Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First Proper Wet Weather Ride

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by InvalidUser, Jan 11, 2015.

1. So although there were several forecasts of upcoming showers I decided I'd ride to work today.
    At around about 6pm it started to bucket down but eased later on in the night. By the time I was leaving work (11pm) it had slowed quite a lot.
    I'd ridden in the wet in the past but it has never been as heavy as it was tonight.
    Considering it was my first experience I didn't do too bad (kinda fun actually) but my main concern is just what to do with my leathers. I've given all my gear a thorough wipe down but was just wondering if I should be doing anything else to maintain it a bit better
    My jacket looks ok for the most part but theres some areas where it looks like the waters seeped through and I can't tell with my gloves as they're black.
    Does anyone have any suggestions ?
    Mind you I don't plan to do much wet weather riding, only for when I get caught out like tonight.

2. Bit of leather conditioner occasionally and they'll be fine even if you do make a habit of it, I'm of the opinion that concerns of leather and rain are misrepresentations of the truth. My gear certainly hasn't suffered from it.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I don't ride too often but I might grab some of that just in case.
    Any particular types I should get or all they all about the same?
  4. Leather is waterproof for about 30 mins after that you need wet weather gear
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Congrats on surviving! WTF are you leaving work at 11pm for?? Hope you didn't start at 8am....
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. I suggest you give this thread a read, my musings are on the second page https://netrider.net.au/threads/leather-cleaning-conditioning.112802/ in short I think it's more a case of personal peferance. And it's a good idea to use it even if you gear is always dry, stops it drying out and becoming hard and unpleasant.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. #7 Oldmaid, Jan 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    Anyone on NR who has worked in health, particularly hospitals knows the joys of shift work.
    I did shift work for about 20+ yrs made me the madman...whoops..woman I am today...sometimes ended up pulling 24hour shifts or 72 hours on call where sometimes lucky to get about 2 hours at a go of uninterrupted sleep esp over weekends! :wacky::depressed:
    So be kind to your doctors, nurses and ancillary staff please! This long shift insanity still goes on!
    why I got out for now. Yipee yahooo:D
    I wouldn't have been in a fit state to be able to ride home... Was often either that bloody tired or worse still soooo wired, I wouldn't have survived a ride...seriously:facepalm:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Well done InvalidUserInvalidUser ! And at night- kudos(y)
    I also found my first wet ride kinda fun as well...although I was worried a bit about the lightning...haven't had a wet ride at night yet but sure it will come soon given the attractive weather in Sydney at present.:(
    Hope your leathers are okay. I was really chuffed that my boots were so water tight...pleasantly surprised.
  9. I was more surprised that the water soaked through to my shirt under my leathers, should this even happen?
    My jeans probably got the worst of it though.

I work nights - Saturdays are my early shifts actually - start 2:30 (thats why I never make it to the learner sessions at homebush =[)
    Every other day I work from 5:30 - 2 or 3am

Thanks - will definitely have a read
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. I just read that other thread. Those products are all pretty pricey on a per quantity basis Some are silicon based (hydrophobic) which is good, but I can't say I've encountered anything on the face of it better value or significantly more effective than either products made for saddlery, (the Joseph Liddey brand springs to mind) or SnoSeal - available at any disposals or hiking shop. This is great value if you buy a tin (at $40 approx. - Last you years) Some of these wax/oil blends benefit from the gentle application of heat (like from a hair dryer) to improve penetration.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. hey all,

Also been investigating wet weather gear options. I don't have time to go to a shop this week and even if I order online it will take a few days to arrive which doesn't help me with Sydney's rubbish weather right now. I have a waterproof onesie and waterproof boots (which aren't actually waterproof... called mcas about that today) but it's my gloves that I need something for currently i.e. today...

Is wearing disposable gloves over my leather gloves a completely ridiculous idea?!?! Or does anyone have other suggestions? Today when I got to work my hands and fingers were black/ purple (from the leather, not bruised as someone at work thought!) and very wrinkly. Luckily I brought my spare pair of cheapo aldi gloves with me to wear home (plus spare socks, must have known not to trust Rjays brand??)

anyway, suggestions, ridiculous or not, welcome :D
  12. A couple of brown bags from Coles works for me....

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. lol membermember

ok the disposable glove idea seems less ridiculous now :D :p
  14. Use a heavy duty moisturiser on you hands before you leave, heat your grips perhaps. How old are the gloves? Unfortunately leather tends to do that but it calms down with use. I'd think disposable gloves would be better on the inside if anywhere. Personally I wear a basic pair of uninsulated joe rocket gloves all season all weather, works well with my grip heaters.
  15. Plastic shopping bags inside your boots works well too. :) Thats a serious suggestion it does work.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. they're fairly new - October. I'm actually not that fussed about the colour of my hands, it's more the time it takes for them to dry out
    When I next get to a shop I'll be investing in waterproof gloves, but for now I'll need to make do with a DIY solution :p
    Have also heard good things about grip heaters and plan on getting some before winter strikes ;) (though in saying that, I rode a pushy in Northern Ireland weather for a year including through snow and black ice, never lost a finger to frostbite :D )
  17. GOOD ONE!!!! I'm soooo doing that sarvo :D :D
  18. I have a DriRider overcoat & pants set i keep in my tail bag.

You're looking at $100 for the set, they have saved me many a time here in Melbourne when the weather has turned nasty.

Attached Files:

19. ChristinekChristinek The disposable latex gloves are fine as a temporary measure. I buy the 50 pack from coles for a fiver or something for dirty mechanic work, fibreglassing etc. Just blow into them to expand them and then carefully slip them over your gloves - they do split easily. However if you're careful they last me on my spare gloves (my 'rain' gloves) for several trips to work and back before they're shot.

Alternatively, if you work in Health like the OldmaidOldmaid get a pair of the blue gloves they use - they do a large size too. Even easier.

Temporary, but works for me. That said i wore gumboots on the cbr this morning because my bike boots were still wet from yesterday! Farmer Giles style ;)
    • Like Like x 2
  20. haha, yeah my mum works in a retirement village so she brings me boxes of them to fake tan :p I'll ask her to get me some larger sizes!
    I'll raid the First Aid kit before I leave work ;)