Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First post/New battery question (cb250)

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by ceebee250, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Hi everyone!
    I just came across this site yesterday and found the people to be heaps friendly. I particularly like the new rider forum. I have been riding for 4 years now, but I still have my learners bike - a Honda CB250 (as if you couldn't of guessed!), so its good to be able to talk to other 250 owners.

I bought a new battery today for my CB. The old one still had life, but the positive connector snapped. It has given me grief over the past year or 2 anyway as the connector has always been detaching, so I'm happy to ditch it.

I have a question about the acid that comes with the new battery. Its a Roadstar CTX7L-BS. It comes with 2x6 packs of acid. Do I need to use both of the acid packs? The instructions say it requires 0.33 of a litre, but the acid packs don't say how much they contain, and there is no mention of the second pack in the instructions as they seem to be generic for a few different models.
    It's a silly question I know, but I thought I better ask here first as I don't want to overflow and spill any of the stuff.
    Any help would be appreciated as I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to batteries.

Cheers, and Merry Christmas!

2. Has the battery got a full level on it ?

3. If your battery doesn't have a fill level on the side, you generally can't go wrong having the acid level halfway between covering the plates inside and totally full. The acid needs an air space above it, as it heats up and expands when the battery takes a charge or does hard work(lots of starting).

Regards, Andrew.

4. I hadn't checked for a fill level, but no there doesn't appear to have one.

5. Typhoon is spot on. The battery will work at its most efficient if the electrolyte level is just covers the plates. On a bike which accelerates, decelerates and leans over, a bit extra is required to allow for 'sloshing'. As Typhoon said, about halfway from the top of the plates to full is about right. With a new battery, re-check the level after the first charge as it will settle a little.

6. Hi ceebee250 , welcome .