Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First pair of riding boots

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by PreviousUser8, Jun 16, 2007.

1. I've started buying gear but need some advice about boots. (I haven't even passed my L's yet. That's next weekend. Woohoo)

Everyone I've talked to says to avoid laces, which makes sense to me. (I mean, if someone is going to get their laces caught on something, it'll be me) But my brother has recently suggested army boots. He said that they're comfortable to walk in, if I have an 'off' that requires a trip to the hospital then they'll cut the laces and not the boot. You can also tuck the laces in at the top and cover it all with your trouser leg. This also makes sense to me so now I'm confused.

So my questions are:
    Does anyone wear lace-ups riding?
    Am I missing something that means I should definitely, under all circumstances wear riding specific boots?
    Provided it covers my ankle, does it matter?

2. For every day riding something that protects your ankle should be ok. I used to ride with sneakers until I got some $120 rjays ones with some protection, and laces. I tucked them in, it wasn't a big worry. But the boots were crap and fell apart, so I took them back 3 times, then upgraded to a $200 pair. $200 is probably the entry level for decent protection for harder riding.

But for riding around town, army boots or something that has good ankle protection is fine, as I said.
  3. I wear hiking boots that cover my ankles. They're lace up, but I've never caught them in anything - just make sure they're done up properly and they're the right length.

The reason I wear hiking boots is that they're comfortable enough to walk in all day, I can run insanely fast in them if I need to, I can wear them at work, and they protect me quite well on the bike. If I had specific motorbike boots, I don't think I'd actually wear them most of the time, and they'd wear out after a few weeks with the way I'd treat them.

Army boots are fine, but they take such a long time to get on and off that you might be inclined not to bother. (I can remember being ordered to sleep with my boots on in cadets because of a security threat from people camping nearby, because we wouldn't have time to put them on if we were woken up.)

You can also get zippers (eg http://www.kitbag.com.au/prod633.htm) attached to normal lace up boots.
  4. Yeah, laces aren't the best. Say you're going to put your foot down and stop, the lace gets caught... all of a sudden you're lying on the ground. :oops:
    So saying, I still ride in lace-up boots sometimes... :p

A proper pair of boots is best. I've got some Alpinestars that I highly recomend. I can't remember the model, but they are plain black leather, more touring style than funky sports boots. Waterproof, comfortable (I walk around in them all day), great in winter but a bit hot to wear all the time on a 30+ day in summer.
  5. I bought some ICON ankle boots. They have heaps of ankle protection and a flap to secure the laces.

They're very comfy too.
  6. I first started riding using army boots and I found them quite uncomfortable to ride in especially to change gears. I would suggest buying a pair of riding boots since their designed for riding and the ones these days are quite comfortable to walk in as well.
  7. Boots or shoes designed for a bike are always going to be a lot better. The trouble with lace up boots - in addition to the issues you may face if a lace becomes loose - is that should it rain, or even should the roads just be wet, you've got a rather strong likelihood of ending up with wet feet given you've got an opening in the boot directly in line with the direction water is going to be coming at your feet at speed. Impact protection wise, they are going to be far better than any other "regular" footwear, but nothing beats footwear specifically designed for the purpose.

Oh and you may find if the toes are too high and rounded, depending on the bike, that you have difficulty comfortably getting them underneath the gear lever for changing gears. I've got a pair of steel capped hiking boots that I've found extremely cumbersome to ride in on some bikes. (Riding overseas, didn't have my boots with me).
  8. I wear army GPs for riding at the moment. The laces are a bit high to get caught on anything, and they are under my pants so it's never been a problem.

They've served me well, comfy to walk in, but they were just lieing around for the last 2 years so that's why i'm using them.

Come the proper size/deal/brand i'm going to spend at least $300 and get a proper pair.

Thinking Sidi Vertigo, or a pair of Gaerne boots will be best for me.
  9. Yeah, I wear lace up hiking boots too. Nice solid leather construction, and the sole is wider than the upper, so it offers a modicum of toe protection.
    I tuck the tied up laces (double knotted!) into the top of teh boots, no chance of catching them that way.
    Whatever you end up buying, wear them around the house as much as you can to soften them up, time on the bike is fairly limited relative to other footwear, and it'll speed up break in considerably.
    SOme suggest hard full throttle runs to wear in new boots, but the best bet is moderate use for the first 1000kms, avoiding any constant foot positions, vary foot positions a lot, and don't make the boots lug. You definitely don't want to bore down the freeway at a constant position in your new boots.
    Repeated heating and cooling cycles is best for break in.
    Don't forget to check lace or fastener lash at 1500kms, and change teh dubbin! :LOL:

Regards, Andrew.
  10. get proper boots. I wore hiking boots for about a week and stopped because they are too slippery. the hard rubber and big lugs are great in the bush but crap on the road when its wet. my cheap bike boots (agvsport) just stick when I put my foot down. just upgraded to sidi's. :grin:
  11. As said above, make sure the rubber is not slippery in the wet.
    I've been caught out a few times putting my foot into a puddle when coming to a rest - nearly lose the bike!

Laces WILL get caught. I accidentally catch mine all the time on my bike, I quickly learnt to tuck them in.