Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Featured First Month Accomplished

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Wraith, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Hello Everyone,

I would like to announce I have made it through my first month riding safe and sound.

With the help of some veteran riders, YouTube road craft series, plenty of reading and of course lurking :sneaky: these very forums for tips and advice. I have managed to make it through with no falls, bumps or drops to record. Just like most things in life theory can only do so much. So when it was time to hit the road I wanted as much knowledge as I could possibly fill my head with.

I set a goal of 3,000klm's within my first month to gain as much road time as possible. Technically I have until the 17th (Monday) to achieve this, as I am currently sitting at 2,802klm's. I will be able to do this comfortably over the weekend. The next theory lessons will be bike maintenance and service.

When I first collected the bike I had to ride it 1.5 hours from Gatton to Redcliffe. This was a nerve racking experience. Not so much the riding however, it was more to do with other road users. I discovered quickly (thankfully) just how unobservant some people can be when it comes to spotting bikes. I had "learned all about it" with my self imposed theory lessons but nothing quiet spells it out, like a car pulling out in front of you on your very first solo ride. From that moment on I knew I had to truly pay attention to EVERYTHING.

Undeterred, I felt it was best just to barney-stinson-meme-generator-keep-calm-and-suit-up-d47dc3. So I did. That same evening I went for a ride into the city and through South Bank and along Kingsford Smith Drive then up the high way back home to Redcliffe.

After this experience I noticed a few flaws right away. During the day I had a tendency to look down far to frequently at the road surface, then I would tense up and not go with the flow of the bike. After a few night rides I realized my riding was a lot smoother. This was due to me not concentrating on the road surface to much (as I couldn't see it until it would be to late anyway) but my focus more on the next turn ahead. This made my riding smoother. Another very valuable lesson I learned very early on.

Fast forward to the tag along ride hosted by Colonel ColemanColonel Coleman who I met for the first time along with 4 other very cool people ValvolineValvoline CaffeineMonsterCaffeineMonster CormanusCormanus and of course future mad scientist Lily. I had such a great introduction to the twisties with these guys. There was no ego just fun and tips. The crew went at the least experienced riders pace. Mine! Knowing I was in no rush or that there was any pressure on me to do anything out of my comfort zone left me free to learn on the ride. I watched everyone else pull away both up and down the mountain. Not just by shear speed, but by riding much, much smoother. I learned a great deal in those turns that day and I and very grateful and blessed to have met such great and helpful people on that ride.

I have a tonne more stories to share how ever for this post I best leave it here. I could keep typing and share more of my experience but I want to leave some of the paint on my key board for next time so I can read the keys.

New rider to new riders. Go at your own pace. Trying the things you find hard all the time. Do not avoid them, challenge yourself and you will learn through the little mistakes instead of the big ones. I myself struggled with slow speed round abouts. Though through listening to some solid tips I am now much smoother and stable going around now. I also encourage you to come along to some riding events held by Colonel ColemanColonel Coleman and ValvolineValvoline. There is much to learn and so much coffee to sink!

See you on the road

• Like Like x 14
    • Winner Winner x 7
  2. Well done WraithWraith. Excellent milestone. Here's to many more happy km's to come.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thanks katekate I look forward to many more.
  4. Congrats and thanks for sharing your experiences so far.

Once you're hooked it becomes an addiction. Many happy times ahead enjoying your new-found passion :emoji_motorcycle:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Good job mate!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. You are not wrong mate. It most certainly does become an addiction.
  7. Great write up WraithWraith. Keeping you alive and inspiring you to be a better rider is all part of the service. You were already doing pretty well when You found us :) looking forward to seeing how much you have come along at the end of the month.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. great write up :)

here's to many more fun safe enjoyable trips :)
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Thankyou Colonel ColemanColonel Coleman I very much look forward to the next ride with you all. The thought of the track is creeping into my head and you are the man I'll be seeing when the time comes to have a go.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Track days for newbies...hmmm....actually a great idea, I think.

I think that they can give you a lot of confidence in your bike that you will struggle to get riding around the roads, and much more quickly. Its a bit like driving ranges for golfers, you can hit the same shot time after time and just tweak this and that to see what happens. On the track you get get to practice line and speed around corners, see how fast your bike will actually go and (the biggest revelation for me) how quickly you can slow it down without falling off all in a safe environment ( well as safe as riding a bike at speed can be). Some bikes are better than others but modern brakes on bikes are generally fantastic. It's great to know you can do that.

So good luck on your first track day!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. "Go at your own pace." Wise words to all riders, not just newbies.

Excellent write up, WraithWraith. Looking forward to keeping up with you again sometime.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. great work WraithWraith on getting through your first month and picking up some vital skills in the process.

you are totally correct about the difference between theory and practical when it comes to riding as all the text in the world won't encourage you to keep out of blind spots like that first sphincter puckering moments when you find you're in your lane positioned next to the back quarter panel of a people-mover that hits the blinker and just moves straight into your lane, lol.

you're doing some big kays there too so it looks like the bug has bitten you hard, love it! please post up more of your learnings and experiences when you have time.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Aaah yes the slow speed roundabouts. As a fellow new learner I hear ya brotha
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Good on ya Wraith. We all feel it, and we all grow. Nice to share the journey with you :)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Thank you for the support everyone!

chilliman64chilliman64 haha nice one.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Wow, that's a soild first month! Top effort!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Hey WraithWraith I didn't realize you were so new to riding mate, it really didn't show yesterday on the ride
    ValvolineValvoline definitely wasn't leading at what I would call newbie speed and we were all right there with her so I reckon if you've only had a month or so experience and can ride those roads at that pace you're gonna be an excellent rider with a few more kays under your belt.
    I'm looking forward to next time I ride with you mate.
    Well written post btw and some valuable insights and tips for newer riders in there.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Hi NotrossiNotrossi I have previous experience on dirt bikes as a teenager, so I had the basics of clutch and throttle. I think this helped with speeding up the learning process. Road bikes how ever were a completely different beast to me. That's why I learned as much as possible about road craft and as much time on the bike as I could get as soon as I could get it.

The reason why I had a lot more confidence yesterday was due to the tips form all of the above mentioned riders. Each one of them could see what I was doing wrong and what I was doing right. That was extremely valuable information for me as I would never have been able to learn that on my own for a long time. It basically helped me skip a lot of trial and error. Something I didn't want to do.

Thank you for the kind words as well. I look forward to riding with you next time too. I want to put my chicken wings to use. ValvolineValvoline
    • Like Like x 3
  19. Heheheh NotrossiNotrossi ;-) I had ridden with WraithWraith before and that was enough for me to know he'd be just like a duck to water on the ride. He's gonna go far (pardon the pun).

Heck yeah! ONE MONTH and already doing complex rides :D how awesome is that!? :)
    Hi 5 with a fist pump dude!
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1