Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First off!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Dannyboy, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Went for a ride with Dougz yesterday to work on my cornering techniques around Mt Dandenong. There's a kinda a story with this one as a few things happened along the way...

Left Dougz place around 10ish and made our way over to Dandenong via Kew Boulevard and the Boulevard in Ivanhoe. Had a blast through Kew Bvd, started to really lean the bike in the turns and tried my hardest to keep up. Actually scrapped a toe on one of the corners, but didn't freak out, just realised I was leaning much further than I ever have before!) Figured I got off to a good start and really began relaxing on the bike as I started to understand how the tyres worked and that little moments of losing grip are not so bad as long as you're not carrying too much lean when it happens.

Eventually went on our way down the freeway over to Dandenong road when things got interesting. We decided (well Dougz decided, I just followed suit; first mistake by not riding my own ride) to stop at an intersection and I ended up locking the rear (as I have a habit of doing) and Dougz gets front row seats to my sideways stop at the lights just on the ped crossing :shock: don't know how, but kept upright and dragged my sorry butt back behind the line... we should have known my luck ran out at that point! We pulled over, Dougz gave me a chat and stressed (in the nicest way possible :p) not to use the rear brake when stopping. Lesson learned and we're back on our way.

Cruising up the road to Mt Dandenong gave me a good opportunity to practice cornering and body position; leaning over the inside of the bike while keeping the whole thing upright to maintain enough grip. Right turns doing okay, left ones needed a little more effort to lean over the bike.

After stopping for lunch we made our way over the Mt and a quick U-turn to head back when everything goes pear-shaped. Entering a 35-40kph left-hand hairpin, I (think) leaned the bike over too far, instead of leaning myself over the bike to keep up the grip levels, tightened up my line through the corner to make the most of the road and straighten out the exit (as there was no other car around me at the time), wound on the throttle in 2nd gear, and suddenly found myself sliding up the road for a few metres! All I remember is the sudden drop and seeing sparks when I was sliding :shock: Dougz again gets the best view of all looking in his mirror to see my bike and me with arms in the air spinning up the road! :LOL:

Bike damage: Bent gear lever due to the slide, and slightly bent handlebars. My damage: Rain pants torn, jeans slightly scraped on the denim but the kevlar underneath was unmarked, left knee's borne the brunt of the bike falling over (must've hit the frame), and shoulder sore where the rest of my weight hit the ground. Oh yeah, and pride a little dented, but hey, that's what the L's for, it's all a learning experience. No broken bones thankfully!

After inspecting the damage on the bike a very impressed (by the minimal damage) Dougz called Stewy around to help put the gear lever back in place with a rubber mallet. Once that was done, I very gingerly rode back to Stewy's place where his hospitality extended to a cup of coffee and a big bar to straighten out the handlebars! Then the topic switched to the state of my rear suspension which was decidedly very springy according to Dougz and Stewy and may be subject of a spanner night if we can figure out how to adjust the bloody thing!

So, after bidding farewell to Stewy, we made our way back down the Monash back to town where I continued back home onto Deadend (Woodend) to finish my day with a cherry on top! Picked up by HP doing $1.25 in a $1.10 zone... and to make matters worse, I made him follow me for a few k's because he never had his front emergency lights on. I kept looking back in my mirror to see what this black commodore was doing tailgating me! Until I realised the driver looked a lot like a policeman with the fluro yellow hi-vis vest on :evil:
    So much for getting home out of the wind, rain and cold...

Anyways, there's my adventure for yesterday. A few important lessons as a result...
    1. Tram lines are very slick in the wet...
    2. Expansion joints on bridges are very slick in the wet...
    3. A loss of grip on a bike may well be a normal occurance as long as you're not carrying too much lean (might need somebody's educated opinion on this!)
    4. Don't lock up the rear brake by relying on it to stop as much as the front will :p
    5. Don't lean the bike in the wet too far! Lean yourself over the bike instead
    6. Try not to wind the throttle on early in the wet exiting a hairpin
    7. Don't speed on a long-weekend blitz trying to escape the wind and cold....

A big thanks to Dougz for sticking with me and getting the chaos under control when my bike decided to meet the road. A massive thanks for Stewy for providing the hammer, big leverage bar, hot coffee and a comfy couch! Who needs the kindness of strangers when you got Netrider members! :grin:
  2. np mates, glad to hear you got home although sounds like it was a expensive day out for you.

Hope you weren't to sore today and btw it's stewy not stewey :wink:
  3. Legs hurts a little from where the bike hit, but main issue is the shoulder, it's really sore when I move it, must've been where I hit the ground, or pulled it holding onto the bike
  4. Sorry to hear about your off - glad that you're relatively intact.

May I ask what the specific damage to the VTR250 was?
  5. sweet F.A, :shock:

slightly bent bars, scratched bar end, and slightly bent gear selector, don't think the mirror ever had a scratch on it, no damage to tank either.....farking lucky i say
  6. Thanks Stewy.

