Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First ride/bike after 35 years!

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by gmawby, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Hello,
    the title says it all! I've got a bike after 35 years on four wheels and as I never bothered to take the test when I was 17 I'm back on Ls.
    My start/stops are OK but I need to work on tight left handers (I find it harder to turn left than right) and my slow speed maneuvers need practice.
    This is a pre requisite to my bucket list which includes ride across India on a Royal Enfield!
    Current bike: Honda VT250 Spada,

2. Welcome!
    The ride across India sure is a great goal.
    Since you are in Sydney, get down to the leaner sessions at Homebush. They are free, have the MOST curse set out and can help you out with all the slow speed stuff. You'll find a thread on it.
  3. I was in the same boat when I came back to riding in 2011 (36 years for me). I think having to be on L's for 3 months was the best thing. If I had been able to go straight out on any capacity bike, I probably would've killed myself very early on.
  4. Welcome, never too late to discover the joys of two wheels..
  5. Hello and welcome, riding across India on a Royal Enfield sounds like a great adventure.
  6. welcome to NR, fully agree about getting to Homebush!! you'll love it
  7. Thank you for the words of encouragement and advise. I agree with wyno that Ls are a good thing for me. I'll make my way to Homebush when I'm a little more confident in traffic as I'll have to negotiate Pennant Hills and Silverwater roads to get there.

8. Hi Glenn.
    Welcome fellow newbie. Getting back on the bike is SOOO much fun . I have a mate who rides a new "old" Royal Enfield Bullet and we are hoping to do the 17 day ride , on Bullets, through Bhutan next year. Plan well ahead trips book out early and there are restrictions on numbers allowed in by the Govt.
    When you are our age you have to grab the bull by the nuts, twist hard and hang on for the ride !
  9. Why India? Can't really imagine an Enfield amidst the chaos of traffic in India.
  10. http://royalenfield.com/

Not made in England any more, George.