speed limit and trying to do slaloms and low speed uturns in the carpark.

Managed to stall it a couple of times taking off but never had any trouble once I was on the move.

Anyway, my sister wants to move on to a cruiser and they've offered to sell me the zzr250 for $2000. It's a 1992 with 30000km.

In my head I'd budgeted up to $5000 for a bike and I was probably talking myself into getting a cbr250rr. But I'm thinking the zzr250 is a much more practical decision - it's been dropped a couple of times so it's got a few scratches but it's in good mechanical condition. Newish battery, tyres are fine, few months rego. It's the first bike I've ever ridden so I can't compare it to anything but everything felt comfortable and easy to handle.

The extra $3000 could go on nicer safety gear and make a start towards a 600 in a year's time. This seems like a reasonable idea doesn't it?
  2. Sounds spot on for a first bike to me. :grin:
  3. Congrats on the first ride! You'll soon find that its a feeling you cant really express - riding is GREAT for the soul!!!

And in regards to the ZZR, sounds like a perfect learners bike. I've personally had my zzr for about 18months and its been fantastic. It was the first bike i'd really ever ridden other than the one at the l's test and a few select others a long time ago!! They are great to learn on, and i cant speak higher of them. What you mentioned is exactly what ive done - got the zzr cheapish, saved some cash and just recently got a 600.

Good luck!!! :grin:
  4. I'll admit I thought that my first ride would be too difficult to be fun. I was genuinely surprised at how easy and enjoyable it was. I figure that traffic will put a damper on both of those but that's an issue for another day...
  5. Congrats on your first ride! As long as you like the bike and can manage it, I say go for it. I've never ridden a ZZR, but from what I hear they are good to learn on. I didn't go straight to CBR and I'm glad I didn't. CBR responds more sensitively than some other 250s, especially with the throttle. Depends on your current skill level and location of riding. I went straight into busy traffic, so poor throttle control on a sensitive bike would have been even more scary. I remember my 2nd day on the roads in peak traffic...stop, start, stop, start... 1m at a time, wobbling the whole way. Boy was I crap! But you gotta start somewhere. Although one thing very good for learners with CBRs is they are very small. Solid footing is very reassuring.
  6. not necessarily! :wink:

The first time i actually got to ride on the road was in the quite possibly the worst condtitions possible.

Drove up from canberra on my only day off in two weeks so i was determined to get the bike back to canberra that day. Unfortunately, it was POURING with rain, the wind was insane, and just to make it that little bit more interesting, i didnt end up leaving sydney until about 5.30ish. Got stuck, smack bang in peak hour in GORGEOUS conditions... ended up being quite fun and hence i dont think i could ever ride in worse conditions.

Keeps it interesting!! :LOL:
  7. Yeah the ZZR is a fantastic bike to learn on and at 2k it seems like a good option to begin your riding career on. Still you really want to get a cibby there should be nothing stopping you...

Yes I realise this post doesn't really help, but two thumbs up for getting out there on a bike. :)
  8. Sounds like you've nailed it straight off; enjoy :)
  9. definitely go the ZZR!!! good bike, good price!
  10. Bugger getting the CBR, get the ZZR (for that price and KMs, your laughing). Get good, comprehensive gear, insurance and squander the rest on petrol!
  11. Go the ZZR, everyone says it but no one listens to it, you're going to drop your first bike. (ok maybe like 2% off people don't, they're the minority)

$2k is a pretty good price on the road. And you won't have much to risk if u bin it (heaven forbid). Also helps to know that the bike is in good working order. Something you might not be able to get if you buy elsewhere.

Not sure how much difference there is performance wise between a ZZR and a CBR? After riding an RGV I found the CBR somewhat underwhelming anyway.
  12. I will admit that's part of the appeal. My sister had a drop at a standing start so there are a few fairing scratches (no cracks). That means when I drop it I won't be the first.

The appeal of knowing exactly what the bike has been doing for the last year and a bit is also a pretty strong draw.

Small technical question - the clutch lever took a bit of a hit when it dropped. It works fine but the knob on the end has snapped off. How big a hassle is it to replace something like that (purely for cosmetic/vanity reasons).

Is it something that I could have a shot at myself after a visit to a wreckers or will I need to worry a lot about stuffing up the clutch cable tension. I haven't got a lot of experience mucking about with mechanical things so bear that in mind if you answer.
  13. Can't say for sure on the ZZR but I changed my RGV clutch lever twice. (errmm.... all part of the learning experience :shock: )

Shoot down to the bike shop.... a lever costs $15 - 25. One bolt out, pull out the lever, detatch the cable, attatch cable to new lever, push lever back in, put bolt back on. Done in 10 mins max.
  14. Deal is done.

My brother in law is going do a sparks and oil change, organise a RWC and then I'll be a bike owner.

Now all I need is a license to go with it.....
  15. Sounds like the ZZR is a goer, from everything I've heard they're a great all-round bike. A friend of mine has one too.

About the clutch lever, you can buy replacements from any bike shop, they aren't very expensive, or you can get one from the wreckers. Very easy to replace, usually like 1 bolt. It should just be a straight swap with your broken one, so you shouldn't stuff up the clutch cable tension or anything like that.

Good luck :)