Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First oil change

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by blaringmike, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Hi all,

Having just bought a my first bike, a CBR250RR I'm about to do a full fluids change. According to the owners manual 20W-50 oil is what I should use.

Can I use car oil in my bike or do I have to buy oil made specifically for bikes? I have some Valvoline XLD Premium SAE 20W-50 car oil at my place, would this be ok to use on the bike?

Also one of my mates said he only uses synethetic oil in his bike. What benefits does this have over regular engine oil?

I dont know alot about mechenics but i'm trying to learn so i can do everything mechanical on my bike so any advice would be appreciated.

2. You have to use oil specifically for bikes. Do not use car oil!! From what I know 1 of the reasons you can not use car oil is due to motorbikes have a wet clutch and car oil will cause it to slip. Other then that you can get oil from a local motorbike shop.

Someone else should be able answer your other questions
  3. Here we go with another oil thread :? .

Does the manual also include an API specification like SG, SH, SJ or SL ? If so, compare it with the spec on the Valvoline can (probably SJ or SL if memory serves) and if they match or the can spec is higher, you're good to go.

I always used XLD Premium in my old K100 and it's unworn and sparkly clean internally after 250,000 kms. Mind you, it doesn't have a 2,000,000 rpm red line like the CBR :p . Used good quality car oil in all my Jap bikes too and never had a problem.

Bikes like their oil clean, and the right viscosity and temperature. I've seen lots of engines die from neglected oil/filter changes, use of excessively high viscosity oil and from being regularly thrashed from cold or after a long lay up.

I've never seen one go prematurely from the use of $20 a gallon car oil instead of $50 a gallon bike stuff. As long as it's changed regularly and is the right viscosity and API spec. And as long as the bike's warmed up before giving it stick.

Can't comment on synthetics as I've never used 'em. They're supposed to let you extend the oil change intervals, but having owned 70s and early 80s Jap bikes for years, I'd rather remove my own genitalia with a rusty hacksaw than leave oil changes longer than 3-4000 km, even on a modern engine.