Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First off, and insurance claim

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by norm79, Nov 22, 2006.

1. I stupidly used hand brake when turning right into Pitt Water Rd from Epping road last week, resulting a low speed drop. Thanks to the Nodic boots that saved my left foot. The insurance inspecter told me the bad news today that my bike was a total lost. It seems like CB250 is made out of plastic. A low speed drop could cause so much damage. I bought it brand new early this year (2005 model) and only done less than 6000km so far.

I have a full cover insurance for it. Anyone went through the claim process in the similar case with SAWNN before? I found they are quite helpfull and efficient so far. But I do not know what it meant for "total lost". Are they going to pay me money for the insured amount, or they buy me a new one? (Honda is not selling CB250 any more), or any other options I will be asked to take? Thanks in advance.
  2. They should give you a cheque for the agreed [or whatever's on the contract] value of the bike [and your gear, I think SWAN look after your gear as well] less whatever the excess is.

How fast were you going?

Pretty hard to write-off a naked dropping it on a corner :shock:
  3. I was going at about 30km per hour. There have been road work on that area so the road was slipery. My jacky and helmet are ok, but the boots, gloves and the ventura bag are stuff. Yes Swann covered all those gears. It I am getting the cheque for the agreed amount, that is good which means I can make other choose. Thanks.
  4. No problem.

I'm still amazed you wrote it off... do you have a picture of the bike after the accident?
  5. :WStupid: Sorry Ktulu, I too am curious.
  6. Yeah thats interesting.

Obviously i dont know the situation but it could be possible that the assessor didnt know what he was talking about and described it as a total loss when it possibly could have been repaired. Or perhaps they were having a crack down on it and just wanted to cut their losses and give you your money.

Another possibility (and this happened to me with a car claim) is that the assessor approves the claim but then gets back to the office and sees how little the bike is insured for and decides to just write it off. Just speculating obviously.
  7. I did not take the picture. There were two dents on the fuel tank, some scratches on the left hand side body. left indicator, left mirror were damaged. Left bar was a bit bent. I am sure there are other things the repairer has found out. The accessor told me that he found a problem on the frame as well. I guess one reason is that CB250 did not worth too much even when it was brand new. Thanks.
  8. As soon as the frame is damaged aren't most bikes considered write offs?
  9. Maybe the assesor has a friend who wants to buy a repairable write off?

Lucky your gear is covered! I thought my swann policy was only the helmet.
  10. Also a write off has two parts to it. If they can sell the bike with the difference of the cost of the payout being less than the cost of repair then they concsider it a write off. So maybe the bike was salvagable, but the cost of repair wasn't worth it.

Still norm79 if they aren't making the CB 250 any more what are you going to look at getting???
  11. I donot think the assessor gets any benefit of it. I spoke to him a couple of times and find him just like other guys working in the motorcyle industry - direct and easy to deal with when you know what you are talking about.

I am driving to work these days and you can imagine how envy I am when seeing other bikies passing by. I cannot wait to go back to it. The CB250 serves my purpose perfectly as I am only using it on daily commuting. If I have chooses, I will still pick up something simple, reliable as CB250 but hope the rear brake can be more efficient.
  12. Make sure not to be scared of the front-brake after this!

The front-brake is where over 70% of your stopping power comes from, and it's very important to be using this instead of your rear-brake when stopping in a straight line.

If you're not sure on this, or are uncomfortable using the front-brake now, you should REALLY do the rider training course [again] or try a new one, 'cause they should have taught you that.

Front-brake is great... unless your bars are turned :)
    And don't worry, we have ALL dropped a bike at low speed and it's a common mistake to grab front-brake when the bars are turned and go down.

... not usually quite as spectacularly as your's sounds, but I daresay you have a much more awesome story to tell at the next ride meet :grin:
  13. My case is finally settled. I received my refund cheque before Xmas. It covered the insured amount minors the exess. Unfortunately, the gears are not covered. I generally am happy with the claim process with Swann. About the gear, I was told they were not covered when I bought the insurance but now their new insurance policy has included them.

My next big task is to find a replacement bike. I am unrestricted but still not in a mode to upgrade to a bigger sports bike. Considering that I lost my no claim bonus, may not be buying a new bike so I can do only 2rd party.