Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First Off in 15 Years

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by PatB, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Well, I suppose the odds have been getting shorter and shorter as my exposure has risen, but it still hurt.

Heading home from work yesterday, I was climbing Greenmount Hill (for those that don't know Perth, Greenmount's a long, quite bendy, 10% or so grade dual carriageway, 80 limited and infested with very slow trucks and Perth drivers) when, about two thirds of the way up, I noticed a truck broken down in the LH lane. Traffic was pulling into the RH lane and so the RH lane (where I was) slowed rapidly. No biggie, it's common enough on this stretch so i was ready for it and braked firmly (but by no means to emergency stop standards) on the mildly greasy but mainly dry road.

Suddenly there's a tremendous bang and I'm rocketed onto the pillion seat with the top box in my kidneys and the bike's just going wild. From that point on, with hands wrenched from the bars and attempting to steer with my ankles I was a passenger at ~60-70 km/h. Couldn't work out what had happened for a while, as I was pretty certain I hadn't hit the car in front. Figured out I'd been shunted hard round about the time the bike fell over and our ways parted. I slid for what felt like a hell of a long way feet first on my right side, screaming Ohfckohfckohfckohfck to pass the time. After what felt like a few hundred metres on the road, I hopped up the (fortunately quite slopey) kerb and tried the dirt of the median strip for a bit of a change, finally coming to rest under the bushes that reside there.

Tried to get up, then got various messages from outlying parts that staying where I was would be a good idea so I had a nice relax whilst helpful passersby called the emergency services and the driver of the ute that hit me had a quiet case of hysterics.

By the time the ambulance arrived, the pain signals had eased a bit and I let the paramedics ease me onto my feet, so I continued my unblemished record of walking, or, at least, limping away from my stacks.

An evening in A & E being checked over, (minor) gravel rash cleaned up, achey bits x-rayed etc culminated in being allowed home at about 10pm.

The wash up:-

Aches, bruising and a couple of patches of gravel rash. One on my right calf where my Draggins rode up (inevitable when sliding feet first in straight cut trousers I suspect) and a smaller one on my right hip where the side seam wore away, although hip armour and a (now very flat) spectacle case kept the worst out. I'm basically intact and OK though. Even made it in to work today although that's mainly because I just changed jobs and haven't accumulated any sick leave yet.

Bike is fairly comprehensively stuffed. The long slide did only superficial (though extensive) damage. The big, smooth fairing acted as a toboggan. Even the rocker covers survived with only a bit of filing and no holes. However the initial hit was sufficiently hard to bend the back wheel, so goodness knows what it's done to all the joints and linkages in the paralever system. Currently being assessed for the insurers.

My gear all stood up pretty well, considering I slid about 50m or so, over both bitumen and rough, rocky WA dirt, with a kerb jump thrown in. Lid has no witness marks indicating even a light touchdown. Gloves (my old, No-Namo winteries from the UK) OK with a small hole in the right palm that didn't reach skin. Credit where it's due, I've been rather rude about my DriRider jacket, but apart from missing one popper from the right pocket, it's unmarked and I could feel the elbow armour doing its job during the slide. Draggin chinos are trashed. Probably repairable but they'll never be white-collar wear again. They did their job with the minor exceptions mentioned above. I will be buying a replacement pair and you can't say fairer than that. My lace-up Steel Blues in breast cancer research appeal purple are fine, as are the feet which they contained. Again, I could feel the right one scraping all the way through the slide, but subsequent examination shows only mildly abraded leather with no sign of sole separation or seam failure. They protected me when going up a kerb feet first too, so I feel I have some further evidence to indicate that work boots will provide adequate protection for general riding duties as long as they're decent ones.

Funnily enough, I don't feel any particular animosity to the guy who hit me. Just Mr Average whose lapse of attention on his way home will be giving him nightmares for a while, along with possible neg driving consequences. No point getting all vengeful and post traumatic on him. I'll let the legal process and the insurers take their course there.

Now it's just a question of the paperwork and the inconvenience of being bikeless (and no, I can't use the Ural, for reasons that I won't be revealing just yet). Mind you, there's the upside of shortly being able to go bike shopping again with cash in my pocket :grin: .

2. Glad to hear you're intact, Pat! Bet it caused a bit of a shock. o.o;
  3. +1, just as well you're okay. And onya for the animosity expressed; sometimes, these things just happen. Just be glad that you came out walking, and the other driver had the decency to not do a runner and accept what they had done.
  4. Scary incident, but it's great to hear you walked away. Can't ask for more than that.

Thank you for taking the time to write it up, it was insightful.

For what it's worth, the K1300S, K1300R and K1300GT are being announced in four or five days time at Intermot. :)
  5. Cash in pocket, yes. K1300 cash in pocket, no. If I go BM again (quite likely) something like a tree or four year old F650CS might be on the cards though.

I take the view that if everybody walks away, it ain't that bad. I liked the R11 and will mightily mourn its passing (assuming write off status), but I'll get over it.

Main lessons are:-

Gear is good.

Watch those mirrors (although, in hindsight, I'm not convinced any of my possible escape options would have ended any better than the stack did).
  6. On the whole, it's good to hear ur ok, PatB. You've shown tremendous self control towards the driver that "reared" you. [/quote]
  7. Sorry to say mate, but I laughed my ass off reading that. Really really well written! :)

Glad to hear you ended up ok! And great attitude towards the driver, I reckon you are right about the nightmares.
  8. Great write-up and even better that you're ok.

Good report on the gear - I'm in the process of looking to get the Draggin's Cino's myself.

Good luck with replacing the bike.

9. Excellent crash review, you should do this more often!
  10. glad to hear ur ok mate
  11. I'll pass the hat around to see if we cant get you an airbag jacket for Loz's suggested new career path as Netrider "Crash reviewer"

Glad your ok PatB, I would of been asking for new undies before the ambos stood me up.
  12. When it comes to crash revues yours is right up there.
    Just don't let us read another one.
    Glad to see you are safe and well and it's true the driver would be feeling like crap and apart from paying for your damage he has to suffer mentally.
  13. Shunted from behind :tantrum:

Glad you've walked away mate. Don't do it again!... the crashing, not the walking away bit. :)
  14. Pat, good outcome considering what couldve happened. Hey, try the new 800 GS before you buy another bike. It rocks! :grin:
  15. Hi Pat.

That sounds like quite a no-wheeled journey you took with quite a balanced outlook considering how easy it would be to get awfully cranky.

Stories like this reinforce why it's important NEVER to think "I'm ok and don't need gear".
  16. Sorry to hear Pat, so glad you're ok though.
    I gotta admit mate, that was the best written first-hand account of any motorcycle accident I have EVER read. :p
    Hope you're back on 2 wheels soon with little stress.
  17. :LOL:

Glad you're ok! Enjoy shopping!
  18. Awesome crash! Always better when someone else's insurance company is going to pay for the damages/new bike! Glad you shined up alright.
  19. Glad you're ok Pat, here's hoping the insurance & legal stuff all goes smoothly.
  20. :shock:

good writeup that.

i've been thinking twice about my dririder nordic, but that's good to hear yours did the job.

regarding your feelings to the driver, could this be the motorcycle accident equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome?