Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First ride in Aussie....and first breakdown! Pics

Discussion in 'Multimedia' at netrider.net.au started by tubbsy, Apr 7, 2010.

1. So...new to Aussie, bought my bike of e-bay, guy swore up and down he was legit and bike was aces, turns out it's not.

Arrived in Aus from NZ about 2 weeks ago, took my first ride up North yesterday....and broke down 100km from home.

Ride up there was cool though.

While I was up there....3rd one down is the breakdown location, heading back the bike just kinda started losing power, and then as I pulled to the side of the road, clutch in, it just cut out an didn't restart......sigh

2. Plenty of fuel in it, Was it jerky when slowing down, bit more info,
    Nice Bike BTW,

3. Thanks mate. It's an older bike, but I like it.

Yeh, plenty fuel. It's had the carbs done recently, and chain and sprockets. Apparently regular oil changes too. Riding up was smooth as silk.

Thing is, when it idles, the idle alternates between 1,350 rpm and 2,100 rpm.
    I was riding round Terrigal town, and noticed that when I opened the throttle, intermittently it got really jerky, and then it'd be ok.

On the way out of town, started sounding like it was running rough, power got less and less and then as I pulled over it cut out. And yep, jerky, but not massively so.

NRMA guy looked it over, couldn't work out what was up. He hooked it up to an external battery (battery is fine on the bike) so the extra power managed to start it up. Rode for another 2km and it got jerky, lost power and cut out again. Got a tow truck back.

Today I managed to run start it down some steep driveway, and seems to run fine, but obviously something is not right.

4. something in the fuel line or filter that intermittently blocks them up ?

5. Potentially. Would the spark plugs cause that? Hmmm....not sure. Couple of people have suggested fuel issues, hope it's that easy.

6. Ride it with the fuel cap open a bit, might be vacuum in the tank, sounds like a blocked fuel line, Maybe water in the carbs, Half a cup of metho in the fuel will get rid of the water,
    How much did the previous owner ride it, Might be old fuel.

7. I've opened the fuel cap after it's done it and there's not been a 'woosh' sound like I've seen suggested if there's a vacuum. Prior owner eventually admitted to me it had been standing awhile and he struggled to start it before bringing it to me. He had to get the carbs cleaned, so yeh, maybe bad fuel. I have filled the tank recently, so don't imagine that will have cleared it though.

Sucks, all I wanna do is get out on the roads and explore.

8. No whoosh. so no Vacuum problems in the tank, Only other thing is water in the carbs or a fuel blockage.
    Drain the carbs and see if water or crap comes out, Failing that you will have to wait till one of our smarter whizz's chimes in to help you,

9. Cheers, Might have to bite the bullet and get it to a mechanic and then share the learnings on here.

10. Don't rule out the vacuum issue yet. If the breather is not totally blocked you can still create a vacuum while running, that disappears a few seconds after you turn it off. But my money is on a partial blockage in the fuel delivery (filter?).

11. I'm certainly no mechanic but sounds like a fuel issue.
    I'd be using the cost V effort rule and takin' her to the Doc.

12. Definitely will, thanks Uncle.

13. Yep, I agree with that. If it's an older bike AND it's been sitting for a while, the symptoms you describe could be indicative of a number of issues that can potentially ruin your riding enjoyment. Cost vs Effort? Yeah, take it to a good wrench, get it sorted and then hit the roads with confidence. Love the RF, BTW; a lot of people overlooked the RF's but I think they're great.

14. Yeh, I really like it, but won't be riding till I get it sorted as I don't wanna break down again. May just take it to a Mech, describe symptoms and take it on the chin. Could do without that added costs after moving here, then buying the bike, then being stung almost $1k to re-register it....sheesh! :-({|=

Like I say, the ride up North had me grinning though.

15. I rode one of these from Bunbury to Rockingham once..... in an hour....
    awesome bike mate..... I had the 600 as well, nice, but thirsty.... Easiest bikes in the world to work on as well... if you were in Vic, I could fix it for you....

Sass

16. If you don't plan on taking passengers around, then getting yourself a single seater cowling and a mod plate to suit (bout $80 when I did it) you can save yourself several hundred each year on rego costs.

-
    Chris

17. Yeh, I do enjoy riding it for sure.....when it's going. How many KM's roughly to a tank do you get?

18. Oh really?!?! That's good to know. And when you register it do you just say it's a single seater.

Another stupid question probably, but how do you get a bike road worthied? Do you have to do a blue slip yearly or something?

19. After you make it single seater (also remove passenger foot pegs etc), it needs to be checked over by an engineer. Most bike shops/mechanics can point you to someone qualified to do this.
    They attach a mod plate somewhere on the bike, and give you some paperwork to take to the Department of Transport who then alter your registration from 2 seater to single, and future rego bills will be significantly cheaper.

Getting a roadworthy is as simple as taking it to any trustworthy mechanic who checks it over for you and signs it off as being safe, or lets you know what needs to be fixed. *

With regards to how often you do this, it depends on the state. Some are yearly, others are only when you first register the vehicle..

-
    Chris

*Some dodgy mechanics may accept a bribe to let you off on minor things like noise/emissions and modifications.

20. shhhhhhhh, i'm hunting wabbits