I've personally never seen a VTR250 with more than a slightly-scratched ducktail from a crash ($150 for a new ducktail) and bent levers, which is why I usually say "Don't bother" when people ask if they should get oggy knobs for a VTR.

Great design, they are. :)
  7. Hang on, you said you are on your L's, isnt the speed limit on L's 80kmh??? and you got done doing 125kph, thats a loss of licence isnt it?
  8. Couple of things to add here.

Firstly, Glad you're OK Dan. You might want to get that shoulder checked out if it's still sore tomorrow. Remember that Matt was slightly sore too and his collarbone turned out to be broken :shock:

Secondly; Stewy, you're a champ :cool: Thanks for helping out mate. I owe you beers and food. Come round anytime :wink:

Finally - I was going to clarify these things for you on the phone Dan, but after reading your (excellent) ride report I feel it might be beneficial to others to put it here.

That's not quite what I said :) . What I said was you should use the front brake for the majority of your stopping power and not to rely on the rear so much which a lot of learners do (why L's seem to do this, I simply don't know :? ). Your rear brake will stabilise the bike as you come to an emergency stop and will slow you down more quickly than just using the front or rear by themselves. Remember - Setup and Squeeze - Don't 'grab a handful' or you'll come to grief. Having said that, seeing a bike coming through an intersection sideways in the wet is very entertaining :LOL:

This has me concerned. At the start of our ride I stressed that "it's not a race." If I was going a bit quicker than you're comfortable with you need to tell me. This goes for ANY Learner out on a ride with a mentor. Accidents happen when you're pushing outside your comfort zone. I assumed you were fine as you were having no trouble staying with me at 60kph.

Not quite sure what you mean here as the point of the lesson was to reduce your lean angle by dropping your elbow and getting inside the line of the bike. The problem I noticed you having was that on left handers you were leaning the bike over a good distance and putting your body weight on top of the bike (eg- Dirt style) which was reducing your contact patch and adding more of a risk to you sliding out.

Subsequently, this is what I believed caused your accident. Having the bike at such an extreme lean angle with your weight in the wrong place and winding on the throttle too early caused you to lowside. Also, it was REALLY wet.

Having said all that, up until your off I was impressed with your riding after only 6 weeks on a bike. Just don't get overconfident too quickly and allow yourself time to be a learner. The fun stuff will come in time but you need to be patient. This goes for all new riders :wink:

Not in Victoria.
  9. Not in Vic. No speed restriction.
    Although 125 after a day like that was maybe inviting trouble :eek:
  10. damn i might move to boringtoria and open the gt650r throttle up a bit :)
  11. maybe Victoria should change their laws to NSW style, putting a bloke on a bike that has no idea, hitting speeds of 110kph or over is just asking for trouble..
  12. Could also be argued that going 30kph slower than everyone else is far more dangerous.
  13. I don't want to stray offtopic here, but...
    Having lived in NSW and VIC, having gotten my car license in NSW and having gotten my bike license in VIC... I'm both for and against the speed limitations.

They kind-of make sense - let them learn control at slower speeds first before they graduate to 110kph...

... But suddenly it doesn't seem so smart when an L-plater or P-plater becomes a rolling roadblock on a 2 lane freeway (or worse still, 1 lane highway such as Picton Road), with five, six, ten vehicles bunched up behind them, impatiently trying to get past. And that's when the dangerous overtaking maneuvers into oncoming traffic begin.

The 30kph speed differential causes a lot of problems with other vehicles around, IMHO, and should be addressed. Ban L and P-platers from 100+kph roads altogether, in the same way that 50cc scoots are banned from main roads in QLD? Or ditch the speed restriction? Who knows.
  14. Nice points guys, but lets stay on topic :wink:
  15. i will say though, u gave me a chuckle Dannyboy the way you wrote your story laughing at your own injuries lol, good to see you have a mentor anyway, keep it up. (DON'T SPEED)
  16. THE most important question, dannyboy, since you've disected the whole day pretty well :), is, have you yet had a medical check-up? You may NOT have broken something, but you may have injured yourself anyway. Get thee to a hospital, post-haste!
  17. You assumed right mate, I wasn't "pushing it" pushing-it to catch up, I felt pretty comfortable most of the time. After running off a corner a week after having the bike I reckon my set up speeds for corners are improving.

But thanks for the encouragement, helps get over some of the gremlins in the head after an incident like that. Maybe there's hope for me yet! :LOL:
  18. good to hear you are alright mate

nice story none the less and some good tips! i would have loved to have seen the sideways pull up at the intersection lol :shock:
  19. Saw the doc today, got a clean bill of health. Just a bit of bruising on the knee/leg & hips. Pulled a muscle in my shoulder too!

But he is worried about the thumb I hit during cricket last thursday and is putting me in for an x-ray and ultrasound, just my luck! ](*,)
  20. For a broken thumb??

Hope you don't get the Dr I had when I broke my thumb on my pushy. They decided to put on a cast for 5-6 weeks and in the end, it wasn't necessary.

Good to hear that you've come through without major injury.