Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First night ride through the twisties

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by ralph, Apr 9, 2009.

1. I ride mainly on weekends, sat and sunday morning. I have a fairly regular run I take, out towards dural to wisemans then down pitt town rd and back home.

So tonight was my first time doing this at night. To give people perspective who dont know the area old northern rd and pitt town bascially 80-90km/h roads with no street ride, riding through bush area.

What did i learn. Good thing thing i knew the area, cause damn it would have been a whole lot harder if i didnt know the roads. High beam is gold. But when you gotta turn it off for on coming cars, that sucks ass, takes the eyes a few secs to adjust, and i find it hard picking up the centre lines.

Cornering is a bit tougher, not being able to see exits and also found it tougher trying to judge the line of the corner, if i had a car on coming, i would often find myself drifting towards the inside line and slowing right down.

Is night riding through the twisties a tough ride? How do others approach these rides? in particular, how do set your line with the corners? Especially with the lights of the cars coming the other way.

2. good to see your out there having a go, only way to boost your confidence
  3. Yes! Especially on really tight corners where your headlights don't paint the whole corner, only the trees on the outside of the corner.

Frankly, I play it extra cautious. Riding slower, looking for hints on where the road is going. If I can't judge the corner, I slow down to a speed that gives me enough reaction time that I can take action if there's an obstacle or a surprise corner.

When cars come the other way, I just dip my highbeam til they pass. Their headlights usually help paint the corners anyway.

But yeah, it's hard. Bike headlights aren't particularly wide-beam and when the bike's leaned over they don't point toward the exit of the turn. Auxiliary driving lights might help perhaps.
  4. A mix of auxiliary lights is good. Even say 4 x 10W LEDs. 2 'spot' and 2 'flood' fills in the field so the light is even. The round throw of a 10W LED means much of the light is pointing up when riding straight ahead, but tip over in a corner and the light now points toward the apex.
  5. #5 waedwe, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
    When riding at night in the twisties, it is wiser to take it easier, the reduced visibilty is one factor, our suicidal wildlife is another.

Just keep going out, taking it within your limits, and like any riding you will improve over time.

What the, just saw the dates of the original post, thread revival has dragged me in
  6. :ROFLMAO: :LOL: thread revival lives...

I do agree with Auxiliary lights, but how about if you ride a faired road bike, where and how do you place the aux lights?

Another Q, if you have a faired road bike, are you fitting it with aux lights?
  7. BOB88R, I'll post a couple of pics of my faired bikes with auxiliary lights in a day or so.
    I'm a new member and the forum rules prevent me posting links..:(

There are several ways of mounting the lights.

8. @OX-34, that will be great. I have a wide beam aux lights for months now and thinking of mounting it on the front fork, but can't find a mounting clamp that fits. Also, thought of mounting it on the front caliper bolts, but can't find a longer bolts.

Hope you can help me in this. I was planning to have it installed for last Winter nights.
  9. BOB88R, here's the pics:

My Iron Butt Rally FJR - has Clearwater Kristas on mirror mounts and Glendas on the forks. The fork ones aid in drivers seeing you, but don't project much and are inefficient in the bends. Aux lights work better the higher you mount them. Always consult your local authorities blah blah..

My training FJR. Big HIDs plus 4 X 10W Twisted Throttle LEDs

A little YZF-R15 has almost no spare electrical power, but handled a pair of 10W LEDs just fine. They made an enormous difference

My Blackbird with a bunch of lights:

10. Its much easier on a naked..............

• Like Like x 1
  11. That's awesome lights setup, mate. How did you mount the lights in YZF-R15 and the Glenda's on the fork?
  12. Man that's scary :eek:

R-15 on the far side looks like a piece of 25mm square tube held on by longer bolts for the mirror mounts through the fairing. The R-15 needs it and there isn't much spare power, with both low beam globes hooked up at idle the poor little magneto (!) only manages 11.6V.

13. Good eyes Al_Cam. That's exactly how they are mounted on the R15.

Plus the finesse move: chair leg insert bungs to make it look all classy.

On the R15 I opted to replace the stock 5W tail light and the 2x 5W front marker lights with LEDs. That freed up 12W, to pay for the spark of at least 1 of the LED spots. Running a voltmeter while riding is best. Just in case.

The Clearwater Glendas came with 6mm bolts, so they fit directly onto many bikes forks very easily. Making brackets for the ones you have may just require a couple of holes in some scrap aluminium.

The stock light out put for the Tenere is about 2,000 lumens like most twin headlight large bikes. My set up has a nominal 20,000 lumen output. :shock: