Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First reasonable distance lone ride

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Tone2, Sep 3, 2011.

1. I'm heading from the western suburbs of Sydney down to Gerroa today; coming back tomorrow afternoon (my wife and kids will be following in the car on the way back). The weather is fantastic, perfect for being on a cruiser on the highway. It's 160km and just under 2 hrs in the car, so factoring in 80km/h max the whole way spins it out a bit more. I've been looking forward to this all week! \\:D/

2. Enjoy!

The non-cruiser riders might not quite understand the joy of highway cruising :)

3. Enjoy!! I've just got back from doing "The Loop" as we locals know it. Macquarie Pass, Kangaroo Valley, Cambewarra, Nowra, Kiama Bends, Jamberoo and home, the weather was sparkling at 6:30 and though it's a bit cloudy now, it's great riding weather.

4. Rode down Sat early afternoon, great weather. The freeway at 80km'h isn't anything to write home about. Bit of a stiff butt by the time I got there. I still enjoyed it all though!

I even took a few traffic cones down and practiced some slow speed stuff for a while yesterday - me on the bike, two of my kids weaving around them on bicycles! Around lunchtime, a nice ride around Gerroa/Berry/Gerringong, great countryside, nice roads, lots of bikes out.

Riding home last night, mostly after dark. Realised my headlight is pretty crap when on Picton Road, but my wife then led in the car rather than followed me. The freeway is even less interesting in the dark when you're a bit cold. Very stiff butt by the time I got home. But I still enjoyed it all - I love riding!

And to top it all off, I even got a nod from a Harley rider with ape hangers on the way to work this morning...

5. Lambswool seat cover kills the numb bum syndrome,

6. The Yamaha stock seats on the cruisers come in for a bit of a caning in Yamaha forums - lots of people advocate upgrading to a Mustang seat. Apparently they're fantastic, but they're a bit expensive.

7. You'll soon be doing an Iron Butt ride.... :D

Lone riding can be great fun, I had a long weekend in Scotland last weekend, about 1750 miles over 4 days up ther East coast, across the Highlands and down the West coast. It was cold, wet and really windy but great all the same.