Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First ride in traffic

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by BevD, Nov 2, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Well finished work yesterday and hubbie thought it would be a good idea for me to get on the road for a ride.
    I thought he meant around our small, very quiet, hardly any traffic area....silly me!

So he jumped on his YZF600 and I hopped on my CB125e, we did do a few practice loops around our area, it is a small development of houses off the main roads with no through roads so really only people who live there or visit come in. After the practice loops he took me onto the main road (Grand Junction - if you live in Adelaide you know it IS a main road), I followed him up to Bridge Road and around the neighbouring suburb of Pooraka where he went around roundabouts and did a few small turns before returning to the main road and travelling to a friends house a few k's away.

What an experience that was! A bit scary but also exciting. I seriously thought the cars were a lot closer behind than they actually were. Also found I must remember to turn off the indicators LOL, started remembering half way through our ride to keep checking they were off, another thing to get used to!

All in all it was a great ride for me, hubbie only took off once in the 80 zone as I was a bit reluctant to go that fast on my first time out but managed to get to 75 - go me. Looking forward to the next ride with him as must say he is very patient and gives me lots of tips as we go along.

Til next time, Cheers,
    8-|

• Like Like x 19
    • Winner Winner x 6
  2. Nice work! It's kinda scary he first couple of times, but you get used to it (eventually) :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Good job but take your time, don't rush to get out of your comfort zone. Nice and easy does it....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. What a star! Good on you BevDBevD, riding with your husband and mentor helps building your confidence and experience. Keep up good work and stay safe :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Congratulations on your progress. I am sure your hubby is keeping a close watch on you. Make sure you warm that 125e Honda up properly because they are a bugger until they get warm.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Snaps to you BevDBevD :) Lucky girl having a permanent riding partner! :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Well done! I am luckier, living in a smallish large town of about 60000 people, so traffic isnt usually too bad

• Like Like x 1
  8. well done :] it gets easier & keep having fun

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Congrats!! Give it a few months and you'll be weaving through traffic with the best of us!

Keep working on it and developing your skills and you'll be loving it before you know it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Awesome! You'll get more confident, I promise! I'm a new rider too - did my L's, then had a few lessons on a CBR125, then purchased a Yamaha R3 (which is a 320 cc bike) ... I'm a lot more confident than what I was when I first started in July! Last weekend I rode with a friend up a National park (I'm in NSW) and loved doing the curvy bits - I wasn't the most confident at cornering when I started lol

• Like Like x 3
  11. You'll rapidly acquire skill dodging dunderheads and lunatics living out that way haha. Good work.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Yes certainly is scary but exciting too!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thanks chillibutton

14. Thanks Diantra I surely am lucky and glad he is very patient too ☺

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thanks Eric, have been told to start it up and then by the time I get my gear on should be good to go.

16. Yeah be careful with those indicators, if a car thinks you're gonna turn they won't think twice about pulling out in front of you.

Good ride though. have fun learning.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Yeh thanks Kurtz getting the hang of it quickly. ⬅➡

18. Congrats! That first ride in traffic is always exciting! Have you guys got intercoms? We have them and remind each other to turn off our indicators, if we've forgotten, they're also super handy for hubby to let me know about any potential hazards up ahead, I love them and wish I had of had them from day 1. I also found that if I leave my thumb over the indicator switch, I was more likely to remember to turn it off. Enjoy :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. HI BevD,
    Im Adelaide...know those streets well..AS that's were i started and around Industrial areas (quite) practice braking ,down shifting,ect

Also watching a show on YOU TUBE..called (Twist of the wrist 2) Ive become more confident from it. A Bible for two wheels.(i think)

Catch u out there.

20. I got my bike licence 25 years ago but I still remember the first day I rode on the road in traffic and how fast 60kph seemed and thinking "oh shit what have I got myself into". 13 bike and about 450,000km later I'm starting to get the hang of it :)

• Like Like x 8