Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First off - low speed lowslide

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by MrData, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Howdy y'all,

Had a really minor lowest speed lowslide today; my first stack on the bike. Bike's fine, engine cover, left foot pegs, clutch lever and left bar end scratched to a greater or lesser extent.

Really odd too - around 40km/h left hander, I felt established in the turn (though it happened quickly) then all of a sudden there's a thump and I'm watching the bike slide across the road. It was in an empty industrial park, so no traffic.

I'm ok, gear has taken a small beating and I need your advice. I was wearing boots (sliders scratched, nothing else), Dragging jeans (awesome, only a slight abrasion where the foot peg squished against my boot, nothing from the slide itself), glove pad is abraded through (damnit, n
    ew Held gloves too grrr) and there's a hole in my jacket sleeve. Photos of jacket and gloves attached.

My questions to you:
    1. WTF do you think likely happened? I'm not 100% sure, but either I flicked it in too quick and it let go or I was established too close to the limit of adhesion and hit a slippery patch.
    2. Based on the piccies, do you think I should replace the glove and jacket? My gut says yes because they're both compromised now and will tear if put under pressure.
    3. I've done some hard braking and maneuvers on the way home, bike feels ok. Anything else I should check as a precaution?

Oh and I don't know how guys with cruisers get their bikes back up. Hard enough with a 210kg CBR.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Mr D.

Jacket sleeve

Jacket sleeve 2

Glove 2
  2. Try a set of gloves with palm sliders for yor next pair, I feel like at the low speed you came off at palm sliders would have taken the hit and slide and the gloves would still be serviceable...

I'd go see your GP, let them know what happened and just get a check up.

Damn shame about the jacket sleeves... Glad you're alright. Looking at that hole in the glove I'm bloody glad you were wearing them!
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Both can be patched, but, if that's what they look like after a 40kph low side, I would think of investing in some better gear. I know it's a high range Dri-Rider, but that's pretty poor protection from the sleeve.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Disappointing to see holes in jacket and gloves from a low speed off.
    There's been quite a bit of press about Held gear lately and it all seems very positive.
    Maybe it was just unlucky and a lever or something got glove and sleeve against the road?
  5. Glad you're ok, did you ch co on the road after the spill to see if there was any oil or gravel there? Unusual to lose the front end without any warning.

I would check to make sure your bars are not bent. And that the play in the clutch lever is ok.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Nah it's complete pot luck as to how you slide when you crash to how the gear ends up.

A fabric dry Astars or dainese jacket would have done the exact same thing. It's not leather.

And the held gloves are obviously a touring version. That's what they do, they've done their job replace them or run the risk of more damage next time.

I wouldn't repair the gloves it will make it too bulky on your palm.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. That's it mate, might be a few hundred a set but it's cheaper than having a fcuked hand...
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sorry about your off MrDataMrData — as has been said, get a quick check over by the GP, but glad you're OK.

Regarding the gear: even though the damage is relatively minor, I agree with what's already been said above — if this is what happened at 40 km/hr, I'd feel a bit nervous about what could happen at 80 or 100. The kevlar jeans surprised me too — having enthusiastically tested a pair last year, I didn't get a mark on me from the road... the other car... not so much. :whistle: Ironically, I feel more secure wearing those around town than the textile gear I started out with.

I'd also suggest you look hard for gloves with palm protection, as the reflexive response to falling over is to put your hands out, so your palms are way more likely to be damaged than your knuckles.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Tell me about it bud - I'm not going to preach to anyone about ATGATT, but I'm sure as fark not riding without all of it. This just proves the point to me. Also, the denim I was wearing is brilliant and there is a nice little abrasion where some part of the bike squished against it when I hit the road - glad I had boots under it, because I didn't feel a thing. I suspect I would have if I had been wearing shoes. Not going to see a doc, I've taken enough damage previously to do a thorough enough self-triage - all ok on the body front except for a nasty bruise on the blade of the forearm just before the elbow; again, thank crap for the elbow protector. Regarding the gloves, they do have palm sliders - they're meant to be some kind of crazy low-friction high resistance space-age something... Still, they've done their job.

