Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

First "moment" on the bike

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Dannyboy, May 3, 2008.

1. Well, second week on the bike and was cruising around on my way back home after a really good ride and went too fast into a corner I thought I could take at 60-65, got to the corner and realised I was going too fast; so I locked up the back trying to slow down (didn't touch the front because I was worried about washing out while trying to turn). :shock:
    Fortunately, I had area to run off to at the bend, so took that instead of tipping in and trying to make the turn... came out okay, didn't fall or anything (luckily), paused for a min to compose myself, did a U-ey and redid the corner properly! :p

Weirdest feeling though, felt like the back end was on ball bearings... in hindsight, I should have grabbed the fronts and pulled up, but I wasn't 100% sure what was behind me.

While I know it's not as major as what others have been through, it sure makes you pucker up something like that happens. I know it won't be the last mistake I make, but I can only hope I get off as easily in the future...

2. :shock:
    i wouldnt!
  3. Next time countersteer and tip in more, you'll be surprised how much grip your tyres have - but this only comes with experience :)

If you ever feel like you simply can't make it and HAVE to pull up, stand the bike up and e-brake.
  4. there you go dooogz, i added a little detail.
  5. :LOL: Giggedy
  6. Ok, so I'm a bit confused now. Say you have entered a corner too fast, besides using my time machine and going back again, whats your best option? I know you could squeez the back brake a bit, but not too much because you risk sliding out. Can't scrub speed off using the front, because I can hear my riding instuctor screaming "Don't use your front brake unless your bike is upright, and then HEADCHECK!!!" So my best choice is to countersteer some more?

In my pre learner course they didnt mention counter steering. Can someone please explain what it is? Iv'e ridden push bikes for years so maybe its something I already know. Any help would be great!
  7. in short, in that situation you should ( only IMO) drop your inside shoulder, mentally commit to making the turn, lean harder by applying a little extra (not too much) pressure forwards to the inside bar and try your best not to make any sudden changes in velocity.
    so, going around a right hander, to tighten your line/lean more you push the right handlebar forwards, a left is the opposite.
    there are a gazillion threads here where raven, robsalvv, jd, and many other technically minded people who dont have anything better to do at work ( :p ) have spent copious amounts of their time discussing the finer points of countersteering. search for them :)
    your bike will go around a corner much faster than you give it credit for.
  8. .. but to reinforce what joel is saying, in this situation, if you are going to brake at all, the rear might help, but the fronts will stand the bike up and take you even wider.
  9. If you have ridden a pushy then Counter Steering is probably something you already do instinctively. There is an article in the article section and as Joel has said numerous threads on the subject.
  10. I read the advice on this forum when I first got the bike and it got me out of sh*t last week.
    I was being tailgated in the rain through a twisty downhill section by some asshole and kept looking at this prick in my mirrors - should've just kept looking ahead.
    Came to a tight left hander which turned out to be much tighter than I anticipated and I was worried about braking too hard in the rain so basically took it fast but countersteered hard and kept the throttle on.
    My brain was telling me to get off the throttle but I forced myself to keep it on and even in the rain the bike swept through the corner with no problems.
    2 lessons - keep your mind on the ride and the countersteering/on throttle business works, even in a wet downhill hairpin. [-o<
  11. if you braked with the front mid corner, it would have brought the bike up for you. but you would be headed in a straight line then.... but you were already :)
  12. Correct...but very carefully...

WHAT!!!?????...What he negelected to mention was that they teach you that bearing in mind your limited skill levels. It is NOT something to carry with you as you get more experience...You CAN use your front brake!...but like your rear brake, you need to be careful and just squeeeeze it lightly. The bike will naturally want to stand up, but you apply pressure to the inside bar to counteract that...
    Headcheck!!!??...you don't headcheck, you LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO...
    And yes...you countersteer to get yourself through the corner. Along with dropping your elbow/shoulder etc...just as Joel correctly explained.

Counter-steering is simple...if you want to turn left, then push on the left bar/clip-on...turn right...push on the right bar/clip-on...That's all there is to it...The judgement of how much and when comes down to experience and practice. But it is something you should be practicing from the beginning.

Note...having said all that, it is quite possible that you really, really, really botched the corner, and your only recourse was to stand the bike up and emergency brake...To do that, of course, you emergency brake with the fronts (along with a little rear), and hope that you can stop in time before you go off the road (in a right hander). (at least you might be able to reduce speed enough, to minimize damage and injury)
    If it happens on a left hander, then you also need to say a prayer and hope that there is nothing coming the other way or at the very least, it is going to be very painful - potentially deadly. :shock:

In your case, you made a snap decision based on your judgement of the situation at the time, and you ended up making it ok (well done)...the problem lies in the following question...and with hind-sight...

....could you have made it around the corner if you had just leaned in, dragged a little brake, counter-steered, and looked where you wanted to go....trusting in the bikes abilitiy to get you through ??...If the answer is yes, then you allowed your SR's (survival reactions) to override your mind, and you made it more on good luck...If the answer is honestly "No", then you made the right choice, and screwed things up earlier when you did'nt judge your corner speed correctly.

These are the questions that only you can answer in the privacy of your own mind...
    It's something all smart riders do. :wink:

13. Thanks for all the feedback guys, greatly appreciate the advice from people with few more years experience and who have made mistakes before.

In response to your comment raven, my SRs did override my mind and I pulled up purely because I didn't trust the cornering ability of the bike. It's funny how the mind works, because I was doing full u-turns on round-a-bouts with more lean and speed (and that's tighter than this bend i locked up on), so I'm a bit frustrated with myself about this...
  14. Don't swet it too much...put it down to experience. Messing up is something that happens to everyone...long as you can learn from it...that's the main thing.
    I am thinking now, that maybe your mind was'nt in the right place as you approached the corner, and you got caught out?...It is one of the possibilities in a scenario such as yours. I know from own personal experience, how it can happen. :) But it's just a thought to help your self-analysis.

It was good of you to post it up here on NR....Others still putting their road-craft together should be taking note, since it is a fairly common event in Motorcycling, generally.

15. I had my first close call yesterday morning on the way too work. Been expecting it for a while because so far i haven't really had anything that interesting to report.

I was travelling into the city on the Cahill expressway over the top of circular quay. I was in the left lane travelling at about 70 and there was a white rav4 in the right lane travelling at about 50. As I was passing he decided to make an un-indicated lane change to the left and squash me into the wall.
    I was close to being completely past him and something happened in my brain and I unleashed an absolutely perfect clutchless downchange with such precision and speed that before i knew it i had accelerated to well out of danger.

Needless to say there was much pointing and swearing after that. However when i got into work and had calmed down a bit I went through it in my head I think i did exactly the right thing (maybe apart from the excessive swearing at the driver afterwards). So what's the lesson? If you see danger GET THE fcuk OUT OF THERE!

Keep an eye out for those suicide cagers