Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First ride as a learner

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by midlife, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Hi all. I started my journey on two wheels in a backward kind of way. I bought my bike and gear first, then set about getting my learners permit. I ALWAYS wanted to own a motor bike but life got in the way as well as a million other excuses. But early this year the stars were aligned right or something, and i was able to finally get my bike.

After much research through this website and others, i chose a GS500F as my first taste of life on two wheels. It took a while to get my licence (where I live the test is only once a month and I couldn't make it until last weekend). So my beast was sitting in the garage and probably getting annoyed with me sitting on it, starting it up then switching it off. No riding, no corners or long straights for 3 months :(

After concentrating super hard and being really nervous, I managed to pass the rider safe course yesterday. First thing I did today was pay for my licence, attach the L plate, quick check of the bike, geared up from head to toe in my shiny new gear and off I went on my first proper ride.

OMG what an experience. I was grinning like the Cheshire cat and woo-hooing the whole time. I'm lucky that there were few cars out on the tight 50km suburban roads and that I was able to stretch the bikes legs out on the more open 80-100 km zones. The flyings ants were out in force and my shiny new visor copped a belting. But I didn't care, I was loving every second of it. The speed didn't worry me as I knew the bike was more than capable. It felt very balanced and I was riding well within mine and the bikes comfort zones.

Only down side was getting back home. A very impatient person was right up my backside as I was turning into my drive way. I panicked and completely messing up my entry and dropped my beast right in the driveway. No harm done as it was pretty much at a standstill and luck was on my side as it landed in the grass :woot:

Things I'll need to practice (apart from everything) is turning right at intersections and roundabouts, cancelling the indicator, knowing exactly which gear I'm in when slowing down/speeding up, riding in heavier traffic, relaxing and of course braking.

All in all though, I can see why you guys do it, love it and keep on doing it. I can't wait for tomorrow to go at it again. I've got so many road trips planned that my weekends are filled for months. And i hope you guys dont mind reading up on my newbie stories and experiences with life on two wheels :cool:

• Like Like x 21
    • Winner Winner x 6
  2. welcome aboard :) congrats on the Ls.
    The L plates seem to attract dickheads, don't stress to much about it focus on the front.
    Drops are part of the journey :p and in time it will all start to fall into place.
    enjoy :)

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Howdy midlifemidlife :happy: Welcome to the forums and life on two wheels! Congrats on getting your ticket to ride and a nice steed (y) Now let the exciting times of "OMG, f..k that was close, b...dy awesome, etc" begin. Sounds like you've been bitten by the motorcycling bug. There's no cure, so have fun becoming best mates with your Suzie and explore your beautiful part of the world together.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Welcome to obsession midlifemidlife . You will now think about bikes, learn about them, dream about them, lust after them...... I'm working towards my PhD in them. Enjoy and stay safe. :happy:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Knowing you Sunshine, it will be mighty fine body of work :whistle::sneaky:(y)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Interesting turn of phrase, JeffcoJeffco

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Hey midlifemidlife

Welcome to NR,

The GS500F was my second bike, 6 months into riding, in 2015. They are a great bike to learn on, if a little tippy at low/no speed.
    It will definitely teach you the art of balance, my friend.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gratz mate i'm a new rider too and i'm loving too its been 3 weeks for me now im am using the bike to go to work its make going to work fun :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Welcome to NR from Adelaide. I get down your way a bit, so we should be able to hit you up for a ride one day.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Welcome to the forum.

Just remember - as long as you have an L plate on the back you have the the most perfect excuse to hold up traffic and take your time - never be rushed because other idiots can't read!

I'm sure when you are driving in your car you do not mind waiting or taking it slow behind an L plater - same goes when you are on the bike - MOST drivers will steer a wide berth around you (you get those idiots though that you just want to punch......)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. I dunno, I thought drivers were not as bad as reported when my L plates were on. Since not having them I have encountered plenty of dickheads and you know what??? 90% of them are in a 4WD.

To op well done and enjoy.

12. You were lucky :p I found that if I dared keep to the 50 or 60 KPH zones I would inevitably have some d1ckhead on my arse

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. I only spent 4wks on L plates and my bike is 10% out so I am always speeding so most of the time. However it does not stop people in huge 4WD and even those stupid rav 4 style things from trying to drive up my ass. Especially at stop signs, they think they can drive beside me instead of keeping behind and as I don't want to be in the grease all I can do is turn around and stare them down. One day I will just get off the bike and explain to them what they are doing is dangerous but sadly I think I just be wasting my breath. Riding a bike certainly shows you just how stupid, careless and inconsiderate drivers really are and 4wd are the worst offenders.

14. Thanks for the support and wisdom guys. Us new riders appreciate it and while I can't speak for everyone, Ive put into practice on the roads and think about what's been mentioned in other threads.

It's day 2 now and I'm about to ride for an hour or two to the next town to buy a coffee and a chocolate donut. Just because I want to get out and enjoy my day off with this last of the nice weather. Having a bike to ride is just the perfect excuse to get out. :LOL:

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. and this is the cause of riders needing progressively more horsepower due to upsets in the donut to exercise ratio =D
    and it all ends up at the Harley shop :LOL:

enjoy your bike

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Just got back from my 200km round trip to get my donut.
    Thought id share a few things I noticed on my ride, which was about 90% highway and very little suburban riding.

One: just how exposed to the elements you are when you ride. I expected the wind, noise, smells etc, but I didn't expect to "feel the road". Every bump, groove and change of surface was very noticeable. I reckon I hit every bug out there today. The noise they make when they splatter on your visor was something else. Also how terrifying it is when you come across a dead wallaby or a " not sure what animal it was, but it's now red and slippery" in the middle of the road as you exit a corner. The buffeting of the wind when a big truck flies past in the opposite direction.
    All these things are there when you drive a car, but on a bike they seem more real.

Two: This is a bit new age and zen like, but bear with me here. I was behind (3 second gap) a logging truck and as I was getting pinged by little bits of bark and dirt I realised something. While I was riding I was concentrating on every little thing going on. The vibration and noise of the bike, the speed and variations on the road, other vehicles, the bark bouncing off my shoulder and a million other things. I noticed that i hadnt given any thought towards all my everyday stresses and worries. Here I was riding behind a big truck clinging onto a bike doing 100km/hr (I am a learner after all) and that was all that mattered. It was such a liberating feeling. I'm wondering if anyone else notices this after years of riding or if they go on a ride simply to destress and unwind.

If your still reading this, thanks. Hope you had a great day and that you don't forget how much fun it can be out there.

• Like Like x 11
  17. Sounds good Eric. None of my mates have a bike, so it'll be a lot of solo riding for me. I would like to get advice from an experienced rider and have them pick up on my mistakes before they form into bad habits.

18. I have only been riding 5wks and got my full r-e on friday. Since then I have racked up 400km lol. Riding is both relaxing as hell and andrenaline fuelled at the same time. I finally plucked up some courage and went into a bend at 80, I exited that bend at 115 in 5th at 10,000rpm and man what a feeling. I am certainly not encouraging this behaviour but I felt comfortable enough to do it, plus I have driven/ridden the same road 100 times. But anyway back to the point, I understand your zen feeling totally.

19. Good news for you midlifemidlife - you never really lose the feelings you've described. One might get more used to them (and require more speed at times to 'lose yourself' in the moment) but the basic visceral experience remains.

Biking really is pretty awesome isn't it.

20. I'm enjoying the remarks by the OP ... no matter how old you get it never gets old :)

ah but just wait until you experience following a livestock truck :playful:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1