That's what I thought too, surprised at the level of damage. I know DriRider is not top-end, but stil... Now it makes me think I should just bite the bullet and get Dainese or something. Though another poster said it's because they're fabric.

Clutch appears ok, bars don't appear bent. Rode home (about 12km) and everything feels and looks alright. I did check the road, there didn't appear to be anything on it, which is why I thought maybe I just tried too hard.
  10. Yup, I hear ya DrSleepyDrSleepy. I remember reading your post and watching the vids thinking, thank crap for the gear. I have to say I'm now very seriously rethinking getting another textile jacket - perhaps leather is simply the way to go.

I'm very surprised and I think disappointed with the gloves. They feel great and provide excellent feedback, water and wind proof, etc. But if the palm slider does this after a lowish speed off, not sure if it's worth getting them again. I'm just trying to gauge whether this is the product behaving as advertised and the gloves are brilliant or if it's a surprising amount of damage for something that should keep up better at higher speeds.

Or perhaps I was actually going much faster :)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Isn't where the palm has worn through covered by Held's "Super Fabric"? This is intended as a palm protector / slider.

Surprising how much it's worn after a low speed fall, but, I'd replace them and the jacket if it were me. Otherwise, glad to hear your unharmed, good result, hey.
  12. Indeed mate, that's what I thought. It is the "super fabric", but looking around online, the only thing purportedly better is stingray - and that's another $150 for a pair of gloves. Starting to get dear for me.

I reckon replacement is the way to go. Having a couple of hours to let it sink in, the gear has done its job, my hand and arm are intact. Not a lot to pay for that.
  13. Agreed.

I've never crash tested a pair, but take a peek at Knox's range, they have plastic palm sliders, nicely made gloves too. I've owned both Knox and Held gloves before, the fit is similar.

Just to add an edit; For disclosure, I always end up coming back to Dainese gloves though.. maybe I'm just a brand snob?..
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Thanks Bob, will do. I'm ok to pay a little more for gear, I'm just not familiar with the brands - never heard of Knox, appreciate the pointer.

Does anyone know if there are good leather jackets which are as waterproof as textiles?
  15. very happy to hear you're ok mate!

your gear did what it was supposed to do and that is save you from injury, I don't think any gear made by anyone will give you a guarantee of safety for a second and subsequent off so don't be too disappointed. I know the expense is fairly daunting and gear is like insurance, you don't ever expect that you'll have to 'use' it but when you do you pray that it works.

see if you can get leather repair work done, otherwise hit the shops. try to avoid cheaper gear as you get what you pay for. cheap gear is exactly that so expect to spend a bit more to give yourself every opportunity of the best possible chance of limiting any harm to you. invest in leather if you can afford it.

stay safe man!
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Glad you're ok mate
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. mostly leather is not waterproof but it depends on how heavy the rain is and how long you're stuck in it. you can get thin rain overjackets to put on top of your leathers, these will make you sweat like you're in a sauna suit so you'll probably end up just as wet lol. maybe a dririder for wet weather use and you could wear armour and/or leather vest/kevlar undershirt.

leather should receive regular applications of leather treatment but not so much it becomes a chore, a few times a year should be enough.
  18. Thanks!

I ride rain or shine but do have the option to work from home if it becomes horrid. Rode with that DriRider jacket through all of the Melbourne weather this winter. Would love a nice leather jacket and am happy to spend the money, just concerned about the waterproofness (if such a word were to exist).

Thanks for the info.
  19. I've had a 60 km off that wore through spidi top of the range gloves that cost $200 ,I've had 60 km crash that has worn through although not as bad rjays $110 gloves and I've had a 200km and 180km crash in a pair of held sting rays leather gloves.

I'm still wearing them........same pair.

It's completely how you crash and what you push down on. How you slide, the gloves taking that much pressure may have been the reason your jeans hardly wore.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Food for thought; I think the takeaway is, the gear did its job :)

So you clearly rate the gloves then? I did look at the Titanium or Phantom ones before opting for the Race-Tex because they're waterproof. But perhaps $450 ain't so bad for a pair of gloves if they do the job and can still be worn.
    • Agree Agree x 1